US with Canadian parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  US with Canadian parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US with Canadian parties  (Read 27494 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »

Georgia:

Consider this a first draft that someone else can build off- I might improve it later if I have free time. I'll also name the districts if I improve it.

The only county split was Fulton which is essential for population reasons; the two halves have almost nothing in common anyways. The split is the boundary between Sandy Springs and Atlanta.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »

Georgia, I should point out, is Bacon King's map, not mine; I just named the ridings.

In that case, I'll defer to his judgment, since he's actually, you know, from Georgia. But I still think Houston County belongs with Macon.

I did mention earlier that my Georgia map should just be considered a first draft Tongue

The question of what to do with Houston County was one of the big questions I had. It's a suburb of Macon, so it definitely has major economic connections with the city, but demographically and politically Houston and Bibb Counties are polar opposites that otherwise have more in common with other areas around them.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:19:09 PM »

Here's a noticeably improved Georgia map.

Douglas County goes much better with Atlanta than with Cobb, for starters. I'm still not very happy with the five Southern districts, but they're better than they were. The Macon district and the Athens-Augusta district are both around 15% underpopulated; I don't know if that's significant enough to be an issue. I like the boundary between the (DRA colors) 1st and 8th districts; the Okefenokee forms a natural barrier there in the south.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »

Here's my effort at a Louisiana map:

Blue: New Orleans - West Bank. Plaquemines doesn't really go with New Orleans, but St. Bernard and west Jefferson definitely do. West Jefferson goes better with New Orleans than east Jefferson.

Yellow: Metarie - Gonzalez. There's no way at all that east Jefferson belongs in the same district as Cajun country. I think this I-10 district from Gonzalez to Metarie does a decent job of maintaining a community of interest without being too odd or messing up the rest of the map.

Green: Baton Rouge. Self explanatory; Baton Rouge district.

Red: North Shore. Pointe Coupee and West Feliciana (the two parishes in the far west of the district) should probably be in another district, but that would make the map look way too odd and I guess they fit well enough.

Purple: Gulf Coast (?). Cajun district!

Teal: Lake Charles - Opelousas - Lafayette. I think that name might be too big, but I like how the district manages to be so rectangular.

Gray: Alexandria - Monroe. I'm worried this district is a bit too big physically, but I guess it's not that bad

Grayish-blue: Shreveport. This could be expanded southward but I like the idea of a district that stays within the Shreveport area.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »

The split is the Mississippi River. West Jefferson is the west bank of the Mississippi (i.e., the southern half of the parish), while east Jefferson is northern half. I know it doesn't make too much sense, but that's what the locals call it. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »

I also want to do provincial assemblies. I would combine state houses+senate into one assembly and divide the state up into as many districts. For example, Wyoming (60 House+30 Senate=90 MLAs)

I began doing this with Georgia, but was quickly overwhelmed at the prospect of drawing 236 district with a ~40k population each Tongue manageable, certainly, but tough. Now, New Hampshire I'm sure will be essentially impossible.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »

They're pretty good. With Maryland, I think it'd be better if you had one district that was just Baltimore City and one that was just Baltimore County (I tried MD a while ago, and I don't remember it being too overpopulated- what threshold are you using?). I also think it'd be a bit better if you put the northern part of the yellow district near Annapolis into the teal district. But honestly, good work with MD, when I tried I was pretty perplexed when figuring out how to do all the necessary county splits.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »

bump
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies