Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:39:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts 2012  (Read 177686 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: December 15, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »

Well, given than the government and the provinces already track population numbers, they have a very good of how many people there is in each province.

By the way, Quebec reached 8 million people yesterday.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

I suppose than ridings in my area won't change.

The less populated riding had near average progress, while the more populated had very slight progress (but not spread equally at all).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »

Montreal Island proper hasn't grown all that much, though the West Island (go figure) has.

Well, there isn't much room for growth on the Island.
Perhaps more in West Island, I never went there.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »

I'll talk of my region, Abitibi-Témiscamingue, because I know it.

There is only 2 possible plans, because any other idea would get shot down by the people.
It is impossible to split an MRC.
It is VERY impossible to put Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or in the same riding.
The commission did both in its first plan last time, it was badly received.

So, two cases possible. Abitibi MRC in Abitibi-Témiscamingue (since 2004) or in Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou (before 2004).

The current plan has the problem of road links. It doesn't connect well. To do Val-d'Or-Matagami, you need to pass by Abitibi MRC.

But, on the demography side, Abitibi-Témiscamingue has just the good size. Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou is a bit underpopulated, but it is the Canada 4th largest riding and Native growth is significant, so it's mae more sense to keep the status quo. The other case (even larger ABJNE, being quite populated isn't good).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

The Quebec federal commission used 3 regional groupings. Montreal, North of St. Lawrence, South of St. Lawrence.

It would make sense to keep them, because it is sure than the St. Lawrence must not be crossed and than Montreal has to be left alone.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »

The Quebec federal commission used 3 regional groupings. Montreal, North of St. Lawrence, South of St. Lawrence.

It would make sense to keep them, because it is sure than the St. Lawrence must not be crossed and than Montreal has to be left alone.

Vaudreuil-Soulanges is too big now to be one riding, so I reckon a new riding will be created that will cross over into Montreal like V-S did in the 1980s.

Another option is possible. They can go in the Salaberry Island (currently in Beauharnois-Salaberry) direction and split V-S, to do a Vaudreuil riding and a Salaberry-Soulanges one.

If I remember well, the bridge between Soulanges area and Salaberry Island was enlarged to a 4 lanes one a few years ago.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:57:10 PM »

Vaudreuil-Soulanges is too big now to be one riding, so I reckon a new riding will be created that will cross over into Montreal like V-S did in the 1980s.

Another option is possible. They can go in the Salaberry Island (currently in Beauharnois-Salaberry) direction and split V-S, to do a Vaudreuil riding and a Salaberry-Soulanges one.

If I remember well, the bridge between Soulanges area and Salaberry Island was enlarged to a 4 lanes one a few years ago.

True, but that requires crossing the St. Lawrence.

At that place, it isn't a problem to cross it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2012, 08:52:42 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

I don't know for natural connections, but, the riding isn't so much overpopulated. Splitting it and going into Montreal would have an huge domino effect.

EDIT: It existed on the provincial level from 1989 to 2001, covering the southern half of Soulanges, Salaberry Island and two villages on the South Shore. Was split in 2001. Now, Soulanges covers most of Soulanges (except very urban places, which are in Vaudreuil) and Beauharnois, which cover Beauharnois, Maple Grove, Salaberry Island and three villages.

I would play around with the numbers, but any idea of what the quota is?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:53:18 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2012, 08:57:57 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

I edited the previous post, sorry.

EDIT: To add to my previous post,it would be logic, since it is how it went on Quebec side. A Vaudreuil-Soulanges to begin, then a Vaudreuil and a Salaberry-Soulanges and finally a Vaudreuil and a Soulanges. If growth continue in that area, it will eventually happen.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »

Basic numbers.

Vaudreuil (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Hudson, Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac, Pointe-des-Cascades, St. Lazare, Rigaud, Perrot Island):105,826

Salaberry-Soulanges (Removed towns + Salaberry Island): 73,604. Expanding around Salabarry and into Beauhardois should do the job, no?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

The quotient in QC is 101321 by the way. Smiley

I know. But I can't cut more into Vaudreuil without spliting a town or drawing something with no road link and the other riding isn't finished.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

Glad you like the map. I dont know if the commission accepts proposals? If it does, then I will send all my maps Wink

Last time, they only held public hearings, but, we don't know.
Last year, for Quebec redistricting, they allowed to send documents and comments by internet after the proposed map was published.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »

Well, for now. Some Portuguese association could sue than their community of interest was split, like Acadians did in 2004 about Acadie-Bathurst.

I don't think this would work, but, who knows with courts?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »

The official website for redistricting is open.

http://www.redecoupage-federal-redistribution.ca
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:44 AM »

Some, since they began working at the end of April last time, I think we can expect first results in May?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2012, 12:15:10 AM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

http://www.redecoupage-federal-redistribution.ca/content.asp?section=nfld&dir=media&document=may2512&lang=e

Newfoundland proposal redistricting.

Wierd proposal. Labrador and St.John's South-Mount Pearl are kept as they are.
The rest is cut in vertical slices!

The west coast is "Long Range Mountains" (a truly wierd name), the center is "Bay d'Espoir-Central-Notre Dame", after there is "Bonavista-Burin-Trinity", which looks like the old Bonavista-Trinity-Conception, but without Conception and with Burin, "Avalon which cover rural Avalon (except Trinity area).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »

Well, the report seems to say than the central north/south road is new, so there was no connection before.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »

For the order of parts inside names, it doesn't seem linked to population or importance of the area, but rather to the alphabetical order.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 03:51:34 PM »

This year, NL was published a Friday.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »

Miramichi is complicated since the only direction it can expand is towards Moncton, as they can't tough to Southern NB (well, they can, but it would go the courts again and be stuck down again), forcing an ugly redraw.

Tobique-Saint John River Valley is a bit strange name (and even more in French, Tobique-La Vallée de la Rivière Saint-Jean, especially with the La).

They seem to like ramdom appendages. the Frederiction one going to Burton, the Tobique on going to Minto, the strange U border between NBSW and Fundy-Quispamsis.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

Hmm, Beausejour is over populated, why not shift some of its territory to Miramichi?

They said than the coastal area was a community of interest and Miramichi was already too big.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »

Yes, I agree than they were too much pro status quo. But I maintain than the Miramichi thing is than they are over-cautious over the French/English divide and over court contestation

Note than changing too much things is possible, like the Quebec commission was last time, which led to weird boundaries which were returned to status quo after the audiences.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 03:10:40 AM »

At least, they didn't reproprosed the very strange proposal of 2004 of putting all reservations in Miramichi, no matter where they were in the province.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2012, 03:59:25 PM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

From what I see Esquimalt-Juan de Fuca is broke in two (Cowichan South-Juan de Fuca and Esquimalt-Colwood).

Does it is a fast growing suburban area?

Burnaty North-Seymour is weird, it crosses Fraser and doesn't both sides of a bridge.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »

Strange way of drawing a new Vancourver riding. Touching the less possible the other riding and making one from the parts removed, which give a strange shape to the new riding.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies