Alberta 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:52:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]
Author Topic: Alberta 2012  (Read 87596 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:39 PM »

Alberta is more like Texas or Montana.

I've been told its more OK or UT than TX or MT, but to me it's more like Alabama or Georgia.

Well, the border area is like Utah in the sense that there are a lot of Mormons there. But, I'm not sure why it would be like the US south at all. It's not poor, it doesn't have a huge number of African Americans, it has very different industries. They might both be conservative, but Alberta is far more libertarian than the south, which is more populist. I'd say parts of Ontario are more like the US south (SW Ontario, Central and Eastern Ontario maybe), but even that's a stretch.

There's also a few communities in Nova Scotia that have descendants of the underground railroad. I believe they still have a southern dialect.
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #551 on: April 26, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »

It tells you something about Canada compared to the US that Alberta is by far the most rightwing province in Canada, and even in Alberta Danielle Smith of Wildrose stated that she favoured same sex marriage and abortion rights and still got crushed in the election because Albertans saw her as a rightwing crackpot.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #552 on: April 26, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »

Texas seems like a fairly reasonable comparison, with Dallas taking the place of Calgary and Houston that of Edmonton.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #553 on: April 26, 2012, 03:33:12 PM »

It tells you something about Canada compared to the US that Alberta is by far the most rightwing province in Canada, and even in Alberta Danielle Smith of Wildrose stated that she favoured same sex marriage and abortion rights and still got crushed in the election because Albertans saw her as a rightwing crackpot.

Well, those issues are federal ones.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #554 on: April 26, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

Texas seems like a fairly reasonable comparison, with Dallas taking the place of Calgary and Houston that of Edmonton.

Why because of the Houston Oilers are the Edmonton Oilers? Heh. Parts of Edmonton are more like Austin, really.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »

Strange map. I noticed the key is different from mine, as I used percentage of ballots while used percentage of votes.

Indeed strange. I wasn't sure the best way to total votes because of it being multiple fptp. Any advice would be appreciated. I picked the scale after arranging a column of maximum vote percentages in ascending order but percentage of ballots might give a different scale.

My observations - I'm guessing the Germain was from St Paul or somewhere up that way. Evergreen won in E-Strathcona. Shaikh sounds like he might be of a non-white ethnicity, he may have links to (be from) the C-McCall or C-Greenway community. Bracko was the former Liberal MLA from St Albert.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can see, but you know the US South is BOTH Libertarian and Populist, and I don't see how Ontario is like the US South, I find it more like CA or NY.

I see Houston more like Calgary because of the oil industries, but unlike Calgary; Houston is liberal inner-city proper with conservative suburbs. Calgary seems to be conservative all over no matter where.

adma
« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:31 PM »

I see Houston more like Calgary because of the oil industries, but unlike Calgary; Houston is liberal inner-city proper with conservative suburbs. Calgary seems to be conservative all over no matter where.

Then again, the whys and wherefores of US racial politics play a big part in that--and of course, provincially, the central two Calgary seats remain Liberal.

(And beyond that, we can also USify the election by viewing Redford as the incumbent Democratic governor and Smith as her Republican challenger.  Remember: by US standards, Canadian conservativism can be quite moderate or even "liberal"--certainly so in Redford's case)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #558 on: April 26, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »

If Alberta were actually part of the US, it would probably be a lean Democratic state... something like Colorado but with a more urban population. I doubt Edmonton and Calgary would be good areas for socially conservative Republicans. But then again it's hard to know what Alberta would be like as a US state because surely it would have a very different set of people.

If analogous with America, then it would have to be Utah just based on voting patterns with a central city that every once in a while doesn't vote Republican.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2012, 09:59:41 PM by BaldEagle1991 »

If analogous with America, then it would have to be Utah just based on voting patterns with a central city that every once in a while doesn't vote Republican.

I may have to agree with you slightly there. I don't know why people compare Alberta to Texas anyway, other than oil and cattle they have NOTHING in common.

Not entirely some of Houston's neighboorhoods that are mostly White like The Heights, Montrose, and Midtown vote Democratic.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »

I may have to agree with you slightly there. I don't know why people compare Alberta to Texas anyway, other than oil and cattle they have NOTHING in common.

