Israeli election and demographic maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:25:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli election and demographic maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Israeli election and demographic maps  (Read 63646 times)
danny
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »
« edited: February 29, 2012, 07:09:18 PM by danny »

All the maps in this thread are in the gallery.

Map of central Israel plurality vote winner in 2009 by municipality

Note that about 3.4 million (42% of Israel population) people live in the area.

Edit: changed the original centre map to fit in with the other maps so that every part of the country is covered
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »

Fantastic, Is there anyway to add municipal names? It would be great to see who won over where... It looks like Kadima won over Tel-Aviv but thats the only local i can pin-point... i'm interested in that strong left area in the north (two green Meretz and 1 Labour).
Also, does this show the Kibbutz's?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »

I can't wait to see the northern results
danny
Israel

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:02:34 AM »

Fantastic, Is there anyway to add municipal names? It would be great to see who won over where... It looks like Kadima won over Tel-Aviv but thats the only local i can pin-point... i'm interested in that strong left area in the north (two green Meretz and 1 Labour).
Yes, it includes kibbutzim and moshavim.
The two Meretz places are Ga'ash (southern one) and Yakum(north), and the Labour one is Shefayim. All of those are kibbutzim.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »

Yes, it includes kibbutzim and moshavim.
The two Meretz places are Ga'ash (southern one) and Yakum(north), and the Labour one is Shefayim. All of those are kibbutzim.

Thanks! i thought that was the case, i knew that Labout & Meretz typically do perform better among the Kibbutzim and moshavim (thats for the plural form aswell Smiley

looking forward to the north/south

Am i right that Kadima also won Jerusalem? that just seems odd to me, as i thought Likud would out perfom there?
danny
Israel

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »

Am i right that Kadima also won Jerusalem? that just seems odd to me, as i thought Likud would out perfom there?

Not even close, Likud won, while Kadima came in fourth behind UTJ and Shas with less than half of Likuds vote.
In fact, they came in fourth in the 2006 election ( behind UTJ Shas and NU-NRP) as well even though they easily won the national vote.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »

Where do you get this data from?? I'd love to see some results from Judea and Samaria
danny
Israel

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2011, 03:23:04 PM by danny »

I edited the map to include the names of all the cities with a population above 50,000:

Big cities:
Tel Aviv (404,300)
Rishon Letzion (231,000)
Petah Tikva (211,100)

danny
Israel

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 10:47:25 AM by danny »

Where do you get this data from?? I'd love to see some results from Judea and Samaria

The data comes from the Knesset website but it's only in Hebrew.
I can get the results from the settlements, unfortunately they don't seem to have defined borders so I can't do it in map form.
But if you want the results from any specific place then tell me.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »

If you could link?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »

Not even close, Likud won, while Kadima came in fourth behind UTJ and Shas with less than half of Likuds vote.
In fact, they came in fourth in the 2006 election ( behind UTJ Shas and NU-NRP) as well even though they easily won the national vote.

NOW that makes sense... Jerusalem just sticks in my craw as being this bastian of the religious/right... My bad i was looking at that blob thats actually Modi'in-Maccabim-Re'ut (i had to look it up)

I'm with Teddy, if you have the other districts that would be awesome (Northern, Southern, Haifa and Jerusalem).... you updated it, YOU ROCK

So Ashdod i am guessing has a high Russian populartion to explain why Yisrael Beitenu took it?

How is Labour perfoming under Shelly Yachimovich?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:52 AM »

I'd be willing to sit with a blank map and translator and map some of these results myself.
danny
Israel

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 10:52:11 AM »

Here (doesn't work on firefox).
danny
Israel

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »

NOW that makes sense... Jerusalem just sticks in my craw as being this bastian of the religious/right... My bad i was looking at that blob thats actually Modi'in-Maccabim-Re'ut (i had to look it up)

It very much is a bastion of the right It was about 75%-25% for the right-religious against everyone else.

I'm with Teddy, if you have the other districts that would be awesome (Northern, Southern, Haifa and Jerusalem).... you updated it, YOU ROCK
I plan on doing the rest of the country eventually but I can't promise anything about when.

So Ashdod i am guessing has a high Russian populartion to explain why Yisrael Beitenu took it?
Yes, huge, the biggest in Israel.

How is Labour perfoming under Shelly Yachimovich?

Better than with Barak beating Kadima to second but not a threat Likud right now.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:33:30 AM »

baby steps labour Tongue
I hope Meretz manages to get its act together too... seems like the Left took a massive blow in 2009... I don't consider kadima left so

Can you exlpain the difference between all those religious parties? (Shas, UTJ, National Union, Jewish Home)?

Israel is generally held up as a mess of an example of why PR list with a low threshold can get... complicated (being nice)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »

Well, yes. The first step must be rebuilding...

Anyways, great maps. Do you have anything showing results inside Tel Aviv?
danny
Israel

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

baby steps labour Tongue
I hope Meretz manages to get its act together too... seems like the Left took a massive blow in 2009... I don't consider kadima left so

Can you exlpain the difference between all those religious parties? (Shas, UTJ, National Union, Jewish Home)?

Israel is generally held up as a mess of an example of why PR list with a low threshold can get... complicated (being nice)
UTJ is union of two parties:
The Lithuanian Haredi Degel Hatorah which is the party for non-hasidic, ashkenazi, ultra orthodox Jews.
Agudat Israel is the hasidic party (who are also overwhelmingly ashkenazi).
combined UTJ acts as a party for all Ultra orthodox ashkenazi jews (except for chabad).

Shas is the party of Sephardi ultra orthodox, however most of its vote comes from non-ultra orthodox sephardim.

National Union is a union of 4 parties, which range in religion from secular to a kind of mixture of ultra orthodoxy and the more religiously moderate "religious Zionism"  called "hardal". the common denominator for this group is extreme hawkish views.

Jewish Home is the descendant of the National Religious party, the formerly general party for the religious Zionism it wasn't originally a right wing party at all but drifted right over time as religious people in general have. It's basically a more pragmatic version of the NU.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

Now what I'd really like to see is party strength maps for the Arab parties. Tongue
danny
Israel

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 12:53:44 PM by danny »

Well, yes. The first step must be rebuilding...

Anyways, great maps. Do you have anything showing results inside Tel Aviv?
Here is a link] to a PDF document in Hebrew, if you scroll to the bottom there are maps:

Kadima is purple.
Likud is blue.
Labour is orange.
Meretz is green.
Shas is light blue.
Israel Beitenu is red.
Others is yellow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »

Diolch!
danny
Israel

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »

Croeso
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »

Interesting North/South divide there eh...
North end (minus the coast) is where Labour i strongest, i'm guessing working class. Kadima also looks to dominate here especially on the coast

The central wards (3-6) is where Meretz is strongest (5&6 look to be equal to Labour) thats not surprising; probably artsy, secular, mixed; very Copenhagen looking

South is all Likud, probably wealthy... but in ward 7, Yellow has strength, would that be an arab or religious party?

I would assume Israeli-arabs would vote for Hadash or Balad... then Labour, Meretz, Kadima. The arab parties then the more dovish ones?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »

IIRC the best Meretz parts of Tel Aviv are middle class lefty clichéland. Main division would presumably be ethnic though, especially with Labour and Likud. I may be wrong.
danny
Israel

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 01:35:22 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2011, 01:47:15 PM by danny »

North end (minus the coast) is where Labour i strongest, i'm guessing working class. Kadima also looks to dominate here especially on the coast

The central wards (3-6) is where Meretz is strongest (5&6 look to be equal to Labour) thats not surprising; probably artsy, secular, mixed; very Copenhagen looking

South is all Likud, probably wealthy... but in ward 7, Yellow has strength, would that be an arab or religious party?

I would assume Israeli-arabs would vote for Hadash or Balad... then Labour, Meretz, Kadima. The arab parties then the more dovish ones?

You have it mixed up, in Israel, as a general rule, amongst Jews, rich people vote for the left(now also including Kadima) while the poor vote for the right.

The central wards are indeed secular and artsy (and gay) but I wouldn't call it mixed, in Israeli ethno-religious sense its quite homogenic (young secular Ashkenazi).

The North is the super wealthy part (and thus a high vote for Kadima and Labour).

The south is the poor (and more sephardi) area.

The area with a lot of yellow includes Jaffa, the Arab part who vote for the Arab parties.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »

You have it mixed up, in Israel, as a general rule, amongst Jews, rich people vote for the left(now also including Kadima) while the poor vote for the right.

The central wards are indeed secular and artsy (and gay) but I wouldn't call it mixed, in Israeli ethno-religious sense its quite homogenic (young secular Ashkenazi).

The North is the super wealthy part (and thus a high vote for Kadima and Labour).

The south poor area.

The area with a lot of yellow includes Jaffa, the Arab part who vote for the Arab parties.

Huhh thats rather interesting... my guess is wealth=education=knowledge of the issues... therefore they are more likely to vote for parties who are less reactionist. Thats my leftwing analogy.

Like you mentioned above the religious groups seem to vote along different paterns, do the Ashkenazi, Sephardi, Mizrahi, Beta ... (missing any?) vote along those paterns?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies