Alberta 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Author Topic: Alberta 2012  (Read 87718 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:07 AM »

Cheesy Expect some different numbers in my next projection, as I compile a lot of feedback I have got, plus that strategic vote site, that seems to be getting some "on the ground" feedback which I wish I could get (well, I'm getting some at least).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #301 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:32 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2012, 11:24:53 AM by Hatman »

BTW, CBC did a poll that was released today (first post debate poll that I can see)

WRP: 43 (what else is new?)
PC: 36
Lib: 11
NDP: 9

Big surprise out of Calgary:
WRP: 45, PC 41 (lots of strategic votes from Liberals going to the Tories)
In Edmonton:
WRP 37, PC 31 (huh?)
Rural areas
WRP: 52, PC 31

Not sure how valid this poll is, I'd like to see some more post debate polls

ETA:

Calgary
WRP: 45
PC 41
NDP: 8
Lib: 5

Edmonton
WRP: 37
PC: 31
Lib: 19
NDP: 12 (yeah, right...)

Conclusion: Junk poll
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #302 on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

New prediction Smiley http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2012/04/2012-alberta-election-prediction-april_16.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #303 on: April 16, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »

Smiley
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #304 on: April 16, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »

As always, some great work, Earl!

I plan on sharing on Facebook later today (perhaps over lunch, or after 5), when all my work-related friends won't think I have it open at the office all day...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #305 on: April 16, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »

Excellent. Looks like I've already got a few ridings wrong though (read comments). But that's good. People don't complain when you get things right. And I want to get this right.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2012, 07:41:44 AM »

I wasn't expecting this:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/04/16/alberta-ndp-boss-lands-lethbridge-leader

I don't think it will change the NDPs fortunes in Lethbridge, but might help their numbers esp in LWest where the NDP was really hoping they could have a strong showing. Could this push them over the top to win? probably not, but might help them bust through 20%

Great work Earl, Ya i was wondering why Calder was in the too-close-to-call... I think if anything this is the next NDP riding since Eggan has more "name cred" then Bilous (beverly-clearview) but i agree the NDP "should" be able to skate away with 4 at a minimum, 6 if the votes get split their way (Glenora and maybe Gold Bar... or Riverview or Manning).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »

I saw that endorsement, and I gave the NDP candidate a 5 point bump there.

If comments on my blog are any indication, seats where the WRP will win are going to be rather random, and depending on local campaigns. Maybe I should troll the 308.com comments to see what people are saying there, as he gets more comments, and probably many of them (unfulfilled) complaints.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39:40 AM »

I'm not sure Earl. Most comments on 308 are stupid mindless hacks who get into trite debates with other hacks, I haven't noticed a lot of more serious complaints about his predictions.

Anyhow, good luck with your predictions. I hope you do better than 308 so that you can prove that UNS/scientific/math-based predictions are stupid.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »

I'm not sure Earl. Most comments on 308 are stupid mindless hacks who get into trite debates with other hacks, I haven't noticed a lot of more serious complaints about his predictions.

Anyhow, good luck with your predictions. I hope you do better than 308 so that you can prove that UNS/scientific/math-based predictions are stupid.

I've been getting stupid mindless hacks on my site too Sad But, there have been some serious complaints as well. Some of them are "WHY DO YOU HAVE SUCH AND SUCH AHEAD THAT'S NOT WHAT'S HAPPENING", but that's ok, I realize that's how I would probably comment as well if it were someone else's blog.
DL
Canada

« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »

Regarding Lethbridge, keep in mind that the federal NDP got 27% of the vote in 2011 and the federal riding is not just the city of Lethbridge but also includes a lot of rock-ribbed Tory rural areas. The University of lethbridge did a poll of the two Lethbridge provincial seats in February and they had the NDP at 20% in Leth-West back then.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »

Regarding Lethbridge, keep in mind that the federal NDP got 27% of the vote in 2011 and the federal riding is not just the city of Lethbridge but also includes a lot of rock-ribbed Tory rural areas. The University of lethbridge did a poll of the two Lethbridge provincial seats in February and they had the NDP at 20% in Leth-West back then.

Good to know. I do warn you that a lot of that support was inflated because of the terrible Conservative candidate in the riding. But it is a good point. Outside of the Lethbridge proper, that riding has to be the most right wing in Alberta (or Canada, for that matter) because of all the Mormons.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #312 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »

Forum Research Poll

WRP: 40 (-3)
PC: 33 (+2)
NDP: 12 (+1)
Lib: 10 (n/c)

Calgary
WRP: 46 (-4)
PC: 32 (n/c)
Lib: 11 (+3)
NDP: 6 (-2)

*scratches head*

Edmonton
PC: 38 (+6)
WRP: 26 (-3)
NDP: 18 (n/c)
Lib: 13 (-3)

This makes more sense

North
WRP: 41
PC: 32
NDP: 19 (!)

Tightening up. Small sample size though.

Central
WRP: 50
PC: 30
NDP: 10

South
WRP: 49
PC: 26
NDP: 10
Lib: 8

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #313 on: April 17, 2012, 02:05:58 PM »

What's going on? Is it that homophobe's blog comments, stat noise? :puzzled:
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #314 on: April 17, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »

This election is probably somewhat hard to poll as it's a new alignment. I wouldn't read anything into minor swings.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #315 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

It's an election that happens to be taking place within the country of Canada. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #316 on: April 17, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »

Now that I compare it, the last FR poll had the Liberals much lower in Calgary than other pollsters, so that's more of a correction than a gain in support.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »

Do you really expect Calgary to be almost all WRP? I'd expect at least ~5 PC seats in there. I'd expect at least 15 PC seats, just from the Calgary and Edmonton burbs & city, just because of Liberal strategical voting and variance in similar ridings based on dumb things WRP candidates say.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »

Leaders losing control?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/politics/Exhausted+parties+losing+control+says+political+analyst+week+before/6469227/story.html

Shocker.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Wildrose%20Party,%20Danielle%20Smith,%20favoured%20by%20Tory%20MPs,%20says%20Rob%20Anders/6467641/story.html

Not so shocking.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Alison+Redford+condemns+Wildrose+party+having+small+Alberta+vision/6473474/story.html

Assholes. Leave Klein alone.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/04/15/kleins-wife-friends-angry-at-pc-criticism-of-sick-ex-premier/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #319 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »

Do you really expect Calgary to be almost all WRP? I'd expect at least ~5 PC seats in there. I'd expect at least 15 PC seats, just from the Calgary and Edmonton burbs & city, just because of Liberal strategical voting and variance in similar ridings based on dumb things WRP candidates say.

This is part of the fun: Trying to figure out where the WRP wont win. All I can do is use uniform swings in most cases until someone says that there is a reason why a certain candidate will not win.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #320 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »

This is part of the fun: Trying to figure out where the WRP wont win. All I can do is use uniform swings in most cases until someone says that there is a reason why a certain candidate will not win.
Well you could try to use demographic maps and past voting behavior to see where the bigger swings would happen. Also see which candidates made the news(positive or negative) and give them handicap/penalty swing. Like for example the person I posted earlier in this thread. I guess you will still be off by a lot since you can't asses what's happening on the local level that doesn't make the news.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #321 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »

Well you could try to use demographic maps and past voting behavior to see where the bigger swings would happen. Also see which candidates made the news(positive or negative) and give them handicap/penalty swing. Like for example the person I posted earlier in this thread. I guess you will still be off by a lot since you can't asses what's happening on the local level that doesn't make the news.

I could, but that's very time consuming. Plus, most of Calgary is fairly demographically homogenous, so the only thing preventing most ridings from going WRP will be candidate strength. I'm going to let others let me know what's going on. That way, if I get something wrong, I can say "well, so and so said this" or "no one said anything" Wink
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #322 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2012, 07:34:05 PM by seatown »

I could, but that's very time consuming. Plus, most of Calgary is fairly demographically homogenous, so the only thing preventing most ridings from going WRP will be candidate strength. I'm going to let others let me know what's going on. That way, if I get something wrong, I can say "well, so and so said this" or "no one said anything" Wink
Well you could at least change the prediction of total seats to be a bit more PC favorable since the random swings are likely to favor them, and say give a statistical 66% confidence interval Wink instead of just counting up the seats as based on a uniform swing. I don't think Alberta will have a jihad with 70 extreme right-wingers getting elected. Even in 2010 in US, some southern states still voted democratic(Arkansas), and I don't think this is nearly as serious.
I'd put the 2(95% confidence) deviation number of Wildrose seats between 45-65.
adma
« Reply #323 on: April 17, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

At this point, the least-likelies are probably the seats of Mason and Notley, if that can be taken as a hint-hint.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #324 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »

At this point, the least-likelies are probably the seats of Mason and Notley, if that can be taken as a hint-hint.

Duly noted Wink
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies