The Election of 2000: Santorum v. Shaheen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:12:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Election of 2000: Santorum v. Shaheen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should this timeline continue?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: The Election of 2000: Santorum v. Shaheen  (Read 7250 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 03:23:12 AM »

I can see Romney winning 2004 in a landslide.

Nah, I see Romney winning in 2008 after voter fatigue and a financial crisis produce a historic win, and then miraculous economic recovery from voodoo economics leads to a Reaganesque victory in 2012.

We should open a poll in this timeline: a) "Romney 2004" or b) "Romney 2008".
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »

Governor Huckabee announced to the surprise of many that his running mate would be John McCain, the twice presidential candidate and Senator from Arizona.
"I want someone beside me in the White House who may disagree with me at time, but will a voice of reason and clear judgement. John McCain is that person and he will be the next Vice President of The United States."

The nomination of Mike Huckabee came as a shock to the political establishment. Being a grassroots candidates most never expected him to make it to the primaries and caucuses, but by pulling off quite an upset he proved he was tough competition, even when facing a relatively popular incumbent.

Matchup:
Shaheen: 50%
Huckabee: 41%

Though Shaheen had the successful campaign in Afghanistan the US economy was slowly starting to weaken. In order to dodge it as an issue during the election Shaheen played her strengths on National Security, and how she was best prepared to keep America safe in a still uncertain world.

"My opponent believes that by attacking me and not discussing the real issue he can win. We'll I've got some news for him. That isn't the way politics work and it's not the way America works. Gov. Huckabee is time for you to come clear. State your positions and let the American people decide!"

Despite the interest in Huckabee, Shaheen led him throughout much of the campaign and the three presidential debates did not change much. Shaheen and Huckabee remained on their talking points, though Huckabee did charge Shaheen for beginning the withdrawal from Afghanistan too soon.

However, by election night Shaheen was able to meet expectations and did win reelections, but by a much closer margin than most pundits had predicted. The charming Huckabee managed to win back Florida, West Virginia, Iowa and Nevada. Going into election most expected Shaheen to come out with at least a ten point win over Huckabee, but the election night results proved the polls were wrong. Huckabee came within spitting distance of Shaheen in the electoral and popular votes.

Shaheen: 277 (49.9%)
Huckabee: 261 (48.4%)

Close States:
Ohio:
Shaheen: 49.6%
Huckabee: 49.0%

Pennsylvania:
Shaheen: 49.9%
Huckabee: 48.7%

New Mexico:
Shaheen: 50.9%
Huckabee: 48.5%

Iowa:
Huckabee: 50.0%
Shaheen: 48.7%

Nevada:
Huckabee: 50.2%
Shaheen: 48.8%

For the first time in more than fifty years the same party held onto the White House for more than twelve years. The longest being twenty years from 1933-1953, during the administrations of Roosevelt and Truman.

Having won reelection Shaheen headed into her second term still with Democratic majorities in the House and Senate, though as her second term got under way the grip held by the Democratic party was beginning to weaken...

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »

This Timeline is not dead, just on hiatus for an undetermined amount of time...Something better will becoming in the new year.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »

I know that this timeline has not been updated in several moths, but I feel that the thought of having Rick Santorum as president on 9/11 would be pretty scary.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »

I know that this timeline has not been updated in several moths, but I feel that the thought of having Rick Santorum as president on 9/11 would be pretty scary.

For the terrorists.  Expect a full on holy war, the Tenth Crusade.  He would probably start up the draft again too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies