Presidents and the Cult of Personality.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:30:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Presidents and the Cult of Personality.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidents and the Cult of Personality.  (Read 1335 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »

Does anyone think any of the presidents have a Cult of Personality associated with them?

While not to the extent of Kim Jong-Il, I do think a few of them did. Especially John F. Kenndy and Ronald Reagan.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »

How can you ask this question and not bring up FDR?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:45 PM »

How can you ask this question and not bring up FDR?

Perhaps because today cult is used as pejorative for false religions? Grin
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »

I think most of them do.....at least to a minor extent.  But yeah, clearly JFK and Reagan were above the crowd.  My mom has a bust of JFK for cripes sake...and she aint Irish or a Catholic...hell, she isn't even a Democrat anymore, but the bust is still there (though not in a very public place).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:30 AM »

Yes. My history teacher is practically in love with him. Miller (my teacher) is pretty much a stereotype of an old-time Democrat: Worships Jefferson, Jackson, Wilson, both Roosevelts, and of course Truman who is Miller's namesake. A Presbyterian, it might involve a religious bias "Andrew Jackson, one of our strongest Presidents was Presbyterian."
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »

Obama had it before he was president, but not anymore.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:57:17 AM »

It's still there but it's clearly faded, just like the bumper stickers.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:38:19 AM »

Every elected president has had, in some way, a cult of personality surrounding them. How in the world does one become president if they do not have a very loyal band of supporters who agree with everything they say?

The president who did the most of cultivate his own cult of personality is, oddly enough, Calvin Coolidge. New York adman Bruce Barton (later a member of the trio "Martin, Barton and Fish"), public relations guru Edward Bernays and his wealthy Northampton supporters went out of their way to craft the image of "Silent Cal." Coolidge loved this image and cultivated it in any way he could. Many of the classic "Silent Cal" and "Pennypincher Cal" stories that are passed around were intentionally made to add to the image of the stoic, sober New England  executive. Their plan worked.  Coolidge is really only known for one thing today: he never spoke. This is not true, but it fits the narrative of his cult of personality.   
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »

Jefferson. My history teacher loves him as well. Honestly, he'll talk about Washington, he'll talk about Jefferson. The only time I'll hear him mention my man John Adams is in reference to Jefferson's friendship with him. Get over him already! If any man spent as much time talking about any modern President the amount he'll talk about Jefferson, he'd be seen, and rightfully so, as a complete hack.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »

Yes. My history teacher is practically in love with him. Miller (my teacher) is pretty much a stereotype of an old-time Democrat: Worships Jefferson, Jackson, Wilson, both Roosevelts, and of course Truman who is Miller's namesake. A Presbyterian, it might involve a religious bias "Andrew Jackson, one of our strongest Presidents was Presbyterian."

IIRC, Andrew Jackson rarely attended Church, and during his Presidency was reluctant to do so, so that his religion wasn't misconstrued as a political tool.  So if the fact that Jackson was a Presbyterian is your teachers reasoning, it strikes me as rather odd.  FTR, I enjoy learning about all of those President's, except Wilson Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies