MA: Boston Herald/UMass-Lowell: Warren extends lead (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:05:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  MA: Boston Herald/UMass-Lowell: Warren extends lead (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Boston Herald/UMass-Lowell: Warren extends lead  (Read 6322 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: December 09, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
« edited: December 09, 2011, 02:47:56 PM by Nathan »

Much as I respect him in other arenas, Clarence's post in this thread reminds me rhetorically and ideologically of The Temple of the Golden Pavilion to a somewhat worrying extent.

You would think someone who came from the middle class and is now worth many millions like her would appreciate someone who built his own business. "You built a factory? Good for you!" in a sarcastic, condesending tone just shows the disdain she has for American ingenuity

Actually, such people are, if they're smart, the most likely to appreciate the importance of society, social norms, and social exchange to the success of any one person.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who presumably did most of the actual work, for what it's worth.

That's great for you. Thing is, so did the people you employed, who presumably were at no point as well-off as you were or are.

I highly doubt that.

You should get that checked out.

Do we have a blatant sexism mine in the Forum Community board somewhere?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »

Nathan- you have no idea how a small business works, don't imply that I stayed in a comfy, wood paneled office in my leahter chair while my poor peasants did the hard labor.  I was at the home sites, I purchased the materials, I inspected, I managed, I did actual work

I'm sure. Just not all of it. My dad runs a small food delivery service so I'm reasonably familiar with how these things go.

Not to denigrate your work, but couldn't you have found work elsewhere as well? 'No' is a perfectly fine answer, I don't know what your situation was at that point.

If I thought that Elizabeth Warren took the view that small business owners were CEOs I imagine I'd have a problem with her too. That's not how I interpret her rhetoric, and living in Massachusetts as I do I've heard a lot more stump speeches from her in the past few months than just that one.

I would not say she is a "great' speaker, but neither is Scott Brown. She has a very abrasiveness character about her. However, that perception of mine could simply be an outgrowth of my utter contempt for her.

Considering that I nobody I know in the state, even Republicans (of whom there are some in my family including one who was actually the nominee for a statewide office last year), who finds her 'very abrasiveness' (no matter what else they think of her), that's likely the case.

There are also any number of parts of this state where people despise Mitt Romney, and not just places like Cambridge or Northampton.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

I could have found work eventually, but would have been swimming in debt. Dpending on when it failed- Thank God it did not -- I could have had to declare bankruptcy

In that case you have my apologies, though I maintain that you're taking the import of Warren's rhetoric a little too personally and I'm reasonably certain it's not directed against people such as you.

I'm glad your business was successful.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:40:10 PM »

I could have found work eventually, but would have been swimming in debt. Dpending on when it failed- Thank God it did not -- I could have had to declare bankruptcy

In that case you have my apologies, though I maintain that you're taking the import of Warren's rhetoric a little too personally and I'm reasonably certain it's not directed against people such as you.

I'm glad your business was successful.

Thank you Nathan... I will look into her specific policies to see what he ropinion on small businesses is, you are probably right

It's entirely probable that you still won't like them (I do, you probably won't) but I'm certain that she's not in fact out to destroy small businesses on purpose.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »

NPR/MassINC poll is at 46-43 Warren, both with high favorability, Warren still with rather less-than-universal name recognition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies