Hanukkah starts at sunset on the 20th.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:50:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Hanukkah starts at sunset on the 20th.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hanukkah starts at sunset on the 20th.  (Read 3611 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »

American Jews celebrate it much more heavily because it takes place around the same time as Christmas and Jewish parents don't want their kids to get jealous of their Gentile neighbors.

Heck, a good chunk of them have just given up and decided to celebrate Christmas.

Well. if the Christians can't "get" Judaism, then at least they have Jesus.

And, no disrespect to my friends of other religions or no religion, Jesus is all we need.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »

And, no disrespect to my friends of other religions or no religion, Jesus is all we need.

An idiotic and yes, offensive, thing to say.

On another note, I love Hasidic attire.  I'd almost dress like it for fun, except I consider that a tad sacrilegious.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »

It seems kind of odd for one of the least important Jewish holidays to coincide with one of Christianity's most important holidays (second only to Easter).  I guess that's on purpose so as to not overshadow or short-circuit the importance of Christmas.
Uh, our holiday is way older than yours, unless you're counting the pagan roots of Christmas, which is the only reason you celebrate on Dec 25 anyway. And Jews don't take Christianity into account when we're scheduling our holidays.

It's a celebration of freedom -- right?

It's safe to say that there were no Christmas trees, no yule log, no Santa Claus, no reindeer, no sleigh, no caroling, no Christmas stockings, and no nutcracker at the birth of Jesus, and there was certainly no snow.  

The Early Christian Church selected December 25 to co-opt one of the biggest pagan bashes, the Saturnalia that celebrated the return of the Sun from the south and the obvious start of the lengthening of the days.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 11:07:40 PM »

I'm one of the few guys out there who actually PREFERS to wear a suit and tie to Sunday Morning Worship.  I normally don't do that, because nobody in our church does, but once in a while I do especially on Easter and the Fourth of July and sometimes Christmas. 

You where a suit and tie to church specifically on the Fourth of July?  Because Jesus and America combined are worth dressing up for?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »

I'm not even sure if Hannukah (as a holiday) outdates Christmas.  I'm not sure if Hannukah was celebrated in Hasmonean/Roman Judea.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 01:14:46 AM »

I'm not even sure if Hannukah (as a holiday) outdates Christmas.  I'm not sure if Hannukah was celebrated in Hasmonean/Roman Judea.
Hanukah dates to at least the first century. Quoth wikipedia:

The ancient Jewish Historian Flavius Josephus narrates in his book Jewish Antiquities XII, how the victorious Judas Maccabeus ordered lavish yearly eight-day festivities after rededicating the Temple in Jerusalem that had been profaned by Antiochus IV Epiphanes. Josephus does not say the festival was called Hannukkah but rather the "Festival of Lights":

"Now Judas celebrated the festival of the restoration of the sacrifices of the temple for eight days, and omitted no sort of pleasures thereon; but he feasted them upon very rich and splendid sacrifices; and he honored God, and delighted them by hymns and psalms. Nay, they were so very glad at the revival of their customs, when, after a long time of intermission, they unexpectedly had regained the freedom of their worship, that they made it a law for their posterity, that they should keep a festival, on account of the restoration of their temple worship, for eight days. And from that time to this we celebrate this festival, and call it Lights. I suppose the reason was, because this liberty beyond our hopes appeared to us; and that thence was the name given to that festival. Judas also rebuilt the walls round about the city, and reared towers of great height against the incursions of enemies, and set guards therein. He also fortified the city Bethsura, that it might serve as a citadel against any distresses that might come from our enemies."[8]

Records of Christmas only pop up later. Again quoting wikipedia:
The earliest known reference to the date of the nativity as December 25 is found in the Chronography of 354, an illuminated manuscript compiled in Rome.[
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies