Santorum surge about to happen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:03:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum surge about to happen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum surge about to happen?  (Read 1609 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:03 AM »

He's polling at 10% in Iowa now, tied with Bachmann and Perry for fourth. Paul is supposedly in the lead. Let's assume that that last point is, unfortunately, true.

I'm of the belief that the party simply won't allow a major victory for Paul. There is also apparently a fear that a Paul victory will delegitimize Iowa. Assuming Republicans in the state agree with both of those points, could the coalescing around Santorum begin in time? He does have the organization. He has put in the time in the state. Can he bring over enough people from the Newt and Perry (maybe even a few from Bachmann) camps?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:12:46 AM »

Maybe, but he'd flame out even quicker than Huckabee.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:14:39 AM »

I think the Iowa establishment is going to rally around Romney, and an upcoming Branstead endorsement will be a huge boost, but of the "three dwarves", Santorum is the only one who I think could win, similar to Huck in 08. He's running out of time, though.

Has Vander Plaats endorsed yet?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:15:15 AM »

Definitely not in time for the caucuses.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:16:18 AM »

He has not.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:17:44 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2011, 11:37:02 PM by Honest Abe »

I believe Santorum could get up to between 5 and 8% in Iowa.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:18:11 AM »

Without another debate I don't see it as possible. The only way he could surge would be to win Iowa because he has no money and no organization outside of the state besides a little in SC. He would be over a whole lot faster than Huckabee and he's been so far down in the polls no one has even looked at his record yet.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 12:33:19 AM »

Santorum still has the time to pull this off with the incredibly low polling numbers of Paul and Romney. He has the positive media coverage in Iowa, the endorsements and the organization. He will overperform in rural areas, I think. Even if he comes in second/third to Paul and Romney, that's all he needs to make it a race for the rest of the campaign.

Is a Paul vs. Romney vs. Santorum race in the works with Huntsman getting in the mix? That would be interesting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 01:13:46 AM »

Well, there is some Rickmentum. The Ricks are in a 3-way tie for 4th place.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 01:28:48 AM »

As I said in the other thread, PPP's poll indicates Romney would be the biggest beneficiary of declining poll numbers from Gingrich or Perry. But by next week that could be totally different, so who really knows. Anything's possible.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:26:34 AM »

No.  Santorum offers little different from Perry or Bachmann, with less pizazz.  He'd have to do something to get attention, and I don't see that happening.

Far more likely that the party settles on Romney or Huntsman, IMO.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:56 AM »

Title's kinda unfortunate when you know the alternate meaning of "santorum."
BigSkyBob

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:18:29 AM »

Both Newt and Mitt know Paul isn't going to go anywhere, even if he wins the Iowa caucus. Newt, if he is smart, and he is smart, will focus on doing better than Romney, and, likewise, Romney will realize his path to nomination is bettering Newt in Iowa. Bachmann will realize that her target voter is more likely in the Newt camp, and, Santorum will realize that his target voter isn't attracted to non-interventionism. Bachmann, Perry, and Santorum will all realize their path to victory is being the "Anyone but Newt, or Mitt [Ron who?]" candidate which will require them to savage each other down the stretch.

Paul could easily be given a pass in Iowa.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:52 AM »

Santorum has an alternate meaning?

Edit: Google says a former Senator had this last name. Is that what you mean? If so, that would be an unfortunate surge.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 03:51:02 AM »

He could be the Huckabee of 2012.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 07:35:27 AM »

Well, the only base he could have would be evangelicals, and he's a Catholic and thus is about as likely to get the evangelical vote like Huckabee did as I am of being crowned King of England.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 10:35:55 AM »

Well, the only base he could have would be evangelicals, and he's a Catholic and thus is about as likely to get the evangelical vote like Huckabee did as I am of being crowned King of England.

It's not 1960 anymore. Evangelicals might not like Catholics, but I highly doubt that'll be the main issue. I'm sure they like Catholics more than they like Mormons. And who look who the other candidates are: Romney (Mormon), Gingrich (Catholic), and Paul (crazy, though Baptist). Bachmann, Perry, and Cain got the first three tries as flavor of the month because they are Evangelicals, but those three have failed. I'm not saying Santorum is going to have a surge and while I agree that him being Catholic is a contributing factor, that's not really the reason.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »

He's polling at 10% in Iowa now, tied with Bachmann and Perry for fourth. Paul is supposedly in the lead. Let's assume that that last point is, unfortunately, true.

I'm of the belief that the party simply won't allow a major victory for Paul. There is also apparently a fear that a Paul victory will delegitimize Iowa. Assuming Republicans in the state agree with both of those points, could the coalescing around Santorum begin in time? He does have the organization. He has put in the time in the state. Can he bring over enough people from the Newt and Perry (maybe even a few from Bachmann) camps?

We know the GOP has screwed Dr. Paul out of delegates in the past (Washington 2008 primary). I wouldn't be suprised if they fudge the numbers to screw Ron Paul again.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »

It's not 1960 anymore. Evangelicals might not like Catholics, but I highly doubt that'll be the main issue. I'm sure they like Catholics more than they like Mormons. And who look who the other candidates are: Romney (Mormon), Gingrich (Catholic), and Paul (crazy, though Baptist). Bachmann, Perry, and Cain got the first three tries as flavor of the month because they are Evangelicals, but those three have failed. I'm not saying Santorum is going to have a surge and while I agree that him being Catholic is a contributing factor, that's not really the reason.

Depends on the evangelical in question. If they want a crazy bible beater they can go for Bachmann and if they just want another Christian they can work with than they could accept Paul. But I still don't see them going for a Catholic (or a Mormon, for that matter).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »

On his show yesterday...

"I love Rick Santorum. ... I know that if Rick Santorum were elected president, I wouldn't have one doubt any day what he would be fighting for, not one. And it would be great if he could get there." - Rush Limbaugh

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 06:37:54 PM »

I suppose that depends a lot on why Santorum's "unacceptable" numbers are so damn high -- Do people genuinely dislike him, or is the distaste based on a perception of nonviability that could change?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 12:37:30 AM »

Just prepare yourselves for the Ron Paul Revolution pulling off them upsets. If Rick would lay off the world policeman rhetoric he'd do a lot better. It's why I won't support him though part of me wants to. The same goes for Michelle Bachamann.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 12:40:48 AM »

Santorum has an alternate meaning?

Edit: Google says a former Senator had this last name. Is that what you mean? If so, that would be an unfortunate surge.

"The frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies