Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 10:27:40 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments
| | | |-+  MA: New Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MA: New Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act (Statute)  (Read 1843 times)
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2011, 04:51:51 am »
Ignore

New Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act

1. The Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act is hereby repealed.

2. There shall be a 20% tax increase on all marijuana substances in the Mideast.

3. a) 50% of the money collected by this tax shall fund the Mideast Victim Compensation Act.

b) 45% of the money collected by this tax shall be used for the establishment of the Mideast Cannabis Prevention Center, which shall be supervised by the Mideast Department of Health. The main task of the Mideast Cannabis Prevention Center is to inform the public on the harmful effects of marijuana and organize regular marijuana prevention activities in public schools.

c) 5% of the money collected by this tax shall fund the creation of community murals as specified in Section 3 in the Keep our Region Clean and Free from Vandalism Act.
Sponsor: ZuWo
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:29:56 pm by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »Logged
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:09 am »
Ignore

Fellow Assemblymen, a few points need explaining.

First of all, I'm generally against raising taxes since I want our economy to remain prosperous. That's why I remain strongly opposed to the idea of raising taxes on businesses and hard-working people. However, I regard a tax hike on marijuana as justifiable for three main reasons:

- There may be a certain prevention effect when it becomes more expensive to buy marijuana
- Our region can use the additional money for the projects outlined in Section 3 of this Act - these are projects which I think serve a noble purpose
- Raising taxes on marijuana does not have the same detrimental effect on our economy as raising taxes on businesses or a large number of people would - this tax only affects a small minority of the population

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:08:51 pm »
Ignore

I'm for the tax increase.

tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:54:46 am »
Ignore

Hmm, undecided. We all know I could get behind cigarettes, though. Wink

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
-Jackie Robinson
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:13 am »
Ignore

Would you like to see an amendment to the bill?
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:40:35 am »
Ignore

I'll have to think on it for a few hours. I'm not sure if I'm for 20%. Is there presently a tax on it?

-Jackie Robinson
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:57:46 am »
Ignore

I'll have to think on it for a few hours. I'm not sure if I'm for 20%. Is there presently a tax on it?

The current Marijuana Taxation Act says this:

1. Whereas, the consumption of marijuana is legal, in accordance with FL 6-19, the Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act.
2. There shall be a 10% tax increase on all marijuana substances in the Mideast
3. All money collected by this tax shall fund The Mideast Victim Compensation Act.
4. The 1% sales tax increase on gun purchases set in The Mideast Victim Compensation Act, is hereby repealed.

I assume this is based on an existing marijuana tax in the ME, though I couldn't find any concrete bill in the wiki that regulates marijuana taxation. Also, in the ME budget thread a tax on marijuana is listed on the revenue page. The only problem is that the budget has not been passed yet.
So, based on the current marijuana taxation act I assume that there must be a tax in place. But where can we read up on it? Tongue
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »
Ignore

If we repealed the bill that repealed the gun tax, would that reinstate it? Because we certainly don't want that.

-Jackie Robinson
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »
Ignore

If we repealed the bill that repealed the gun tax, would that reinstate it? Because we certainly don't want that.

I don't think so. In my understanding, once a bill is repealed it remains repealed untill it is passed and explicitly reinstated by the same chamber again.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:49:25 pm »
Ignore

According to GM shua, these two federal tax bills on marijuana are in effect:

http://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/National_Sin_Tax_Act
http://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Amendment_to_the_Marijuana_Legalization_and_Taxation_Act

But since these are federal taxes, I guess the tax increase mentioned in this bill, which is a specifically ME piece of legislation, has nothing to do with them ... is that correct?
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 03:52:41 am »
Ignore

Any amendments?
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:04:32 am »
Ignore

I'm opposed to this for several reasons.

1. I'm opposed to the increase.
2. I'm opposed to subsection b).
3. I'm opposed to the repeal of the gun tax increase.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 10:42:42 am »
Ignore

Just to get it right, do you approve of the 1% tax increase that the Mideast Victim Compensation Act established or not (since I assume you're not in favor of higher taxes I assume "no")? Because in the old Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act, that 1% tax increase was repealed.

If anything, I could propose an amendment to this New Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act that specifies that said tax increase remains repealed. That'd be no problem to me.

Point 1 and 2 you listed are not negiotiable, though. Tongue
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 10:52:34 am »
Ignore

I propose this amendment to make doubly sure we aren't reinstating the gun tax.

Meanwhile, we really need a budget for any of this to make sense.

1. The Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act is hereby repealed. The 1% gun tax repealed in the Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act will remain repealed.

2. There shall be a 20% tax increase on all marijuana substances in the Mideast.

3. a) 50% of the money collected by this tax shall fund the Mideast Victim Compensation Act.

b) 45% of the money collected by this tax shall be used for the establishment of the Mideast Cannabis Prevention Center, which shall be supervised by the Mideast Department of Health. The main task of the Mideast Cannabis Prevention Center is to inform the public on the harmful effects of marijuana and organize regular marijuana prevention activities in public schools.

c) 5% of the money collected by this tax shall fund the creation of community murals as specified in Section 3 in the Keep our Region Clean and Free from Vandalism Act.
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »
Ignore

Just to get it right, do you approve of the 1% tax increase that the Mideast Victim Compensation Act established or not (since I assume you're not in favor of higher taxes I assume "no")? Because in the old Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act, that 1% tax increase was repealed.

If anything, I could propose an amendment to this New Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act that specifies that said tax increase remains repealed. That'd be no problem to me.

Point 1 and 2 you listed are not negiotiable, though. Tongue

I'm opposed to an increase on the gun tax.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »
Ignore

I propose this amendment to make doubly sure we aren't reinstating the gun tax.

Meanwhile, we really need a budget for any of this to make sense.

1. The Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act is hereby repealed. The 1% gun tax repealed in the Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act will remain repealed.

That's an amendment that I support. If necessary, I accept it as friendly.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 05:41:23 am »
Ignore

In other words, it would be good to have a vote on TJ's amendment. Wink

The amendment clarifies the gun tax issue, and I fully support that.
Assemblyman JCL
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 07:27:09 pm »
Ignore

In other words, it would be good to have a vote on TJ's amendment. Wink

The amendment clarifies the gun tax issue, and I fully support that.

If we are raising taxes on this, is there somewhere we could cut spending or another tax cut in the budget? Also can there be a discinction to where this is not applied to other hemp based purchases?

Congressional Races
Jackie Walorski (R/IN-2)
Marlin Stutzman (R/IN-3)
Todd Rokita (R/IN-4)
Chard Reid (Lib/IN-5)
Luke Messer (R/IN-6)
Carlos May (R/IN-7)
Larry Bucshon (R/IN-8)
Todd Young (R/IN-9)
Tom Massie (R/KY-4)
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 01:51:44 am »
Ignore

Did you ever figure out what the baseline is for the previous tax that's being increased by a percentage? If not, I'd suggest just setting a new tax rate

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 10:53:14 am »
Ignore

Shua's right, we need to actually set a marijuana tax before we can change it. I'd say we try a 25% tax on marijuana sales. I have no idea if that's low or high, so feel free to weigh in Tongue

2. There shall be a 20% tax increase on all All marijuana substances in the Mideast shall be subject to a 25% tax levied on the price of the sale.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 11:02:15 am »
Ignore

You know, a marijuana tax can't be high enough for me ... Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 04:32:28 am »
Ignore

Speaker, I fully support TJ's latest amendment. We could have a vote on it ... Wink
Inks.LWC
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »
Ignore

Voting is now open on the following amendment.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote:

2. There shall be a 20% tax increase on all All marijuana substances in the Mideast shall be subject to a 25% tax levied on the price of the sale.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 04:14:49 am »
Ignore

Aye!
Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile