Greece 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greece 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greece 2012  (Read 223412 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: April 26, 2012, 12:07:29 AM »

Well I'm hoping for a PASOK-ND-KKE-SYRIZA-DIMAR-Greens coalition.

But I think I'm optimistic at that Wink
What kind of coalition is that? Aren't those parties polar opposites in ideology?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »

If something like that happens then the first thing I'll do next day is to go to the bank and withdraw my deposits.

Actually I might do it even earlier, before the election. I'll avoid the stampede.

You should do it before. There may will be a general run on the banks within hours.
Take the advice from the Russians, they have experience with this sort of thing Smiley
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:11:02 AM »

So would they keep passing the coalition forming ability down the party rank until it Communists, and then even Fascist get a shot at it? That could be some serous shenanigans.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:54:07 AM »

Except Syriza can't end austerity, even if they're right about the euro thing (which is uncertain).

The problem with austerity is this... after 4 years of recession, why haven't prices come down? Why hasn't the current account deficit been eliminated? Greece is getting all the pain of austerity but none of the benefit. That is the real riddle here. But it's more an economics question, off topic.
Because there are no benefits to austerity.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2012, 07:02:19 PM by Senator Seatown »

The way things are looking for Greece it's better to exit if they don't want to deal with 10 more years of austerity, one swift default and a few months of unrest and they can go back to being a functioning tourist trap.
@ Leftbehind, much simpler solution would be equalization payments, where Germany pays a few billion to Greece each year.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »

The relevant poll is on BBC. Over Monday and Tuesday Greek banks had 1.2 bln euro withdrawn (0.75% of deposits). There may well be a bank run within days (actually, this IS an early stage of the bank run, the question is if it is contained). If that happens, the political situaion is going to be changed fairly radically: god knows how, though.
So Greeks are voting for SYRIZA before voting for SYRIZA?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »

Surley this  must mean the end to Golden Dawn's time in parliament?

Well, the thing is, if a person is actually a horrible enough human being to find it in themselves to vote for a neo-nazi party, than would they actually be bothered by something like this?

Sadly, I think the kind of people who vote for XA are just deluded idiots who have no idea what kind of party they are voting for. A share of them probably don't even know what a nazi is...
Nah they know what a Nazi is, they just deny what they have done.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:50:16 AM »

My gut feeling is that ND is going to beat out SYRIZA.  It should be something like
ND       29
SYRIZA 25
PASOK  10

At this stage the desire to get to a stable governement should be overriding all other concerns. This should be enough for ND-PASOK to get a slim majority. 
lol why would Greeks want a stable government? It's pretty clear 80% of them hate Germany so they might as well go suicide bomb it.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:20:59 AM »

My gut feeling is that ND is going to beat out SYRIZA.  It should be something like
ND       29
SYRIZA 25
PASOK  10

At this stage the desire to get to a stable governement should be overriding all other concerns. This should be enough for ND-PASOK to get a slim majority. 
lol why would Greeks want a stable government? It's pretty clear 80% of them hate Germany so they might as well go suicide bomb it.

Yeah, that'll teach us a lesson. It's attitudes like this that make me certain that the entire Euro is a stupid idea. Mooch off of the participants that are responsible and then throw a fit when mummy won't tolerate it any longer.

For their own sake, I hope the Greek voters are more responsible than that. It'd heard them a lot more than us.
Europe fed Greeks well enough before Euro.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:42:21 PM »

Why doesn't PASOK just forma  coalition with SYRIZA?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:51:28 AM »

Looks like it will be ND-PASOK-DIMAR.  DIMAR was always on the fence on the Memorandum.  Of course after the last election ND-PASOK-DIMAR was the only viable coalition but PASOK and DIMAR said no.  Now after market chaos and Greece getting close to the brink, they finally has come to their senses.  That is the way things ought to be, when you do something stupid, the market will punish you and then you better be with the picture. 

June 19 (Bloomberg) -- Democratic Left leader Fotis
Kouvelis said it was possible that an agreement on a Greek
coalition government could be reached in the next few hours.
     “Agreement on a policy roadmap is the definitive point to
form a government,” Kouvelis said after meeting with Pasok
leader Evangelos Venizelos in Athens today. “The process is
speeding up. It is possible that in the next few hours, or
within the day, a government can be decided.”
     He spoke in Athens in comments carried live on state-run
NET TV.
Stockholm syndrome. Greeks love their oppressors now.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 03:03:34 AM »

I believe that should there be a third election, Dimar voters would "vote utile" for Syriza, at least a number of them, in order to get Syriza the majority premium of 50 seats. So Dimar has their last shot at being in charge with a nice parliamentary group...

Yeah, let's just ignore the whole probability of Greece finally falling off the cliff, dragging Europe down with it if there was a third election.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GqgOvzUeiAA

Change bolshevik to falling off the cliff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies