Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:45:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 49
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 177568 times)
Linus Van Pelt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »

The "disposition of objections" in the report (link) seems to suggest that Benj's guess is exactly right; the MP's used community of interest between the two sides of the port as their reason for objecting, and then the commission took them quite literally in the interests of population equality.

It's not a totally silly concern; port authorities are federally managed and are often large landowners, which sometimes leads to controversial relations with municipal planners.
Krago
« Reply #901 on: April 27, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »

For those of you with nothing to do on a Saturday night, here is the Report of the Krago Commission for Ontario.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #902 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39:48 PM »

This is similar to a map you drew last year, isn't it?
Krago
« Reply #903 on: April 27, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »

Now with 121 ridings!

And Toronto gets the proper number of seats, 24 instead of 25.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #904 on: April 28, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »

Now with 121 ridings!

And Toronto gets the proper number of seats, 24 instead of 25.

In what ways would you say you've improved on the proposed map? I guess SW Ontario?
Krago
« Reply #905 on: April 28, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »

My plan takes away Toronto's 'extra' seat and gives it to Peel Region and SW Ontario.  I also try to equalize populations in Southern Ontario to a much greater extent than the Commission tried to do.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #906 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »

My plan takes away Toronto's 'extra' seat and gives it to Peel Region and SW Ontario.  I also try to equalize populations in Southern Ontario to a much greater extent than the Commission tried to do.

Not bad, Looks like the original Proposal to some degree for central TO; You solved, the problem of communities of interest being split (Church-Wellesley in the proposal map and Chinatown in the final map). Your Toronto Centre name is misleading since none of what is commonly thought of as "central" TO is there... Rosedale-Leaside would be a better name.
I wonder if there would be any complaints about the Scarb border for your Wexford and Agincourt ridings being moved west to the 404, instead of the old border of VicPark?
Niagara is still a little mess... the Lincoln riding is odd, NoL is just barely attached which feels like left overs. Not sure if the population distribution works, but have you tried to move Pelham back to Lincoln; NoL into Niagara Falls and move Fort Erie into Welland?
I do like what was done with Peterborough, Brantford-Six Nations and Oshawa But Conestoga-Brant is messy, again looks like leftovers being squeezed together. No matter what map i see, this area always seems to be a problem eh.
Cochrane-Superior-James Bay (i like Cochrane-Algoma-James Bay better) and Kenora seem way to small (population wise) at about 47 and 55 thousand... could we not move areas from SSM into Cochrane and, yikes areas from both TB ridings into Kenora, just to even out the North?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #907 on: April 30, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »

Borders in Eastern Ontario are much better than the report, however their names are better.
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #908 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »

Also, Alberta's page was updated to announce us than one of the commissionners sadly died last month.
That's what the Saskatchewan Tories are hoping for, eh?
Wilfred Day
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #909 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:12 PM »

For those of you with nothing to do on a Saturday night, here is the Report of the Krago Commission for Ontario.
Unlike the wise Commissioners, you stayed with their weird "Pickering--Brooklin" alignment. But my main complaint is that the francophone-oriented Nickel Belt riding has lost the francophone areas of West Nipissing, Markstay-Warren, St.-Charles and French River. Bad. Almost as bad is Wawa--Kapuskasing--Iroquois Falls--Moosonee. Conestoga--Brant has already been assassinated by kinder folks than me.
Krago
« Reply #910 on: May 01, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »

Not bad, Looks like the original Proposal to some degree for central TO; You solved, the problem of communities of interest being split (Church-Wellesley in the proposal map and Chinatown in the final map). Your Toronto Centre name is misleading since none of what is commonly thought of as "central" TO is there... Rosedale-Leaside would be a better name.

What about 'Don Valley South'?  If this were in Quebec, you could call it 'Kathleen-Wynne'.

I wonder if there would be any complaints about the Scarb border for your Wexford and Agincourt ridings being moved west to the 404, instead of the old border of VicPark?

Scarborough is a bit underpopulated for six ridings.  If you have to cross Victoria Park, that seems like the best area - and Hwy 404 is a good boundary.

Niagara is still a little mess... the Lincoln riding is odd, NoL is just barely attached which feels like left overs. Not sure if the population distribution works, but have you tried to move Pelham back to Lincoln; NoL into Niagara Falls and move Fort Erie into Welland?

Both Pelham (especially Fonthill) and Thorold have close historical ties to Welland, whereas Fort Erie tends to associate with Niagara Falls.  The Niagara Falls Review is the principal newspaper in Fort Erie while the Welland Tribune isn't available.  As for Lincoln riding, Niagara-on-the-Lake shares the tender fruit lands with Grimsby and Beamsville (check out a Niagara wineries map), and there is historical precedence with the former provincial riding of Brock and St. Catharines-Brock.

I do like what was done with Peterborough, Brantford-Six Nations and Oshawa But Conestoga-Brant is messy, again looks like leftovers being squeezed together. No matter what map i see, this area always seems to be a problem eh.

Waterloo and Brant combined have the necessary population for six ridings, with 5/6 of the population living in the major urban centres (K-W, Cambridge, Brantford) and 1/6 living in small towns and rural areas.  So I came up with 5 urban seats and one rural riding.  If you want proof of the connection between the rural areas, look no further than the Ayr-Paris Band.

Cochrane-Superior-James Bay (i like Cochrane-Algoma-James Bay better) and Kenora seem way to small (population wise) at about 47 and 55 thousand... could we not move areas from SSM into Cochrane and, yikes areas from both TB ridings into Kenora, just to even out the North?

Parliament and the Supreme Court allowed for the 25% variance to be exceeded for exceptional circumstances.  Northern Ontario is a prime example of this.  Instead of having all 10 seats hovering around the 25% limit, I would much prefer that those two huge seats be well below the limit and the most of the remaining ridings be within shouting distance of equality.  Go big or go home!
Krago
« Reply #911 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

For those of you with nothing to do on a Thursday afternoon, here is the Report of the Krago Commission for British Columbia.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #912 on: May 02, 2013, 03:49:24 PM »

I see you have solved the Burnaby--Seymour problem, but the interior is still under represented compared to the Lower Mainland.
Benj

« Reply #913 on: May 02, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2013, 04:12:46 PM by Benj »

Just wanted to say that I like a lot about that map. There are so many solutions on there that should be obvious but that the current map and the Commission seem to be ignoring. I strongly approve of your combination of Campbell River-Powell River-Sunshine Coast and of keeping Kelowna united in a single district.

Not to detract from the beauty of the map, but there are a few areas that I would change. The Cowichan Valley/Esquimalt/Saanich area in particular,* though there might be some way to clean up the areas around Abbotsford and Coquitlam as well (but I'm not sure how). I would also try to unite Prince George into a single seat with a sprawling rural seat around it, if that's possible (Prince George and Cariboo-Peace River?).

*I'd try to put Esquimalt and urban Saanich to Gordon Head together (Esquimalt-Saanich?) and then put North Saanich/Sidney with Langford and the Mill Bay/Shawnigan Lake area (Sidney-Langford?) and Sooke/points west into Cowichan Valley (Cowichan Valley-Gulf Islands-Juan de Fuca?). This is a pretty radical departure from the current map, but I think it's a lot better, and changes like moving the Gulf Islands into the Cowichan district definitely suggest a change like this one.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #914 on: May 02, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »

You kind of have to split up Prince George so that the rural seats aren't too huge. PG isn't dissimilar from the area around it anyways.
Krago
« Reply #915 on: May 02, 2013, 05:47:38 PM »

You kind of have to split up Prince George so that the rural seats aren't too huge. PG isn't dissimilar from the area around it anyways.

Prince George: The Thunder Bay of British Columbia (not that there's anything wrong with that...)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #916 on: May 02, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »

The Ontario one seems to have a lot of weird shapes, looks like a fair bit of gerrymandering.  Anybody able to find out what the results were last election in the various ridings.  I would rather stick with the one before that didn't have the weird shapes. 

Anyways when are the final ones released.
Krago
« Reply #917 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2013, 07:53:38 PM by Krago »

The Report of the Krago Commission for Alberta

The Report of the Krago Commission for Saskatchewan
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #918 on: May 02, 2013, 10:33:42 PM »

I like the Alberta map, except for the NE party of Calgary. I prefer using the airport as a boundary. But, I like having Red Deer in one riding, and I like going back to the Edmonton East name.

As for Saskatchewan, I like Saskatoon's divisions, but Regina seems random. Would Regina--Pasqua go NDP on this map?
Krago
« Reply #919 on: May 04, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »

As for Saskatchewan, I like Saskatoon's divisions, but Regina seems random. Would Regina--Pasqua go NDP on this map?

Both Palliser and Regina--Pasqua would be very narrow, notional Tory victories.

Battlefords--Lloydminster: CONS 67%, NDP 27%, LIB 3%, GRN 3%
Cypress Hills--Grasslands: CONS 71%, NDP 21%, LIB 6%, GRN 3%
Desnethé--Missinippi--Churchill River: CONS 47%, NDP 45%, LIB 5%, GRN 2%
Palliser: CONS 46%, NDP 45%, LIB 6%, GRN 3%
Prince Albert: CONS 62%, NDP 32%, LIB 4%, GRN 2%, OTH 0%
Regina--Pasqua: CONS 46%, NDP 44%, LIB 7%, GRN 3%, OTH 0%
Regina--Qu’Appelle: CONS 62%, NDP 29%, LIB 5%, GRN 3%, OTH 0%
Regina--Wascana: LIB 42%, CONS 36%, NDP 20%, GRN 2%
Saskatoon East: NDP 46%, CONS 43%, LIB 8%, GRN 3%, OTH 0%
Saskatoon--Humboldt: CONS 60%, NDP 29%, LIB 7%, GRN 2%, OTH 1%
Saskatoon--Wanuskewin: CONS 64%, NDP 27%, LIB 5%, GRN 3%
Saskatoon West: NDP 52%, CONS 41%, LIB 4%, GRN 3%
Souris--Moose Mountain: CONS 74%, NDP 19%, LIB 5%, GRN 3%
Yorkton--Melville--Tisdale: CONS 69%, NDP 22%, LIB 6%, GRN 2%, OTH 0%

P.S. Does anyone know how to Insert a Table?
Krago
« Reply #920 on: May 05, 2013, 01:14:11 AM »

Here is my attempt to re-draw eleven ridings in Brampton and Mississauga.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #921 on: May 05, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »

Both Palliser and Regina--Pasqua would be very narrow, notional Tory victories.

Battlefords--Lloydminster: CONS 67%, NDP 27%, LIB 3%, GRN 3%
Cypress Hills--Grasslands: CONS 71%, NDP 21%, LIB 6%, GRN 3%
Desnethé--Missinippi--Churchill River: CONS 47%, NDP 45%, LIB 5%, GRN 2%
Palliser: CONS 46%, NDP 45%, LIB 6%, GRN 3%
Prince Albert: CONS 62%, NDP 32%, LIB 4%, GRN 2%, OTH 0%
Regina--Pasqua: CONS 46%, NDP 44%, LIB 7%, GRN 3%, OTH 0%
Regina--Qu’Appelle: CONS 62%, NDP 29%, LIB 5%, GRN 3%, OTH 0%
Regina--Wascana: LIB 42%, CONS 36%, NDP 20%, GRN 2%
Saskatoon East: NDP 46%, CONS 43%, LIB 8%, GRN 3%, OTH 0%
Saskatoon--Humboldt: CONS 60%, NDP 29%, LIB 7%, GRN 2%, OTH 1%
Saskatoon--Wanuskewin: CONS 64%, NDP 27%, LIB 5%, GRN 3%
Saskatoon West: NDP 52%, CONS 41%, LIB 4%, GRN 3%
Souris--Moose Mountain: CONS 74%, NDP 19%, LIB 5%, GRN 3%
Yorkton--Melville--Tisdale: CONS 69%, NDP 22%, LIB 6%, GRN 2%, OTH 0%

P.S. Does anyone know how to Insert a Table?

Why would you create a riding in Regina that wasn't notional NDP?

To create a table, use the table button (the one with the grid). The other table buttons will set up your rows and cells like in html. Basically it is like html except with square brackets instead of "<" and ">"
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #922 on: May 05, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »

Much better. My only complaint is that you have split up the community of Springdale, and decided to call one riding Brampton-Springdale, a riding that only contains part of Springdale and is not a true successor to the current riding of Brampton-Springdale. A better name would perhaps be "Brampton-Gore-Sprindgdale".
Krago
« Reply #923 on: May 05, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »

Where do you define the boundaries of the community of Springdale?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #924 on: May 05, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »

Where do you define the boundaries of the community of Springdale?

It's not an exact science, but if you google Springdale and look for businesses that use the term in their names, you get a good idea of what is colloquially known as Springdale.

The southern boundary appears to be Boivard, the eastern boundary appears to be Airport and the western boundary appears to be the 410 or Dixie.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies