US with Canadian parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:33:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US with Canadian parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: US with Canadian parties  (Read 27320 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2012, 02:47:01 AM »

Oklahoma...

"Panhandle" seems to be a re-occurring name in riding names Tongue ...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2012, 03:03:27 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2012, 03:05:03 AM by Nathan »

MISSISSIPPI FINAL

I'm convinced that this is best from a CoI standpoint, at least with regards to the river and the Gulf Coast/Hattiesburg. The Jackson MSA is also kept together.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »

Oregon

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »

Have we more or less accepted my Alabama map? If so, I'd like to get a few other people's input on our different Mississippi maps before we decide which one to use. Some point soon I can do Colorado and Arizona.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2012, 10:28:03 PM »

I think both your Alabama and Mississippi maps are acceptable from a communities of interest perspective.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »

Have we more or less accepted my Alabama map? If so, I'd like to get a few other people's input on our different Mississippi maps before we decide which one to use. Some point soon I can do Colorado and Arizona.

I'd like to  hear what Xahar thinks, but I dont mind going with your map.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #156 on: January 08, 2012, 12:51:06 AM »

I'd like to  hear what Xahar thinks, but I dont mind going with your map.

Okay, let's wait on Xahar for a while and if we don't hear from him by tomorrow what do you say we just go from there?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:33 AM »

Alabama looks fine, and Nathan's Mississippi map looks good; that the Delta is kept together is important, I think.

I must say, there are a lot of em dashes in all these names. It's like these are all Quebec ridings.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2012, 05:53:01 AM »

No offence, but this sticking to county lines as though they were religions, makes me wonder if you guys understand the Canadian redistricting process.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2012, 06:14:03 AM »

To be honest, I still prefer my second map, the one that fixed the horror that was the Starkville-to-Brookhaven riding but kept De Soto split along I55.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »

No offence, but this sticking to county lines as though they were religions, makes me wonder if you guys understand the Canadian redistricting process.

Good point, but I think I'm treating US counties like Canadian municipalities. Municipalities are rarely divided up unless they have to. I'm doing this because of the size of the of the ridings are bigger. 
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »

Aye, Municipalities are stuck too.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »

Ridings of the US Parliament

States completed (ridings): 25 (88)

Alaska (2)
Arkansas (4)
Connecticut (6)
Delaware (2)
DC (1)
Hawaii (2)
Idaho (2)
Iowa (6)
Kansas (5)
Maine (2)
Massachusetts (11)
Missouri (9)
Montana (2)
Nebraska (3)
Nevada (3)
New Hampshire (2)
New Mexico (3)
North Dakota (2)
Oklahoma (6)
Rhode Island (2)
South Dakota (2)
Utah (3)
Vermont (2)
West Virginia (4)
Wyoming (2)

Work in Progress (ridings): 1 (34)
New York (34)

Pending (ridings): 3 (17)
Mississippi (5)
Oregon (5)
Alabama (7)

Remaining States (ridings): 22 (338)
South Carolina (6)
Alabama (7)
Colorado (7)
Kentucky (7)
Louisiana (8)
Maryland (8)
Minnesota (8)
Arizona (9)
Tennessee (9)
Washington (9)
Wisconsin (9)
Indiana (10)
Virginia (11)
Georgia (13)
North Carolina (13)
New Jersey (14)
Michigan (18)
Ohio (21)
Illinois (22)
Pennsylvania (23)
Florida (26)
Texas (35)
California (52)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 06:25:35 AM by Nathan »

ARIZONA MAP ONE, REJECTED BY BOUNDARY COMMISSION

State

Maricopa/Pinal/Pima

I wasn't terribly concerned with county lines because Arizona has two counties that are larger than a riding anyway. Still, other than the three big central counties, the only split is Mohave, which is split along the Colorado River.

Riding names and descriptions:

The blue riding, Eastern Mountains--Canyonlands, is traditionally semisolidly Tory but in the recent past has become marginal, perhaps (but maybe not) going NDP in 2011.
The green riding, Western Desert, is hardcore Tory and would have previously been hardcore Reform and hardcore American Alliance.
The purple riding, Phoenix North, is solidly Tory at present.
The red riding, Mesa--Scottsdale, is hardcore Tory and would have previously been hardcore Reform and hardcore American Alliance.
The yellow riding, Glendale--Phoenix West, is solidly NDP at present, once solidly Liberal.
The teal riding, Tempe--Phoenix East, is solidly NDP at present, once solidly liberal.
The black riding, Chandler--Gilbert--East Pinal, is solidly Tory at present.
The red-orange riding, Southern Desert, traditionally leans Liberal but in the recent past has become Grit-Tory marginal, with NDP-supporting minorities tactically voting Liberal (though this may flip in the near future).  I tend to think it would go very narrowly Grit in 2011, the only riding in Arizona to remain so.
The spring green riding, Tucson, is traditionally Liberal but flipped NDP in either 2008 or 2011.

The split between Western Desert and Southern Desert in Maricopa is supposed to follow Interstate 8 but I couldn't show that on DRA. The split of Pinal goes through the San Tan Valley and then south across the desert. The split of Pima hugs the outskirts of the built-up area and includes the areas north and east of Tucson in the urban riding.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »

I have some pretty serious misgivings about several of those ridings, especially the Phoenix area- ridings, one of which appears to cross a mountain range.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:31 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 06:25:10 AM by Nathan »

ARIZONA MAP REJECTED BY BOUNDARY COMMISSION

I wasn't even thinking of mountain ranges outside the northern and eastern parts of the state, sorry! Can't believe I missed that.

If you have any ideas, let me know. The only one I'm really attached to is Tucson, which is the area of Arizona that I'm actually somewhat familiar with.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2012, 06:43:13 AM »

I might do the same for the UK Cheesy
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2012, 07:19:23 AM »

http://rr-bce-static.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/A0-North-East-Region-Initial-Proposals.pdf?9d7bd4 et al

I don't see anything in the UK that would be rejected in Canada.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 07:43:53 AM by Nathan »

ARIZONA, SECOND ATTEMPT

With this one I started in Maricopa and Pima and worked my way out, because the other way around obviously failed.

State view:

Maricopa/Pinal/Pima view:

This time there are five heavily Tory ridings.

Phoenix North
Glendale
Tempe South--Chandler
Tempe North--Mesa--Scottsdale
Western Desert

Two marginal.

Eastern Mountains
Southern Desert

Two Grit/Dipper.

Phoenix South
Tucson

Colorado (whose physical geography I'm more comfortable with) coming if we have no more or only minor problems with this, but first I need to rest, because I've been up all night with unrelated issues.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2012, 08:38:46 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 08:43:39 AM by Pacific Governor Jackson »

In all honesty, the old map wasn't necessarily that bad, it was just that the Glendale-West Phoenix was comprised of two separate regions that did not form a community of interest
(They still do that in the new map btw.)

If I may, could I humbly suggest this as an alternative?

Judging from a glance at the demographics of the districts in question, the partisan breakdown would be as follows-

Mogollon(light green) Tory (would probably swing to the NDP given a few more years )

Tuscon(cyan) Currently NDP, would have been Liberal prior to either 2011 or 2008

Sonora(dark red) Marginal Tory(Would ordinarily be a Tory-Grit swing district)

Colorado River(light blue) Tory

Phoenix-Glendale(green) Marginal Tory(Would ordinarily be solid Grit)

Phoenix-Lake Pleasant(purple) Tory

Phoenix-Tempe(blue) NDP (would ordinarily be Grit vs. NDP)

Mesa-Scottsdale(yellow) Tory

Chandler-Gilbert(red) Tory

Essentially not much of a major change, but it fixes the problem in the Phoenix metro.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »

That's good. It keeps most of what I was trying to do with the outer ridings, which are areas I'm much more familiar with than Maricopa, and it seems like a more logical division of Maricopa than what I ended up doing.

One thing, though: The main centers of the Mogollon culture were slightly to the south-east of most of your riding named after it, and the Mogollon Mountains are in New Mexico. Might I suggest Anasazi?

Colorado coming up tonight after I watch primary stuff.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2012, 10:29:17 PM by Nathan »

COLORADO

The two things that I am concerned people might find as bases for criticism here are the undersized Arapahoe and the fact that I put Colorado Springs in Eastern Plains and Pueblo in Pueblo--West of the Rockies. I did the former because of Arapahoe County's growth rate; in ten years it seems likely to be a more normal-sized riding. The latter is because I truly felt that the ski areas should be put in a riding with Boulder and Fort Collins and this in turn meant that the Grand Junction district had to include at least one populous county on the High Plains rather than in the mountains. I chose Pueblo because it is demographically somewhat similar to western Colorado, particularly south-western Colorado. It has a lot of Hispanics, very nearly if not outright a plurality by now. Colorado Springs does not and is demographically and politically much more 'of the plains' than Pueblo is. If I had not done this I would have had to put almost the entirety of Colorado outside the Rocky Mountain Front in one district, since Colorado's High Plains outside El Paso and Pueblo Counties only have about a hundred thousand people. I found this unacceptable so I made what I thought was the most reasonable split of the southern end of the urbanized area possible.

Denver and Boulder--Fort Collins--Aspen would now be solidly NDP, probably Grit prior to 2008 or 2011. Arapahoe and North Front were once relatively safe Tory excepting years like 1993 but are currently Tory-NDP marginal because demographics. Jefferson--Douglas is still Tory but getting closer and closer in recent elections and could definitely go NDP given a few years. Pueblo--West of the Rockies, pending whatever demographic changes a few more years of the Hispanicizing of the rural American West might bring, is almost entirely safe Tory except in extremely bad years, and Eastern Plains is safe Tory even then. Pueblo--West of the Rockies I can imagine being fairly Grit in the past; Eastern Plains strikes me as the sort of riding that would be either one of the few loyal PC seats in the nineties or one of the strongest Reform/American Alliance seats in the country.

2-2-3 between the left and the right, basically, similar to the actual Colorado but perhaps a bit more competitive in general.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »

One thing, though: The main centers of the Mogollon culture were slightly to the south-east of most of your riding named after it, and the Mogollon Mountains are in New Mexico. Might I suggest Anasazi?

Possibly, however that might cause exacerbate significant tensions between several of the native peoples in the riding, especially the Hopi and the Navajo.

I actually didn't name the riding after the Mogollon culture, but rather after this geographic feature http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_Rim which occupies much of the central part of the riding.

Also, I like your Colorado districts, but I would want to see if Xahar/Hatman have any objections to them before finalizing them.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2012, 01:16:02 AM by Nathan »

Possibly, however that might cause exacerbate significant tensions between several of the native peoples in the riding, especially the Hopi and the Navajo.

Ooooh, right, I forgot about the negative implications of the word 'Anasazi' to some native peoples. Mogollon is probably best, then, you're right. I was aware of the Mogollon Mountain Range but not the Mogollon Rim.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2012, 03:56:56 AM »

One thing Canada would never do is separate the Hopi and Navajo.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies