IA PrimR: Public Policy Polling: Ron Paul almost 1st (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:38:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  IA PrimR: Public Policy Polling: Ron Paul almost 1st (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA PrimR: Public Policy Polling: Ron Paul almost 1st  (Read 4784 times)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« on: December 13, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

If Paul wins in IA/NH, SC and FL voters have to take him seriously.  He's a poor fit for FL (he does worst among seniors) but he could be competitive in SC with the IA/NH bumps.  If he places in those two states, I think it's a two-person horserace, him and the SC/FL winner (likely to be the same person - guessing Romney, expecting a Gingrich fade due to the ethics/infidelity/lobbyist attacks).

That Paul is in the ballgame in IA is pretty telling, as his libertarian politics are not generally a great fit for the state.  (He's a better fit for coastal Republicans and the mountain west generally.)  He's built a great ground game in IA, and it looks like he's prepping for the long haul in other states (he's opening offices all over the place).

Also, a couple of fine print notes:

1.  Paul is +8 among strong commits.
2.  Paul wins among voters who are most concerned about foreign policy and national security.
3.  Paul's weakest scores are on electability.  That may change as his polling puts him in the horserace.  Could create significant momentum.

Yeah, this scenario might rile up the Paultards, but they might be right.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »

If Paul wins in IA/NH, SC and FL voters have to take him seriously.  He's a poor fit for FL (he does worst among seniors) but he could be competitive in SC with the IA/NH bumps.  If he places in those two states, I think it's a two-person horserace, him and the SC/FL winner (likely to be the same person - guessing Romney, expecting a Gingrich fade due to the ethics/infidelity/lobbyist attacks).

That Paul is in the ballgame in IA is pretty telling, as his libertarian politics are not generally a great fit for the state.  (He's a better fit for coastal Republicans and the mountain west generally.)  He's built a great ground game in IA, and it looks like he's prepping for the long haul in other states (he's opening offices all over the place).

Also, a couple of fine print notes:

1.  Paul is +8 among strong commits.
2.  Paul wins among voters who are most concerned about foreign policy and national security.
3.  Paul's weakest scores are on electability.  That may change as his polling puts him in the horserace.  Could create significant momentum.

Yeah, this scenario might rile up the Paultards, but they might be right.

Where in SC do you see Paul catching on? The socially-conservative, evangelical upcountry? OR the national-security industry dominated, hawkish lowcountry?

Of those two, more the evangelicals.  They have no non-laughable candidate, and while Paul is quirky he's not a total douchebag like the other options.  I'm not saying he dominates in either place, but I think he's hitting a sweet spot that other candidates can't quite find.

If you read what I said, the subtext is that SC and FL are not good for him.  I just think that SC is softer than FL, where I would consider the most mainstream candidate to be the prohibitive favorite.  Remember, the right-wingers are willing to go unconventional, and with no untarnished option available among the usual suspects, Paul could be the "well, I haven't heard really nasty sh** about him" candidate.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:32:16 PM »

Paul leads among social issue voters? Who knew?

Standard caveat for MoE among small sub-samples duly noted.

Not too surprising if you actually think about it.  A smaller, less powerful federal government would be significantly less likely and less able to overrule state and local governments when they implement policies favored by social conservatives.

This is why I think people who dismiss Paul are missing the point.  Socons could live with the states rights message that would allow banning abortion, etc. at the state level.  They would prefer salvation, but in lieu of that, they're the sort that could let all the sodomites burn in their California / east coast hells.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies