Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:46:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 177353 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »

No sub-provincial regional groupings or individual ridings are legally mandated; it has been at the discretion of the commissions. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

No sub-provincial regional groupings or individual ridings are legally mandated; it has been at the discretion of the commissions. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Yup. But, if they base their decisions like they did the last time, then there is no reason for Northern Ontario to lose seats. Labrador is question though.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

The Quebec federal commission used 3 regional groupings. Montreal, North of St. Lawrence, South of St. Lawrence.

It would make sense to keep them, because it is sure than the St. Lawrence must not be crossed and than Montreal has to be left alone.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »

The Quebec federal commission used 3 regional groupings. Montreal, North of St. Lawrence, South of St. Lawrence.

It would make sense to keep them, because it is sure than the St. Lawrence must not be crossed and than Montreal has to be left alone.

Vaudreuil-Soulanges is too big now to be one riding, so I reckon a new riding will be created that will cross over into Montreal like V-S did in the 1980s.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2012, 06:54:05 PM »

That sounds like a good idea. If anyone has an idea about Montreal Island... please share. I can't see any riding that pops out.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »

Vaudreuil-Soulanges is too big now to be one riding, so I reckon a new riding will be created that will cross over into Montreal like V-S did in the 1980s.

Another option is possible. They can go in the Salaberry Island (currently in Beauharnois-Salaberry) direction and split V-S, to do a Vaudreuil riding and a Salaberry-Soulanges one.

If I remember well, the bridge between Soulanges area and Salaberry Island was enlarged to a 4 lanes one a few years ago.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »

Another option is possible. They can go in the Salaberry Island (currently in Beauharnois-Salaberry) direction and split V-S, to do a Vaudreuil riding and a Salaberry-Soulanges one.

If I remember well, the bridge between Soulanges area and Salaberry Island was enlarged to a 4 lanes one a few years ago.

True, but that requires crossing the St. Lawrence.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:10 PM »

At that place, it isn't a problem to cross it.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 08:14:53 AM »

At that place, it isn't a problem to cross it.

So there is more of a natural connection there then say having the riding take in portions of West Island Montreal? Having the new riding take some portions would solve some of the issues around trying to get another full riding on the island. With this option we can play with the border which would be easier to make ridings closer to quota. no?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2012, 08:52:42 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

I don't know for natural connections, but, the riding isn't so much overpopulated. Splitting it and going into Montreal would have an huge domino effect.

EDIT: It existed on the provincial level from 1989 to 2001, covering the southern half of Soulanges, Salaberry Island and two villages on the South Shore. Was split in 2001. Now, Soulanges covers most of Soulanges (except very urban places, which are in Vaudreuil) and Beauharnois, which cover Beauharnois, Maple Grove, Salaberry Island and three villages.

I would play around with the numbers, but any idea of what the quota is?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »

I don't know for natural connections, but, the riding isn't so much overpopulated. Splitting it and going into Montreal would have an huge domino effect.

Go big or go home right Tongue kidding... joking aside, i don't think the commission tends to favour big drastic changes do they? I think the UK commission is of that mentality

to bring up another point; I think Sask will again have the debate about creating urban and rural ridings vs the current mixed ridings; thats something the NDP have recently been pushing... for obvious reasons.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2012, 08:57:57 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

I edited the previous post, sorry.

EDIT: To add to my previous post,it would be logic, since it is how it went on Quebec side. A Vaudreuil-Soulanges to begin, then a Vaudreuil and a Salaberry-Soulanges and finally a Vaudreuil and a Soulanges. If growth continue in that area, it will eventually happen.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

Basic numbers.

Vaudreuil (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Hudson, Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Pointe-des-Cascades, St. Lazare, Rigaud, Perrot Island):105,826

Salaberry-Soulanges (Removed towns + Salaberry Island): 73,604. Expanding around Salabarry and into Beauhardois should do the job, no?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »

The quotient in QC is 101321 by the way. Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

I know. But I can't cut more into Vaudreuil without spliting a town or drawing something with no road link and the other riding isn't finished.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »

I know. But I can't cut more into Vaudreuil without spliting a town or drawing something with no road link and the other riding isn't finished.

Oh, I was just stating it, because you had asked.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »

I've been sitting on this for over a week. Haven't had the time to do a write up of it. But, in the mean time, here is the map of Toronto:

I was able to squeeze 5 undersized ridings into Scarborough while keeping the 3 oversized Etobicoke ridings. The Etobicoke ridings are nearly equal in size. As you can see, the major shake up is the Don Valley area, where I squeezed in the new riding Toronto is entitled to.

Politically, not much changes. The NDP would be competitive in Toronto Centre as it loses Rosedale. Bob Rae should run in Don Valley South if this map were to come into affect.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2012, 09:11:28 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2012, 09:20:36 AM by lilTommy »

Hatman, Great work! you should submit this to the commission!

Don Valley South looks pretty cohesive; Rosedale and Leaside are very socoi-economically similar and there are no big natural divides (i'm glad teh Don river was kept as a boundary) the only odd-man-out is Thorncliffe and Flemingdon park... but they were already in Don Valley West and Don Valley Centre would be even worse.

Trinity-Spadina & Toronto Centre (i prefer it to be renamed something like Toronto-Old York) both logically shrink south, making TC a NDP seat based on the polls from 2011. TC takes in huge areas of Uni-Bloor west and Yorkville (looks like all the way to Spadina?) which is much more Liberal(torkville not Uni) but the i still give the edge here to the NDP. plus this will be a high growth with all the development in the east bayfront. TS looks to start south of bloor now, whats the northern borders? Looks like Harbord? I’m thinking a new name as well, something like Trinity-Fort York

St.Pauls becomes interesting; it losses the davisville area east of Yonge BUT gains the more NDP friendly areas of the Annex; and loses some polls to Davenport too (which was under quota)The NDP performed best in the polls in the south around davenport rd. Carolyn Bennett will probably run here still making it hard for an NDP pick-up without a strong candidate (think Mihevic), BUT if Rae dosen't run in DVS... it would be tempting for her to bolt to a safer riding

Scarborough is still a battle ground; with Scarborough Bluffs-Woburn looking to be now a competitive three horse riding vs Guildwood which was more a Lib/Tory battle. SRR actually becomes a safer NDP riding with polls west of McCowan moving to Agincourt (they were tory heavy last time). SSW is still a fight since it adds tory/liberal and NDP polls from SC
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »

Glad you like the map. I dont know if the commission accepts proposals? If it does, then I will send all my maps Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

Glad you like the map. I dont know if the commission accepts proposals? If it does, then I will send all my maps Wink

Last time, they only held public hearings, but, we don't know.
Last year, for Quebec redistricting, they allowed to send documents and comments by internet after the proposed map was published.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2012, 07:28:19 PM »

Here's Brampton & Mississauga

Brampton gets 2 more ridings, Mississauga gets one. I've kept the same boundary between the 2 cities as the last redistribution (with Malton going with a Brampton riding and Brampton South being grouped with Mississauga). I did this because the numbers worked well like that. Malton isn't close to anything in Mississauga, so it made sense to keep it with a Brampton riding. It's closer to Bramalea than Gore, so I put it with Bramalea.

Only Mississauga South keeps its borders, as it experienced minimal growth. Cooksville leaves Mississauga East and Erindale leaves Mississauga-Erindale (now Mississauga--Erin Mills)

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »

I've finally done a write up for the Toronto ridings: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-riding-boundary-proposal-for-toronto.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »

Excellent. Smiley If Quebec could be next on your list, 'twud much appreciated.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »

Im not doing all of Quebec at once. Please be more specific. However, there is a long list of requests to get done first.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »

Im not doing all of Quebec at once. Please be more specific. However, there is a long list of requests to get done first.

Montreal. In good time though, whenever you're ready.

On a somewhat unrelated note, has anyone heard from Teddy recently?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies