the bermanmander revisited
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  the bermanmander revisited
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the bermanmander revisited  (Read 781 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2011, 05:33:30 PM by Atari Democrat »

I decided to do a what-if to see what the 01 CA gerrymander would look like if it was cleaner meaning that there weren't excessive county splits. Here is my map:

had this been the actual map, how do you think things would play out? Here are my observations

- Linda Sanchez is never elected to congress

- Steve Horn and Gary Miller are double-bunked due to LA county having to go down a seat

- A new district is created in San Berdoo county that Miller probably runs in.

- I don't think Horn retires and he runs in the 39th and is easily re-elected. I think he eventually retires or dies in office (he died last February). The seat would then go democrat upon his retirement or death but it would have to be a blue dog because a seat like that wouldn't elect someone like Pete Stark.

- I think the 42nd district in SB County would have a PVI of around R+6. Miller would probably be OK, but might have a close election due to his ethical baggage.

- Dreier probably would have gotten the axe in 2006 I'm guessing.

- McKeon might have had a close election in 06 or 08 as it takes in a few hispanic precincts in the SFV. He probably still wins though.

- Both Gallegly and Capps might have lost under this map.

- Calvert is a lot safer here.

- The 11th would have played out the same despite looking cleaner. Dirty Dick wins re-election in 02 and 04. After learning about his connection with abramoff, he loses in 06. McNerney has a semi-solid re-election in 08 with about a twelve point victory in 08 and has a close call in 2010.

Any other comments about the map?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »

?What are your partisan numbers
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:31 AM »

I decided to do a what-if to see what the 01 CA gerrymander would look like if it was cleaner meaning that there weren't excessive county splits. Here is my map:

had this been the actual map, how do you think things would play out? Here are my observations

- Linda Sanchez is never elected to congress

- Steve Horn and Gary Miller are double-bunked due to LA county having to go down a seat

- A new district is created in San Berdoo county that Miller probably runs in.

- I don't think Horn retires and he runs in the 39th and is easily re-elected. I think he eventually retires or dies in office (he died last February). The seat would then go democrat upon his retirement or death but it would have to be a blue dog because a seat like that wouldn't elect someone like Pete Stark.

- I think the 42nd district in SB County would have a PVI of around R+6. Miller would probably be OK, but might have a close election due to his ethical baggage.

- Dreier probably would have gotten the axe in 2006 I'm guessing.

- McKeon might have had a close election in 06 or 08 as it takes in a few hispanic precincts in the SFV. He probably still wins though.

- Both Gallegly and Capps might have lost under this map.

- Calvert is a lot safer here.

- The 11th would have played out the same despite looking cleaner. Dirty Dick wins re-election in 02 and 04. After learning about his connection with abramoff, he loses in 06. McNerney has a semi-solid re-election in 08 with about a twelve point victory in 08 and has a close call in 2010.

Any other comments about the map?
Probably your right on Drier. Wasn't his current district getting more minority populated anyway as it was? I mean his current district as it was was an R+3 district. Not safe for him by any means. Now he is retiring. I think if he ran in the configured 26th it would be hard for him to win. Alot of minorities in that district I have heard. I will miss him in Congress though. He always tried to be the adult in the room.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies