opebo beware...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  opebo beware...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: opebo beware...  (Read 3002 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2011/12/american-jail-defaming-thai-king.html
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »

So, an American citizen posts something bad about the Thai king on the Internet from his home in in the U.S. - An act which happens to be completely legal in America. And then he gets arrested for it in Thailand.

In my book that's kidnapping, at best.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »

opebo loves the king and authoritarianism (and preteen rape) so he has no reasons to be worried and probably agrees with the jail time/state kidnapping.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »

opebo's a loyal friend of His Majesty. Your concerns are noble, but unnecessary.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »

I like that he lives in "THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH" but is scared to post in this thread because of the possibly very real consequences he could face for doing so.  That Bhumibol Adulyadej is a giant douche for having and enforcing such anti-freedom laws.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »

I like that he lives in "THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH" but is scared to post in this thread because of the possibly very real consequences he could face for doing so.  That Bhumibol Adulyadej is a giant douche for having and enforcing such anti-freedom laws.

Actually the Thai king isn't the one who has and enforces this law, as he regularly pardons those convicted of it.  Also, unless opebo has become a dual-citizen, I doubt he has much o worry about from this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »

Actually the Thai king isn't the one who has and enforces this law, as he regularly pardons those convicted of it.
That's not how I'm reading this
Of course that is authoritarianism opebo can get behind, but you?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »

Of course that is authoritarianism opebo can get behind, but you?

Well, Al moderated his posts on the internationnal elections board where he was hoping a coup to reverse the new elected government.
Link
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04:16 PM »

So, an American citizen posts something bad about the Thai king on the Internet from his home in in the U.S. - An act which happens to be completely legal in America. And then he gets arrested for it in Thailand.

In my book that's kidnapping, at best.

Not surprising.  That sort of thing is pretty common in the West.  Especially in Germanic countries...

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

There's a brilliant epilogue to Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities where he discusses the editions of his book around the world.  The Thai lese majeste laws prohibit bad-mouthing any king, anywhere, any time.  Anderson said that the entire second third of the book ended up getting rewritten in the Thai edition and disowned the Thai "royalist" edition of Imagined Communities.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »

There's a brilliant epilogue to Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities where he discusses the editions of his book around the world.  The Thai lese majeste laws prohibit bad-mouthing any king, anywhere, any time. 

Did I get it right? So for me saying that, let say, Charles X was a waste of air is making me guilty of lese majeste under Thai laws?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »

There's a brilliant epilogue to Benedict Anderson's Imagined Communities where he discusses the editions of his book around the world.  The Thai lese majeste laws prohibit bad-mouthing any king, anywhere, any time. 

Did I get it right? So for me saying that, let say, Charles X was a waste of air is making me guilty of lese majeste under Thai laws?

Technically, yes, but you'd probably only be prosecuted if you were clearly using a foreign king as an analogy for a Thai king.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 12:42:53 AM »

somebody catch opebo with his pants down?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 08:56:11 AM »

Odd that you would pick that year.....since then there has been 1500% increase in the number of Lèse-Majesté cases sense.  cite
Yeah, it says he "seems to dislikes the law"...man, if only he was in some sort of position to do something to change it.
Foucaulf
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »

Thailand's Lèse-Majesté laws are quite fascinating. Apparently the checking is still done manually - which even makes China's Firewall look state of the art. It's also a sign of the conflict between the conservative establishment and the hinterland peasantry coming to eruption point, but that's probably obvious.

Take Indonesia and the Philippines into account, and it's ironic how the most democratic Southeast Asia regimes are also the most divided.

Yeah, it says he "seems to dislikes the law"...man, if only he was in some sort of position to do something to change it.

He really isn't at this point, if you get what I mean.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Well, we have sort of lese-majeste thing too. Insulting (or even "attempting" to insult) the President is a criminal offense and there were few convictions, although none resulted in doing a prison term.

Yes, it's retarded.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »

Indeed.  The place is quite a bit sh**ttier than we had previously assumed.  They've managed to take an already F-ed up law, and make it several times worse.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 06:57:36 PM »

Chaps, I'm a royalist and fully support Lèse-Majesté laws, while opposing democracy.  So the only thing I need 'beware' is that the next coup d'etat may fail to come.  Well, that and the demise of the respected himself.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »

Something of a prisoner of the throne by this time in his life, I take it?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »

Off topic, but it's nice to see something from The Singing Detective in a signature that's not mine. You seen it (or some of it) recently, or do you just like the quote?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 08:06:55 PM »

Off topic, but it's nice to see something from The Singing Detective in a signature that's not mine. You seen it (or some of it) recently, or do you just like the quote?

I only saw the Robert Downey Jr. movie.  And I like the quote a lot.  The idea of impotent rage touches me greatly and seems to really sum up the human condition more than any other emotion.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »

I only saw the Robert Downey Jr. movie.

Ah, well, that's unfortunate. The proper thing is far superior.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies