MA: Boston Herald/UMass-Lowell: Warren extends lead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:03:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  MA: Boston Herald/UMass-Lowell: Warren extends lead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MA: Boston Herald/UMass-Lowell: Warren extends lead  (Read 6291 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »

I thought it was krazen who called Brown his stud candidate and Warren a nutter.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »

What relevance do you think that has?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »

At this point, registered voter polls are the standard, since it's far to early to put together sample of likely votes. It has very little relevance at all at this stage.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »

I thought it was krazen who called Brown his stud candidate and Warren a nutter.

Whatever, these two kooks are interchangeable.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 02:47:56 PM by Nathan »

Much as I respect him in other arenas, Clarence's post in this thread reminds me rhetorically and ideologically of The Temple of the Golden Pavilion to a somewhat worrying extent.

You would think someone who came from the middle class and is now worth many millions like her would appreciate someone who built his own business. "You built a factory? Good for you!" in a sarcastic, condesending tone just shows the disdain she has for American ingenuity

Actually, such people are, if they're smart, the most likely to appreciate the importance of society, social norms, and social exchange to the success of any one person.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who presumably did most of the actual work, for what it's worth.

That's great for you. Thing is, so did the people you employed, who presumably were at no point as well-off as you were or are.

I highly doubt that.

You should get that checked out.

Do we have a blatant sexism mine in the Forum Community board somewhere?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »

Nathan- you have no idea how a small business works, don't imply that I stayed in a comfy, wood paneled office in my leahter chair while my poor peasants did the hard labor.  I was at the home sites, I purchased the materials, I inspected, I managed, I did actual work

Not only that, but I was the one- not my employees - who put my savings into my business. If I had failed, the employees could walk away, find work elsewhere, but I would have gone to the poor house and my family would not have been able to eat

Small business owners are NOT CEOs in corner offices or chairmen of the board who meet once a quarter to dictate policy. Small business owners are on the ground, running something that is truly their entire life

Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »

Brown hasn't started campaigning yet.

I'd put it as a pure toss up race at the moment. Its actually amazing Brown is holding that, we have been flooded with the "big oil Brown" ads for months now. While their details are not exactly "factual," I thought those ads would be much more effective.

Honestly it depends on the top of the ticket a lot. IF its Romney Brown will not have as many seasoned political operatives at his disposal, but he won't ingrain so much anti-gop passion as a Newt would up here.

I would not say she is a "great' speaker, but neither is Scott Brown. She has a very abrasiveness character about her. However, that perception of mine could simply be an outgrowth of my utter contempt for her.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »

Nathan- you have no idea how a small business works, don't imply that I stayed in a comfy, wood paneled office in my leahter chair while my poor peasants did the hard labor.  I was at the home sites, I purchased the materials, I inspected, I managed, I did actual work

I'm sure. Just not all of it. My dad runs a small food delivery service so I'm reasonably familiar with how these things go.

Not to denigrate your work, but couldn't you have found work elsewhere as well? 'No' is a perfectly fine answer, I don't know what your situation was at that point.

If I thought that Elizabeth Warren took the view that small business owners were CEOs I imagine I'd have a problem with her too. That's not how I interpret her rhetoric, and living in Massachusetts as I do I've heard a lot more stump speeches from her in the past few months than just that one.

I would not say she is a "great' speaker, but neither is Scott Brown. She has a very abrasiveness character about her. However, that perception of mine could simply be an outgrowth of my utter contempt for her.

Considering that I nobody I know in the state, even Republicans (of whom there are some in my family including one who was actually the nominee for a statewide office last year), who finds her 'very abrasiveness' (no matter what else they think of her), that's likely the case.

There are also any number of parts of this state where people despise Mitt Romney, and not just places like Cambridge or Northampton.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 03:01:02 PM »

I could have found work eventually, but would have been swimming in debt. Dpending on when it failed- Thank God it did not -- I could have had to declare bankruptcy
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

I could have found work eventually, but would have been swimming in debt. Dpending on when it failed- Thank God it did not -- I could have had to declare bankruptcy

In that case you have my apologies, though I maintain that you're taking the import of Warren's rhetoric a little too personally and I'm reasonably certain it's not directed against people such as you.

I'm glad your business was successful.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »

Warren never mentioned small business owners in her speech and it's very clear she didn't. Of course, people can hear what they want to for political reasons, but whatever.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »

In that case you have my apologies, though I maintain that you're taking the import of Warren's rhetoric a little too personally and I'm reasonably certain it's not directed against people such as you.

Thank you Nathan... I will look into her specific policies to see what he ropinion on small businesses is, you are probably right
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »

Thank you Nathan... I will look into her specific policies to see what he ropinion on small businesses is, you are probably right

It's entirely probable that you still won't like them (I do, you probably won't) but I'm certain that she's not in fact out to destroy small businesses on purpose.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »

Registered voters are typically more Democratic than likely voters. That's especially true in Massachusetts.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »

Long ways to go, folks.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »

Obama coattails should be enough to get Warren over the line.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »

Oh, no! Look out Scott Brown: Lawrence O'Donnell, the super genius with his own MSNBC show that about six people might watch, just said that an incumbent Senator polling at 42% absolutely cannot win re-election! And why is that? Well because the undecided voters break for the challenger. Nevermind the fact that this race is about a year away. Lawrence has spoken! This one is over, folks.

I never watch that Lawrence O'Donnell show, but an incumbent who hasn't been able to get out of the upper 30's to low-mid 40's in a single poll against an opponent who is probably an even worse fit for Massachusetts than he is, should at the very least be concerned.

How is Liz a worse fit for the state then Scott Brown, the senator who poses to be moderate but has high ratings from conservative interest groups and is anti-LGBT?
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 10:12:22 PM »

University poll? No thanks. Give me PPP, or Rasmussen at the very least.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »

Unless a big game-changer occurs, Warren will win by double-digit margin. She would landslide if Santorum is the nominee.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »

NPR/MassINC poll is at 46-43 Warren, both with high favorability, Warren still with rather less-than-universal name recognition.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »

NPR/MassINC poll is at 46-43 Warren, both with high favorability, Warren still with rather less-than-universal name recognition.

Yeah, I'm way more inclined to believe that.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 05:33:56 AM »

So much with Warren running away with this. The race is still a toss up despite the media going orgasmic over her.
Vermin Supreme
Henry Clay

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:01 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2012, 03:05:56 PM by Vermin Supreme »

So much with Warren running away with this. The race is still a toss up despite the media going orgasmic over her.

?

The local media is more pro-Brown then pro-Warren and all she  needs to have what it takes to take down Scotty Brown is to have good name recognition to win the race.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »

?

The local media is more pro-Brown then pro-Warren and all she  needs is to have good name recognition to win the race.

...it is?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:52 PM »

Last poll taken has it Warren 46 Brown 43% 
http://www.scribd.com/doc/81597863/WBUR-Statewide-Poll-02-14-2012-Topline
Pages: 1 [2] 3