Not entirely some of Houston's neighboorhoods that are mostly White like The Heights, Montrose, and Midtown vote Democratic.
I looked over Dave's map and there are maybe 10 precints which are majority white and democratic total in DFW, and maybe same in Houston. Austin is better in that regard obviously. Still need a few more years before the white city dwellers in Texas get accustomed to urban problems.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »

I looked over Dave's map and there are maybe 10 precints which are majority white and democratic total in DFW, and maybe same in Houston. Austin is better in that regard obviously. Still need a few more years before the white city dwellers in Texas get accustomed to urban problems.

What map of precincts? I'm new and need to know where.

As for the white city dwellers, they are already accustomed to urban problems, and for that they'll likely move out.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #562 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:53 AM »

What map of precincts? I'm new and need to know where.

Scroll down a couple of boards, to "Political Geography and Demographics" within the "General Politics" cluster of boards. You are then looking for the DRA, which stands for Dave's Redistricting App (I've included the link to the thread so you can find it).

Have fun!!! (I shouldn't have told you about this... we probably won't see you for the next three weeks... it's seriously addictive!!!).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #563 on: April 28, 2012, 04:17:47 AM »

Why because of the Houston Oilers are the Edmonton Oilers? Heh. Parts of Edmonton are more like Austin, really.

And Calgary is an overgrown Lubbock. (And so are the suburban parts of Edmonton, of course.)

But yeah, Alberta is basically Montana with cities. Heh, maybe East Washington works best as a parallel.
adma
« Reply #564 on: April 28, 2012, 04:46:21 AM »

Then again, I can also see Alberta as the kind of place which swung significantly ObamaBiden-ward in 2008, a la the Midwest/Mountain states (Utah not excluded).

As far as 2008 McCain-Palin swingers go...is there a Canadian equivalent at all?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #565 on: April 28, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »

Then again, I can also see Alberta as the kind of place which swung significantly ObamaBiden-ward in 2008, a la the Midwest/Mountain states (Utah not excluded).

As far as 2008 McCain-Palin swingers go...is there a Canadian equivalent at all?

I actually think the state closest to Alberta in terms of political values is Colorado.  The Deep South and Texas as well as Utah are a lot more conservative.  Yes the Democrats do win in Colorado sometimes but the right is more right wing in the US and the left is less left wing.  The Democrats would be like the PCs in Alberta and the Republicans like the WRA.  Colorado is generally fairly libertarian although not to the extent of same Ayn Rand much like Alberta while not that socially conservative except for a few pockets like in Alberta.  Also you have a similiar rural vs. urban split and in terms of religion a somewhat similiar profile unlike the South was is largely Evangelical Protestant and Utah which is mormon.  Alberta actually has the second highest percentage of no religious preference in Canada after BC.  In general in both Canada and the US, the West is the least religious.  Someone who is libertarian generally doesn't like rules, so they would not support left wing parties that advocate a more interventionist government, but also be wary of the church too. 
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #566 on: April 28, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »

Having family from Alberta, I can give a good take on what happened here.  I don't think the Wildrose lost for anyone reason, but rather a combination of being seen as too extreme, but also too inexperienced and not ready to form government.  Even some who are more philosophically aligned with the WRA voted PC since they felt they were not ready for government, but could easily switch in 2016 if they show they are ready.  Even with the PC win, Alberta is still a Conservative province, not just not an ultra-conservative one and never was to begin with.  They elected Lougheed over 30 years ago who was a Red Tory like Alison Redford.  Yes they went Reform Party in the 90s, but so did BC, so some of that was a protest vote as I doubt all of those who voted Reform would have voted for them had they actually had a chance at forming government and thus would have come under greater scrutiny.  Ralph Klein was more conservative, but no more so than Mike Harris who won Ontario during the same period.  In 1993, Canada was downgraded and faced a debt crisis almost as bad as Greece and Portugal thus many not normally on the right voted for parties who promised to radically slash government spending simply as a reaction to the debt issue.  Even the Liberals federally made spending cuts far greater than the Tories now are making and interestingly enough the UK government based much of their budget cuts on what Martin did as finance minister in the 90s. 

In terms of social conservatism, Alberta isn't now nor has been a socially conservative province.  Yes the rural South is, but the Fraser Valley in BC, rural Southern New Brunswick, and parts of Central and Eastern Ontario are too.  Albertans generally don't care if you are gay, what your religion is, or ethnicity.  They only care about who you are as a person.

In terms of libertarianism, I think Alberta is libertarian in terms of they support a hands off approach government and are wary of an activist government, but not the Ayn Rand pure libertarianism is most still support universal health care and a free education system from K-12.  I would argue they still want less government so Redford has to be careful to not go too left wing or she may face trouble in 2016, but not try to out right wing the WRA either.  Lets remember in May 2011, 67% of Albertans voted Conservative while on 34% voted WRA meaning many federal Conservatives did stick with the PCs and with the combined right vote of 78%, that means around 3/4 of PC voters are federal Conservatives while only 1/4 strategic Liberal or NDP voters as well as some Liberals were probably centrist to begin with and voted for Joe Clark and Peter Lougheed, but found people like Harper or Klein too conservative so went Liberal then but have since returned, thus not all strategic votes. 

Also outside Edmonton, most ridings in Calgary and rural Alberta were won by less than 10% meaning it would take that big a voter shift to flip the results upside down to 60+ WRA seats and fewer than 20 PC seats.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #567 on: April 28, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »

If Alberta were actually part of the US, it would probably be a lean Democratic state... something like Colorado but with a more urban population. I doubt Edmonton and Calgary would be good areas for socially conservative Republicans. But then again it's hard to know what Alberta would be like as a US state because surely it would have a very different set of people.

I'm curious (this is obviously an unanswerable question, but I feel like posing it anyway)...considering the amount of influence a state of Alberta's size has on US politics, if Alberta joined the US, would the US tack left or would Alberta tack right?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #568 on: April 28, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »

I'm curious (this is obviously an unanswerable question, but I feel like posing it anyway)...considering the amount of influence a state of Alberta's size has on US politics, if Alberta joined the US, would the US tack left or would Alberta tack right?

Neither I would say.  It is probably the only province that would be a swing state whereas every province would be a solid blue state.  Besides Ontario and Quebec are the only two provinces large enough to have much impact anyways unless it was a close election.  Both would go solidly Democrat the only difference is Quebec would be like DC in terms of Democrat support while Ontario would be more like the Southern New England states (MA, RI and CT) and New York.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #569 on: April 29, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »

Yeah... Alberta has a population about the size of Connecticut, so the influence would be limited. Only if the entirety of Canada was added would the US shift, and most definitely to the Left.

With time, Alberta and Saskatchewan would probably be opportunities for Republicans, but I don't know if anywhere else would.

Canada is becoming more right-wing unfortunately (IMO), so perhaps one day it will be very similar to the US.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #570 on: April 30, 2012, 01:09:09 AM »

Actually Ontario would be large enough to have an impact if a swing state as it is roughly the same size as Illinois, bigger than Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, while only smaller than California, Florida, New York, and Texas.  For example in 2000 and 2004, Bush likely wouldn't have won had Ontario been a state.  In the case of Alberta in 2000 it could have tipped things in favour of Al Gore if it went for him, but that election was a razor thin win so pretty much any state could have tipped the results in Gore's favour. 

As for Canada moving to the right, I would argue no more so than the US and Europe are.  Both of those areas are more conservative than they were 30 years ago.  I would argue there are two primary reasons for this.  The main one is you have an aging population and generally older people are more conservative than younger ones.

The other is shifting demographics in terms of area.  Generally the poorer areas which tend to lean more left are losing people while the more affluent regions which tend to lean more to the right are growing.  In the case of Canada, that would be Quebec and Atlantic Canada losing, while the West gaining, for the US, the rust belt states losing and sun belt states gaining, in Britain population loss in the Industrial North while gaining in the South of England and in the case of Germany, loss in East Germany and the Northern areas while growing in Southern Germany. 

Even shift in city population is having an impact too.  Here in Toronto, the downtown which has always been more left leaning isn't really growing while the 905 suburbs which are more conservative is where all the growth is.  Off course the hard right areas in both countries are losing people in many cases as rural areas are generally declining in population.  I believe in 2004, Bush won 97 of the 100 fastest growing counties, whereas here in Canada, the fastest growing areas are either Conservative or at least competitive for them (905 suburbs, Central Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, bedroom communities surrounding Calgary and Edmonton, Okanagan Valley, Fraser Valley, Surrey, Richmond, North Nanaimo-Comox area).  By contrast the areas with almost no growth or losing population are generally not conservative friendly areas (Rural Newfoundland, Cape Breton Island, Acadian Coast of New Brunswick, Northern Quebec, Northern Ontario, the Territories).
Nichlemn

« Reply #571 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:21 AM »

Actually Ontario would be large enough to have an impact if a swing state as it is roughly the same size as Illinois, bigger than Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, while only smaller than California, Florida, New York, and Texas.  For example in 2000 and 2004, Bush likely wouldn't have won had Ontario been a state.  In the case of Alberta in 2000 it could have tipped things in favour of Al Gore if it went for him, but that election was a razor thin win so pretty much any state could have tipped the results in Gore's favour. 

As for Canada moving to the right, I would argue no more so than the US and Europe are.  Both of those areas are more conservative than they were 30 years ago.  I would argue there are two primary reasons for this.  The main one is you have an aging population and generally older people are more conservative than younger ones.

The other is shifting demographics in terms of area.  Generally the poorer areas which tend to lean more left are losing people while the more affluent regions which tend to lean more to the right are growing.  In the case of Canada, that would be Quebec and Atlantic Canada losing, while the West gaining, for the US, the rust belt states losing and sun belt states gaining, in Britain population loss in the Industrial North while gaining in the South of England and in the case of Germany, loss in East Germany and the Northern areas while growing in Southern Germany. 

Even shift in city population is having an impact too.  Here in Toronto, the downtown which has always been more left leaning isn't really growing while the 905 suburbs which are more conservative is where all the growth is.  Off course the hard right areas in both countries are losing people in many cases as rural areas are generally declining in population.  I believe in 2004, Bush won 97 of the 100 fastest growing counties, whereas here in Canada, the fastest growing areas are either Conservative or at least competitive for them (905 suburbs, Central Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, bedroom communities surrounding Calgary and Edmonton, Okanagan Valley, Fraser Valley, Surrey, Richmond, North Nanaimo-Comox area).  By contrast the areas with almost no growth or losing population are generally not conservative friendly areas (Rural Newfoundland, Cape Breton Island, Acadian Coast of New Brunswick, Northern Quebec, Northern Ontario, the Territories).

What if Canada was part of the United States?

Kerry wins if Canada is a whole is a state, but just barely. Ontario alone wouldn't do it, since Bush had a 35 EV margin over Kerry and Ontario would only have about 20EVs.
adma
« Reply #572 on: April 30, 2012, 07:04:49 AM »

On paper, the "changing demographics favouring the right wing" argument makes sense.  But if we go according to US parameters, a lot of that fast-growth-burbia may be too cosmopolitan for present-day Republicans.  (And remember, too, that there's a common countervailing demographic factor: as the right-friendly outer 'burbs boom, the aging inner burbs swing away from the right.  Notwithstanding Harper's 905/416 inroads, Ford Nation, etc.)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #573 on: April 30, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

On paper, the "changing demographics favouring the right wing" argument makes sense.  But if we go according to US parameters, a lot of that fast-growth-burbia may be too cosmopolitan for present-day Republicans.  (And remember, too, that there's a common countervailing demographic factor: as the right-friendly outer 'burbs boom, the aging inner burbs swing away from the right.  Notwithstanding Harper's 905/416 inroads, Ford Nation, etc.)

I was more referring to moving to the centre-right.  Certainly those areas not hard right.  Here in Canada the 905 belt doesn't blindly go Tory, in fact provincially it went Liberal and it took a few elections before Harper won it, otherwise it is centre-right as opposed to the more left leaning Downtown, but certainly not hard right.  The same could be said about the Alberta election as Calgary which is fast growing is definitely a right leaning city, but the WRA was a little too far right for them much like the tea party and religious right are for some US city suburbs. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #574 on: April 30, 2012, 06:57:20 PM »

My analysis: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2012/04/2012-alberta-provincial-election.html
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies