Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 07:41:09 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Most moderate non-New England Senate Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Who is the most moderate non-New England Senate Republican?
Murkowski (AK)   -30 (65.2%)
Lugar (IN)   -3 (6.5%)
Grassley (IA)   -2 (4.3%)
Heller (NV)   -0 (0%)
McCain (AZ)   -1 (2.2%)
Kirk (IL)   -7 (15.2%)
other (please specify)   -3 (6.5%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Most moderate non-New England Senate Republican  (Read 1704 times)
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:00:18 pm »
Ignore

It does seem to be Murkowski.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:16:02 pm »
Ignore

I'll buck the trend and say Lugar, though Murky's a close second and Kirk's in third.

7.35, 3.65

ę Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par líaction.  Ľ - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:46:07 am »
Ignore

Murkowski, followed by Lugar and Kirk not necessarily in that order. The rest aren't 'moderate', they're just 'in more-or-less full possession of their mental faculties in some or many situations', which is much the same thing in the modern party.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:30:41 am »
Ignore

Murkowski. After her - Kirk and Lugar

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48. Like to collect bans on partisan sites (4-5 on DKE (+ SSP) and on RRH).
Reginald

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:53:00 am »
Ignore

Murkowski, and this last election seems to have increased the number of times she bucks the party line. And if that's because she wants to throw some occasional middle fingers to the Republican leadership, you can't blame her, really.

Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:26:22 pm »
Ignore

Murkowski, and this last election seems to have increased the number of times she bucks the party line. And if that's because she wants to throw some occasional middle fingers to the Republican leadership, you can't blame her, really.

Sure you can, she did a crappy enough job to lose in the primary.

Lol at those who think Barrow will lose.
Are they trying to fit in as many junk polls before Tuesday as possible?
Glorious news! even Quinnijunk can't get condom hater outside the margin of error, Udall is on track to deliver a good whipping[/q
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »
Ignore

Remove vote-the-district stuff and Murkowski's special situation, and the answer may well be Thad Cochran.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
Ignore

Lugar, but Lewis makes a good point about Cochran.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Reginald

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 05:22:30 pm »
Ignore

Fair enough; I should've said I personally can't really blame her. I know not everyone agrees with this, but to me, the results of the general quite justified her "sore loser" bid.

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 05:33:13 pm »
Ignore

Would you say the same about Mike Castle, out of curiosity?

~~~

Relative to his state's proclivities, Cochran is actually a definite possibility.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 06:06:47 pm »
Ignore

Rand Paul
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »
Ignore

~~~

Relative to his state's proclivities, Cochran is actually a definite possibility.

Castle was not an incumbent Senator.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:26 pm »
Ignore

~~~

Castle was not an incumbent Senator.

He was arguably the most prominent and certainly the most senior political figure in his state other than the incumbent Vice President of the United States. Castle and Murkowski lost their primaries in the same national political environment and in similar situations relative to expectations.

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
Ignore

It's worth noting that Castle, given his status as an At-Large Congressman, was in terms of statewide recognition and campaign staff the same as an incumbent Senator.  If anything, his seniority made him even better established than Murkowski; he was certainly more popular.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 08:35:21 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't think Murkowski losing her primary was evidence of incompetence on her part exactly (many things, but not incompetence per se) if Castle's wasn't.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 03:45:34 am »
Ignore

You guys are assuming voters do not understand there are differences between House and Senate races. I think the success of Tea Party candidates in House races compared to the success of Tea Party candidates in Senate races suggests otherwise.

Or, try this: do you think Castle would have lost a primary for his House seat if he had ran for reelection? I highly doubt that would have happened.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 05:07:02 am »
Ignore

Yeah, that's exactly why I don't think Murkowski losing her primary was evidence of incompetence on her part exactly (many things, but not incompetence per se) if Castle's wasn't.
It was, though (or maybe just not caring enough - it's a bit like he lost interest in the race once he understood he'd have to work for it). Probably more so than Murkowski's, who couldn't do anything about the albatross of her nepotist appointment as that's how most people first heard of her.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31:12 am »
Ignore

Or, try this: do you think Castle would have lost a primary for his House seat if he had ran for reelection? I highly doubt that would have happened.

I think it would have been less likely but I wouldn't really have been notably more surprised than I was in the Senate race.

It was, though (or maybe just not caring enough - it's a bit like he lost interest in the race once he understood he'd have to work for it). Probably more so than Murkowski's, who couldn't do anything about the albatross of her nepotist appointment as that's how most people first heard of her.

Come to think of it, the 2004 Senate race was closer than is/was considered usual for Alaska as well, wasn't it?

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 06:18:51 am »
Ignore

Come to think of it, the 2004 Senate race was closer than is/was considered usual for Alaska as well, wasn't it?
Of course. There's a reason the Dems ran Tony Knowles again - it was considered a possible pickup. Especially as daddy was going down in flames by then.

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39:44 am »
Ignore

Of course. There's a reason the Dems ran Tony Knowles again - it was considered a possible pickup. Especially as daddy was going down in flames by then.

I'm not certain I really want to know very much about Frank Murkowski considering that Sarah Palin was able to beat him in a primary.

Then again, one could easily say the same thing about Alaska in general.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:41:30 am by Nathan »Logged

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: 5.74

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:06:29 am »
Ignore

Murkowski.

Cochran skews to the left of his state, but he still votes with the Republicans on pretty much everything.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout