Most moderate non-New England Senate Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most moderate non-New England Senate Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the most moderate non-New England Senate Republican?
Murkowski (AK)

Lugar (IN)

Grassley (IA)

Heller (NV)

McCain (AZ)

Kirk (IL)

other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Most moderate non-New England Senate Republican  (Read 3949 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »

It does seem to be Murkowski.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:16:02 PM »

I'll buck the trend and say Lugar, though Murky's a close second and Kirk's in third.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:46:07 AM »

Murkowski, followed by Lugar and Kirk not necessarily in that order. The rest aren't 'moderate', they're just 'in more-or-less full possession of their mental faculties in some or many situations', which is much the same thing in the modern party.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:30:41 AM »

Murkowski. After her - Kirk and Lugar
Reginald
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:53:00 AM »

Murkowski, and this last election seems to have increased the number of times she bucks the party line. And if that's because she wants to throw some occasional middle fingers to the Republican leadership, you can't blame her, really.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »

Murkowski, and this last election seems to have increased the number of times she bucks the party line. And if that's because she wants to throw some occasional middle fingers to the Republican leadership, you can't blame her, really.

Sure you can, she did a crappy enough job to lose in the primary.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:48 PM »

Remove vote-the-district stuff and Murkowski's special situation, and the answer may well be Thad Cochran.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »

Lugar, but Lewis makes a good point about Cochran.
Reginald
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »

Fair enough; I should've said I personally can't really blame her. I know not everyone agrees with this, but to me, the results of the general quite justified her "sore loser" bid.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 05:33:13 PM »

Would you say the same about Mike Castle, out of curiosity?

~~~

Relative to his state's proclivities, Cochran is actually a definite possibility.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »

Rand Paul
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

~~~

Relative to his state's proclivities, Cochran is actually a definite possibility.

Castle was not an incumbent Senator.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »

~~~

Castle was not an incumbent Senator.

He was arguably the most prominent and certainly the most senior political figure in his state other than the incumbent Vice President of the United States. Castle and Murkowski lost their primaries in the same national political environment and in similar situations relative to expectations.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »

It's worth noting that Castle, given his status as an At-Large Congressman, was in terms of statewide recognition and campaign staff the same as an incumbent Senator.  If anything, his seniority made him even better established than Murkowski; he was certainly more popular.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't think Murkowski losing her primary was evidence of incompetence on her part exactly (many things, but not incompetence per se) if Castle's wasn't.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 03:45:34 AM »

You guys are assuming voters do not understand there are differences between House and Senate races. I think the success of Tea Party candidates in House races compared to the success of Tea Party candidates in Senate races suggests otherwise.

Or, try this: do you think Castle would have lost a primary for his House seat if he had ran for reelection? I highly doubt that would have happened.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:02 AM »

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't think Murkowski losing her primary was evidence of incompetence on her part exactly (many things, but not incompetence per se) if Castle's wasn't.
It was, though (or maybe just not caring enough - it's a bit like he lost interest in the race once he understood he'd have to work for it). Probably more so than Murkowski's, who couldn't do anything about the albatross of her nepotist appointment as that's how most people first heard of her.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »

Or, try this: do you think Castle would have lost a primary for his House seat if he had ran for reelection? I highly doubt that would have happened.

I think it would have been less likely but I wouldn't really have been notably more surprised than I was in the Senate race.

It was, though (or maybe just not caring enough - it's a bit like he lost interest in the race once he understood he'd have to work for it). Probably more so than Murkowski's, who couldn't do anything about the albatross of her nepotist appointment as that's how most people first heard of her.

Come to think of it, the 2004 Senate race was closer than is/was considered usual for Alaska as well, wasn't it?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »

Come to think of it, the 2004 Senate race was closer than is/was considered usual for Alaska as well, wasn't it?
Of course. There's a reason the Dems ran Tony Knowles again - it was considered a possible pickup. Especially as daddy was going down in flames by then.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 06:41:30 AM by Nathan »

Of course. There's a reason the Dems ran Tony Knowles again - it was considered a possible pickup. Especially as daddy was going down in flames by then.

I'm not certain I really want to know very much about Frank Murkowski considering that Sarah Palin was able to beat him in a primary.

Then again, one could easily say the same thing about Alaska in general.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »

Murkowski.

Cochran skews to the left of his state, but he still votes with the Republicans on pretty much everything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies