A Grand Old Whig (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:24:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Grand Old Whig (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should this continue?
Yes

No

Hell NO

I don't care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Grand Old Whig  (Read 7560 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:26 AM »

Cool! I've wanted to do a Whigs survive timeline, but have held off on it due to the fact I'm working on four timelines and that I'd have to do way too much research. Love to see where this goes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »

Were such things as a balanced budget & line item veto issues then? And would Fillmore really push for lower tarrifs? He was a Whig after all.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »

Haven't read all the new updates yet, but...
...William F. Buckley Sr. was born in like 1881. How can he be on any court just under thirty years before he's born?

Also, suggestion: don't just update with one date, compile them into larger updates with like ten different dates. That's how they're usually done.

And at last: I love how Winfield Scott gets appointed War Secretary. Here's hoping for a Civil War where he can be as nasty as he needs to be, though it looks like it may be averted ITTL.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »

Also, how does a President get away with just expanding the Supreme Court non-stop? I doubt that would fly and I'm not sure, but that seems like the kind of thing that would need a constitutional amendment.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »

According to wikipedia, it's John C. Buckley, though I have no idea if he has any legal experience whatsoever, and Bill Sr. was a Texas oilman.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

I recommend green for the Whigs. That's the color this site uses, and it shows up better with map shades and text.

Is there any uproar over Fillmore breaking Washington's tradition?

I'd hope for Buchanan to win, but he's out of the running apparently.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »

I recommend green for the Whigs. That's the color this site uses, and it shows up better with map shades and text.

Is there any uproar over Fillmore breaking Washington's tradition?

I'd hope for Buchanan to win, but he's out of the running apparently.

BTW why are these text boxes so annoying?  When I type more than a few lines it starts spazzing out scrolling up and down rapidly...

It ususally depends on what computer you're using or what your internet provider is. I'm not sure. For me it usually happens if I'm using the school computers.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »

...So Fillmore has taken the Whigs in a Conservative direction, as opposed to the more Progressive direction to normally be expected? After all, the Whigs were the party of the U.S. Bank, internal improvements, government programs, etc. I'm wondering how the Democrats respond ideologically. Will they go the opposite direction of Jackson and Jefferson and begin to support more government programs in order to be in opposition to the newer more Conservative Whigs? Or will the nation in general move to the Right and merely have a "Right-wing party" versus a "less right-wing party"?

Also, this was made before your most recent post. How does the old man Scott win nomination against someone like Lincoln?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

Don't be hatin' on the Adamses! Angry I contend that Adams was more Conservative than Jefferson, & I would have gladly supported John Quincy in 1824 ( not sure about 1828). I have a fondness for the gruff New England family, & have developed a resentment towards Jackson, not based on his policies, but the fact my history teacher loves him more than any man should. You got a beef with the Adamses?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

FYI if you want to refer to books on history, there's "America: The Last Best Hope" by Reagan Education Secretary William J. Benett. Two volumes, one is Revolution to WWI, the second is WWI to what I assume is the fall of the Soviet Union. It's basically a summarry history of everything & I've used it as a reference on one paper & am using it for another. From what I can tell, it's a good read.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies