If Romney wins Iowa, it's over, right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:20:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Romney wins Iowa, it's over, right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Romney wins Iowa, it's over, right?  (Read 3440 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »

One thing is for certain:
1. Paul will drag this thing out as long as possible and his supporters won't give up.

Ok but that's meaningless when it's 90% vs. 10%.

I'd say it's more like 70-30 or 65-35 which is still fairly meaningless but it would still give us something to watch. Maybe Paul could win Montana one on one against Romney.

Are you out of your mind? You think 30-35% of this party identifies with Ron Paul? Please get serious.

One third of the party would rather vote for Ron Paul than Mitt Romney.
M

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 11:31:56 PM »

1. Paul will drag this thing out as long as possible and his supporters won't give up.

I'd say it's more like 70-30 or 65-35 which is still fairly meaningless but it would still give us something to watch. Maybe Paul could win Montana one on one against Romney.

Are you out of your mind? You think 30-35% of this party identifies with Ron Paul? Please get serious.

That is an absurd statement.

One third of voters, according to polls, is something like Paul's absolute ceiling. And that's before people really start to pay attention.

I think 10-12% is about right, nationally, though higher in some states.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »

One third of voters, according to polls, is something like Paul's absolute ceiling. And that's before people really start to pay attention.

You think that only 10% of GOP primary voters would vote for Paul over Romney? Do you have data to back this up? Paul has the favorability numbers of Romney in most states, while I agree that after a long campaign that this would change but Paul isn't as hated as most of you would like to believe. The polling data simply doesn't back you up.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »

No. New Hampshire has a habit of breaking with whoever Iowa votes for. If Romney wins Iowa, expect Huntsman to possibly pull off an upset in NH, and the primary to come down to the two of them.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 11:57:17 PM »

I am cautiously optimistic that Iowa Republican caucus voters will have the common sense and intelligence to put competence and electability ahead of petty religious intolerance and give Romney a win in Iowa, which would, in my view, make it extremely difficult for anyone to prevent him from marching forward to the nomination.

None of the current field has the capacity to do so, and I do not see how anyone jumping in this late, say after Iowa, could at that point overtake Romney.

A win in Iowa followed by a double play in NH would certainly make Romney tough to catch, even if he does fall short in SC.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 12:01:43 AM »

Are you out of your mind? You think 30-35% of this party identifies with Mitt Romney? Please get serious.

Uh...I've made my views on Romney very well known. I know the party doesn't like him. However, if forced to choose between him and the foaming-at-the-mouth nutcase, Romney wins. Easily.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 12:03:28 AM »

You think that only 10% of GOP primary voters would vote for Paul over Romney? Do you have data to back this up? Paul has the favorability numbers of Romney in most states, while I agree that after a long campaign that this would change but Paul isn't as hated as most of you would like to believe. The polling data simply doesn't back you up.

Paul could possibly get up to 20% thanks to protest voting but that's it. There's a reason why the man, who is fairly well known, doesn't poll above 10%. He has his hardcore followers and that's it.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 07:40:02 AM »

Paul could possibly get up to 20% thanks to protest voting but that's it. There's a reason why the man, who is fairly well known, doesn't poll above 10%. He has his hardcore followers and that's it.

I believe you're referring to a certain Pennsylvanian senator who hasn't actually seen his numbers rise, unlike a certain other Texan candidate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »

I know. It looks like we're going to end up with a  competent pragmatic Democrat versus competent pragmatic Republican, both with scandal-free personal lives. I can't imagine a less interesting election. Sad
I'd certainly disagree on that, but most of the scandals have already been found out and people have made judgements on it. Wink
Jasengle
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »

Mitt's going to cruise to the nomination
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies