Freedom lovers beware
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:57:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Freedom lovers beware
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Freedom lovers beware  (Read 1832 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:39 AM »

The Mideast Assembly has proposed the following.
They are eager to tax you and waste your hard earned money on deceitful propaganda courtesy of the far right. If you are a citizen of the Mideast, stand up and voice your opinion! We can defeat this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:10:34 AM »

At least they're not trying to ban it this time. Baby steps!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:14:46 AM »

At least they're not trying to ban it this time. Baby steps!

Haha yeah. I am going to admit I love how they pursue ideological policies, try other more pragmatic restrictions to work around political reality, etc. It is good for the game to have dedicated agendas and policy goals, no matter whetger or not I agree with the policies. I wish people were more interested in such things nationally.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:23:12 AM »

Thinking about running for office in the Mideast, Napoleon?  Hahahaha.

But yeah.  I saw this legislation earlier.  I, for one, am personally against such a thing and would fight any kind of similar proposal if one comes to the Northeast.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:25:26 AM »

This thread is an honest surprise to me.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 02:27:19 AM »

This thread is an honest surprise to me.

Why is that?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »

It's complicated and I really couldn't say so without starting a personal argument.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:59:38 AM »

I am a little late to this party but I guess this means marijuana is legal in this forum government.... hardly anything "freedom lovers" love more then that
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:11:35 AM »

I am a little late to this party but I guess this means marijuana is legal in this forum government.... hardly anything "freedom lovers" love more then that

Everything's legal here.  You don't even have to pay taxes in one of our regions.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:18:32 AM »

Everything's legal here.  You don't even have to pay taxes in one of our regions.

Which one?... I'm going to move
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:20:19 AM »

You are not allowed to move. That would be against the law.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 03:22:40 AM »

The Northeast, but that's only because we don't have a tax system in place yet.

Oh yeah, and what Teddy mentioned.  That's one of the few things you aren't allowed to do here without waiting.  I forget how long you have to wait, though.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 03:25:44 AM »

Was kidding around... I love the Imperial South!

And interesting how you can smoke pot, shoot heroin, bang sluts, not pay taxes- but you can not move....
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 03:29:59 AM »

Was kidding around... I love the Imperial South!

And interesting how you can smoke pot, shoot heroin, bang sluts, not pay taxes- but you can not move....

That's the beauty of this place.  You'll enjoy our freedoms, and you shall never leave the place that offers them. Cheesy
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:12 AM »

Bad publicity is always better than no publicity at all. It is also great to see that Mideast affairs are debated all across Atlasia. Therefore, thank you for the mention! Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

See, Napoleon. You have perfectly the right to disagree with any policy proposal, but your constantly demonizing some perfectly reasonable ones with such silly hyperboles, is the reason why a lot of people find you so annoying.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »

The Northeast, but that's only because we don't have a tax system in place yet.

Oh yeah, and what Teddy mentioned.  That's one of the few things you aren't allowed to do here without waiting.  I forget how long you have to wait, though.
I seem to remember something about one free move during the first few months after registration.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »

See, Napoleon. You have perfectly the right to disagree with any policy proposal, but your constantly demonizing some perfectly reasonable ones with such silly hyperboles, is the reason why a lot of people find you so annoying.

I'm just saying, the right is trying to cut doctor's pay by 3% but there's enough money for a cannabis prevention center? I don't get it.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »

I'm just saying, the right is trying to cut doctor's pay by 3% but there's enough money for a cannabis prevention center? I don't get it.

Marokai and Duke, who have introduced the Health Spending Adjustment Act you are referring to, are "the right"? I learn something new every day. Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »

The Mideast hates freedom, hence why I left.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »

I don't necessarily agree with this either (I'd have to know what the current taxes are and how disincentivizing this would be), but I don't think one can reasonably say it's in any way a threat to freedom.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »

You guys might want to check the language of that bill.  If you repeal the The Mideast Marijuana Taxation Act in item one, then item two is muddled.  What is the 20% tax increase based on if you have no baseline?  I know in fantasyland we don't have to worry about the repercussions of our actions, but in the real world this would actually open up the Mideast region to lawsuits by consumers who might argue that the bill only specifies that marijuana should be taxed at 20% its value, rather than 20% onto the original tax.

Food for thought Smiley
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »

No one knows what our taxes actually are on anything because we haven't passed a budget (it's been in the works for pretty much ever...). So yeah, in real life we would be open to a whole lot of lawsuits about a whole lot of things.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2011, 12:45:05 PM by Simfan34 »

I believed that many wanted to legalize marijuana in order to tax it and control it within the legal structure. I assumed that this legislative proposal was in line with such thinking. We already have state-supported anti-smoking and anti-drunkenness initiatives, so I don't see the problem with a Cannabis Prevention Center. I assume you would also oppose further taxation upon alcohol or cigarettes?

This proposal sounds sensible to me. I support keeping cannabis legal, as I do alcohol and tobacco products- I myself am a pipe smoker.  But governments are empowered to tax these products, and governments have the right to inform their people of the harms of such things.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 01:10:12 PM »

I believed that many wanted to legalize marijuana in order to tax it and control it within the legal structure. I assumed that this legislative proposal was in line with such thinking. We already have state-supported anti-smoking and anti-drunkenness initiatives, so I don't see the problem with a Cannabis Prevention Center. I assume you would also oppose further taxation upon alcohol or cigarettes?

This proposal sounds sensible to me. I support keeping cannabis legal, as I do alcohol and tobacco products- I myself am a pipe smoker.  But governments are empowered to tax these products, and governments have the right to inform their people of the harms of such things.

I don't support sin taxes of any kind.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies