IA PrimR: Public Policy Polling: Ron Paul almost 1st
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:47:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  IA PrimR: Public Policy Polling: Ron Paul almost 1st
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: IA PrimR: Public Policy Polling: Ron Paul almost 1st  (Read 4690 times)
xavier110
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 05:09:27 PM »

Even if Paul wins Iowa, Gingrich could still easily take South Carolina and Florida.

Yeah, this could actually be devastating for Romney. An ascendant Paul could capture NH, with Gingrich taking SC and FL, making it a very strange Paul vs. Gingrich race.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »

How was the polling in Iowa in '08? I vaguely remember being surprised that Huckabee won, but maybe I just hadn't been paying all that much attention.
RBH

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

How was the polling in Iowa in '08? I vaguely remember being surprised that Huckabee won, but maybe I just hadn't been paying all that much attention.

of the 20 polls released from Iowa from the period of Dec 13 to Caucus Day in 2008, Huckabee led in 15 polls and Romney led in 5 polls.

The last Selzer poll nailed everybody's percentage within 2% except for Thompson.

Ron Paul v. Mitt Romney is our equivalent to when the Republican primary came down to Bob Dole and Pat Buchanan in 1996.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2008R/polls.php?fips=19
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »

Prepare for a blizzard of Paultards if he winds. A Paulzard, if you will.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 05:37:51 PM »

Lol. This Republican primary circus is too funny.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

If Paul wins in IA/NH, SC and FL voters have to take him seriously.  He's a poor fit for FL (he does worst among seniors) but he could be competitive in SC with the IA/NH bumps.  If he places in those two states, I think it's a two-person horserace, him and the SC/FL winner (likely to be the same person - guessing Romney, expecting a Gingrich fade due to the ethics/infidelity/lobbyist attacks).

That Paul is in the ballgame in IA is pretty telling, as his libertarian politics are not generally a great fit for the state.  (He's a better fit for coastal Republicans and the mountain west generally.)  He's built a great ground game in IA, and it looks like he's prepping for the long haul in other states (he's opening offices all over the place).

Also, a couple of fine print notes:

1.  Paul is +8 among strong commits.
2.  Paul wins among voters who are most concerned about foreign policy and national security.
3.  Paul's weakest scores are on electability.  That may change as his polling puts him in the horserace.  Could create significant momentum.

Yeah, this scenario might rile up the Paultards, but they might be right.
M

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »

If Paul wins in IA/NH, SC and FL voters have to take him seriously.  He's a poor fit for FL (he does worst among seniors) but he could be competitive in SC with the IA/NH bumps.  If he places in those two states, I think it's a two-person horserace, him and the SC/FL winner (likely to be the same person - guessing Romney, expecting a Gingrich fade due to the ethics/infidelity/lobbyist attacks).

That Paul is in the ballgame in IA is pretty telling, as his libertarian politics are not generally a great fit for the state.  (He's a better fit for coastal Republicans and the mountain west generally.)  He's built a great ground game in IA, and it looks like he's prepping for the long haul in other states (he's opening offices all over the place).

2.  Paul wins among voters who are most concerned about foreign policy and national security.
3.  Paul's weakest scores are on electability.  That may change as his polling puts him in the horserace.  Could create significant momentum.

Where in SC do you see Paul catching on? The socially-conservative, evangelical upcountry? OR the national-security industry dominated, hawkish lowcountry?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »

Paul has skipped out on SC and FL. If he wins Iowa, he must win New Hampshire or he's probably done, unless he can go back to the bottom of the back and come back up to win Nevada. He won't/can't gain traction in SC and FL with all the seniors and social conservatives and he has left both states untouched.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »

Doesn't SC have a strong military presence? That would benefit Paul.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 06:16:31 PM »

Next year will be fun.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »

Paul has no shot at SC, even if he wins IA/NH. Gingrich would stay in especially if he still managed respectable numbers in IA/NH and would win SC and maybe FL. It would be a strange, strange race. Romney would just stick it and hope the two burn out.
RBH

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »

Pat Buchanan got 29% in South Carolina and 23% in Iowa.

So, are we supposed to be stunned that Paul could top 20% in Iowa after campaigning there for 4 years?

But the field is Perry/Gingrich/Romney/Paul after IA and NH, and probably Gingrich/Romney/Paul in FL.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »

I think Paul's anti-Newt ads may be working. But Perry's "God Hates Fags" ads aren't
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »

That'd be f-cking amazing if Paul won Iowa.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

Yes, I'm sure all the people in the military are thrilled with the notion of losing their jobs.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 07:18:04 PM »

Hilarious.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »

Yes, I'm sure all the people in the military are thrilled with the notion of losing their jobs.

Paul is apparently strong among service members for reasons that I don't really understand.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »

Um...Paul has received more donations from those in the military than any other GOP candidate.  That was in '08, anyways.

Paul is apparently strong among service members for reasons that I don't really understand.

Probably because the military has a lower proportion of armchair chickenhawks than the general populace.
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »

# of active duty military in SC <<< # of people in SC whose checks are signed by the Pentagon
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »

Where in SC do you see Paul catching on? The socially-conservative, evangelical upcountry? OR the national-security industry dominated, hawkish lowcountry?

Of those two, more the evangelicals.  They have no non-laughable candidate, and while Paul is quirky he's not a total douchebag like the other options.  I'm not saying he dominates in either place, but I think he's hitting a sweet spot that other candidates can't quite find.

If you read what I said, the subtext is that SC and FL are not good for him.  I just think that SC is softer than FL, where I would consider the most mainstream candidate to be the prohibitive favorite.  Remember, the right-wingers are willing to go unconventional, and with no untarnished option available among the usual suspects, Paul could be the "well, I haven't heard really nasty sh** about him" candidate.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »

I've heard this often said, but I don't know what evidence people have for it (besides the fact that, surprise, people who get involved in the American political process, who are a part of a group which can basically only get involved in the American political process if they use the Internet a lot, tend to donate money to the candidate who is preferred by many people who use the Internet a lot).
RBH

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:58 PM »

I think Paul's anti-Newt ads may be working. But Perry's "God Hates Fags" ads aren't

Rick Perry's problem isn't his message, it's his total lack of credibility.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »

I'm sure all the people in the military prefer being stationed in a base wasting taxpayer dollars far from home on the presumption that Putin's gonna start up the T-74s when the Americans leave, or being shot at by people they don't know in a country they have no stake in and with no end in sight.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »

Some of Paul's best areas in 2008 were in the upcountry.  He did okay in the Charleston tri-county area, but tanked elsewhere in the lowcountry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies