US with Canadian parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:37:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US with Canadian parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: US with Canadian parties  (Read 27318 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »

Use DRA for cities. Canada has a high variance in riding size, 25%, AND allows for special exceptions in the case of anything really. I interpret that, applied to the US, as counties in rural areas, and DRA in urban areas.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:24 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2011, 10:54:39 PM by Χahar »

Earl's two maps:

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »

North Dakota:

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2011, 02:10:36 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2011, 02:15:11 AM by Nathan »

MA (Right-click/View image to embiggen)

Parenthetical parties are how I think the ridings would be 'traditionally' perceived as leaning. Italics are self-explanatory.

I think the Liberals would have won every riding except for Brookline--Newton--Cambridge--Somerville (or equivalent) in 1993 and the PCs would have won Framingham--Lexington--Acton, Worcester--Attleboro, Lowell--Merrimack--Newburyport, Cape--Islands--Plymouth, Revere--Salem--Gloucester, Needham--Quincy, and possibly Springfield--Uxbridge (or equivalents) in 1984.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:46 AM »

Interesting. My uninformed perception of Massachusetts is that it would be more strongly Liberal, what with the association of Catholics with the Liberal Party. The Berkshires would be an especially interesting case; offhand I would expect them to be traditionally Liberal, but they might also be NDP.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2011, 02:42:55 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2011, 02:44:49 AM by Nathan »

In a 'normal' year the only Massachusetts ridings that I would expect the Tories to have a realistic chance of winning would be Framingham--Lexington--Acton and Cape--Islands--Plymouth. The ridings that I have as 'weak Grit' would probably more or less always go Liberal, just not by very spectacular margins (also keep in mind that Revere--Salem--Gloucester, Needham--Quincy, Bristol--Brockton, and the non-NDP parts of Boston and Berkshires--Riverlands--Twin Towns would, I think, traditionally be very Liberal, even more strongly than they are Democratic in real life). In a Liberal majority government they would probably win every riding except the NDP inner-suburbs one; in a Liberal minority government (think 2000/2003) the Tories would still probably only take Framingham--Lexington--Acton.

The Berkshires were represented in Congress for a long time by one of the last labor-friendly agrarian-center-left Republicans, Silvio Conte. I'm intimately familiar with the area and I think somebody like Tommy Douglas would have been very popular here (Hell, among people who know the name he's very popular now).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:46 AM »

Very cool. I would probably name the Cape district just "Cape Cod", or if you insist, "Cape Cod-The Islands".

Also, I'm thinking that the Tories probably wouldn't have won anything, because A) the GOP doesnt have any districts there and B), if we extrapolate the 2011 Canadian results into the US, it means the Tories probably wouldn't have enough support to go to places like MA.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »

Alaska,

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2011, 12:40:21 PM by Nathan »

Very cool. I would probably name the Cape district just "Cape Cod", or if you insist, "Cape Cod-The Islands".

Also, I'm thinking that the Tories probably wouldn't have won anything, because A) the GOP doesnt have any districts there and B), if we extrapolate the 2011 Canadian results into the US, it means the Tories probably wouldn't have enough support to go to places like MA.

Keep in mind that the Framingham--Lexington--Acton riding turned out as essentially some of the most GOP parts of the state (along with a few Democratic suburbs that really aren't enough to countervail that) kind of smashed together, and that the districts as they currently exist do, at least somewhat, favor Democrats more than a 'fair' map necessarily would. Up until 2011 I indeed can't imagine the Tories winning outside Framingham--Lexington--Acton and possibly Cape--Islands--Plymouth (I can't think of many people in Plymouth County who would appreciate being in a riding just named 'Cape Cod' or 'Cape--Islands') except in years like 1984; but in 2011 remember that we're dealing with vote-splitting as a very real problem for the center-left and left in a lot of areas similar to exurban Boston.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if Revere--Salem--Gloucester and Needham--Quincy might actually go narrowly NDP.

It's also possible, depending on how we are doing some of this cultural and political transpositioning, that Massachusetts could be a little like Newfoundland and stay Liberal even after the collapse.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »

Howabout Plymouth-Cape Cod and the Islands?

I love this, we're each doing states like individual boundary commissions Smiley

Here is South Dakota by the way,

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »

Worth pointing out that the Catholic = Liberal thing is nowhere near as absolute as it used to be.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »

Worth pointing out that the Catholic = Liberal thing is nowhere near as absolute as it used to be.

And if you're talking about Nfld, remember there the Catholics traditionally vote Tory and Prods vote Liberal there. But, MA would be more like Nova Scotia, I think, as if we're treating Atlantic Canada = New England, then Boston = Halifax.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »

Plymouth--Cape Cod and the Islands works very well, thank you, actually. I like it.

Come to think of it, I think Lowell--Merrimack--Newburyport might be somewhat more Liberal-inclined, and Worcester--Attleboro somewhat less so, than I initially imagined. There are a lot of parts of the Merrimack Valley that go GOP but do so more because of perceived liberal/urban elitism (you know how it is...) on the part of the state/national party than because of inherent conservatism. There are a lot of old industrial towns in that area and it's pretty Catholic, and increasingly Hispanic from what I've heard.

Worcester County, on the other hand, is increasingly yuppie hell, except for the northwestern and west-central parts.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »

But it's still pretty important, and if we're looking at the pre-06 era, it's even more important.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »

What would be the EQ for New York state? And how many people live east of NYC? Could you fit a full district in there? If someone can work that out for me, I could begin on NYC myself.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:16 PM »

Here's Delaware. Used DRA for it Smiley

Wilmington was 71% Obama.  Could go NDP or Liberal, but I don't know much about the area.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »

I can do places like NY or Texas
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

Here's Montana,

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »

Here's Missouri :

I've tried to abide by Canada's rule : compact districts respecting county/city borders as much as possible. But the 25% requirement is insanely lax : I tried to make variation not exceed 10%.

Don't know how these districts would vote with Canadian parties, but here are the results for the 2008 election :
- District 1 : M 63.1 / O 35.5
- District 2 : M 61.3 / O 37.1
- District 3 : O 62.4 / M 36.5
- District 4 : M 62.1 / O 36.2
- District 5 : M 52.1 / O 46.4
- District 6 : O 80.3 / M 18.8
- Disctrict 7 : O 51.2 / M 47.9
- District 8 : M 56 / O 42.7
- District 9 : M 53.1 / O 45.2

BTW Xahar, which formula did you use to apportion seats ? Initially I thought you were just keeping the same numbers and adding seats based on the two "clauses", but then I noticed California and Florida have less seats than IRL...

I divided each state's population by 435 to get an ideal constituency size, and then I divided each population by that ideal constituency size and rounded down to get the baseline number of seats. After that, I added seats based on the various clauses.

So for example is the raw number was 52.9 you rounded down to 52 ? Is it how they do in Canada ?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »

What would be the EQ for New York state? And how many people live east of NYC? Could you fit a full district in there? If someone can work that out for me, I could begin on NYC myself.

Nassau County and Suffolk County together fill almost exactly five ridings.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »

Antonio, you're supposed to name the districts. That's part of the whole fun!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »

Here's Delaware. Used DRA for it Smiley

Wilmington was 71% Obama.  Could go NDP or Liberal, but I don't know much about the area.

Probably a bastion for the Grits up until 2006, that riding has many very Catholic and upper-middle class suburbs. It would be similar to Toronto Centre in its voting patterns, except with less strength for the Greens and maybe a larger swing towards the Tories that makes it a three way race in 2011.

Kent-Sussex-Middletown is tough, it would probably be a perennial marginal riding for the Tories with a strong Grit presence.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »

Looks like I don't have this "Canadian" mindset. Wink The purple one would obviously be "Kansas city" and the teal one "St. Louis". The big ones can simply be "Northwest", "Northeast", "Centre-west", "Centre-east", "Southwest" and "Southeast". I know, I'm not very original. Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »

Canadian names need to contain at least 70 names of random villages connected by emdashes (at least in Quebec).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »

Looks like I don't have this "Canadian" mindset. Wink The purple one would obviously be "Kansas city" ...

Not so obvious, as I would call it Jackson (it's just the county, after all)

The other names are no good Tongue (save StL)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies