Obama betrays his youth base again!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:51:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama betrays his youth base again!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama betrays his youth base again!  (Read 1827 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »

I particularly love how 'freeloading' is defined as academic overachievement or simply being unable to find a job in this economy, and the only young people who are worthwhile in Krazenverse are those who have both the inclination and the sheer dumb luck to successfully enter the workforce immediately after leaving high school or, at best, four-year college. That's the most ridiculously backwards definition of achievement I've seen in a long time, though not quite as bad as the frankly terrifying underlying moral assumption that people being 'deserving' of health care should be based on their economic productivity.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »

Yeah, I really don't understand the conservative objections here at all. Giving parents the option of paying for their kids' health insurance until they're 25 is "Uncle Barry providing for freeloaders," somehow? I don't understand the logic that it's entirely acceptable for a high school senior to be covered by their family's health insurance, but as soon as they become a college freshman they're a lazy freeloader... could someone explain that for me, please?

Honestly, what's wrong with giving parents the option to pay for a young adult son or daughter's health insurance? For a lot of people in that age range it's really the only way they can expect to be covered, unless they are so poor they could qualify for Medicaid. I mean, I think it'd be irresponsible for a family to continue providing health insurance for a child who has the ability to pay for it on their own, but ultimately that's the parent's decision, not the government's. Since when are conservatives fine with the government telling parents how to raise their family?

There was nothing preventing parents from paying for the insurance of their adult children beforehand, BK.  What the Obamacare law did was force employer-provided insurance plans to offer coverage to those age 19-25.  In that respect, Obamacare made the existing situation of people expecting to be able to pay below market prices for their health care worse.  That expectation is a major reason why health care inflation has pretty consistently been much higher than general inflation for quite some time now.
Link
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »

What the Obamacare law did was force employer-provided insurance plans to offer coverage to those age 19-25.  In that respect, Obamacare made the existing situation of people expecting to be able to pay below market prices for their health care worse.  That expectation is a major reason why health care inflation has pretty consistently been much higher than general inflation for quite some time now.

huh?

Other than young women having babies (hardly the type of thing you see in college/graduate school bound females) 19-25 year olds are hardly the demographic you should be blaming for healthcare inflation no matter how much irrational dislike you have for Obama.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »

There is a lot of misinformation here.

First off, employer health care plans often offer the option of dependents and many employees already had added their children to their healthcare plans. The employee still pays a percentage of the premium.

Health care inflation is a result of a monopoly on health insurance that allows for premiums and rates to stay very high. The health insurance market is one of the most closed ones that there is.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2011, 09:58:35 PM by krazen1211 »

Factually inaccurate. Someone in high school, college, or medical school is not a doctor.

Certainly if you are a freeloader, I would not at all question why you vote straight ticket Democrat. It benefits you.

So if you are premed or a medical school student you are a "lazy freeloader."  Riiiiggghht.  Your arguments in this thread are obvious partisan hackery.  It's embarrassing.

When Link makes up nonsense and is caught, he resorts to some odd brand of sarcasm and calls people names. No wonder he voted for Obama.

It's almost as funny as the time he accused George W. Bush of slashing entitlements.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »

I can only imagine what a huge difference this will make for a lot of people. It's going to make a huge difference even for me. I just graduated from a very good college with good grades and lots of connections and work for minimum wage living at home. I don't think of myself as a freeloader at all, I'm working very hard both at work and at finding a better job and a place to live. If that's leading nowhere for me, I feel bad for the people who haven't been as fortunate as I have. This takes a great deal of stress off my shoulders as a relatively comfortable 22-year-old. Anecdotal but relevant, I think.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »

What the Obamacare law did was force employer-provided insurance plans to offer coverage to those age 19-25.  In that respect, Obamacare made the existing situation of people expecting to be able to pay below market prices for their health care worse.  That expectation is a major reason why health care inflation has pretty consistently been much higher than general inflation for quite some time now.

huh?

Other than young women having babies (hardly the type of thing you see in college/graduate school bound females) 19-25 year olds are hardly the demographic you should be blaming for healthcare inflation no matter how much irrational dislike you have for Obama.

I can tell you definitely are not a sock of CARL, since he's of the opinion I have an irrational love of Obama.

And you are right that in general19-25 year olds are not major consumers of health care, but the problem with the health care system now is that there is a major disconnect between the people who pay for health care and the people who decide what health care is paid for.  Expanding the pool of people covered by insurance subsided by employers and tax breaks can only make health care inflation worse.

We couldn't afford the health care inflation we already had and Obama's health care "reforms" either did nothing about it or made it worse.  A public option or even socialized medicine would have done more to rein in health care costs, tho not without pain elsewhere besides the wallet.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies