Hungary: A Weimar for the 21st Century?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:35:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungary: A Weimar for the 21st Century?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Hungary: A Weimar for the 21st Century?  (Read 16248 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »

Comparison to Weimar is incorrect. The comparison should be better to the earliest of the Hitler era, or, the founding of the Reich.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 09:05:08 PM »

Comparison to Weimar is incorrect. The comparison should be better to the earliest of the Hitler era, or, the founding of the Reich.

That's the comparison being made.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »

Even this is a false analogy. 

In Weimar, you had three party groups:

The Left:  SDP, Communists

The Center:  German People's Party (DVP), Centre (Z), and a few small parties.

The Right:  German National People's Party (DNVP), Nazis, a few small parties.

Until 1930, the main right wing party was the DNVP, but they never were in government.  All chancellors were either of the left or the center.  The Nazis were to the right of DNVP, and all other parties.

In 1930-32, both the Nazis and the Communists, extremes of both the right and left respectively, grew.  The Nazis displaced the DNVP as main right wing party in 1930.  Those differences are the key.

1,  In Hungary, the main right wing party, Fidesz, still there, and not in coalition with a righter wing party.

2.  There is no polarization.  The far left is not growing, and neither is the far right, Jobbik.

Had the DNVP gotten a majority (even in coalition) in 1930, you would have a similar analogy.

There is something going on, but it is not a repeat of Weimar.

I might liken it more to Spain under Franco, right wing authoritarian government.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 01:11:29 AM »

Until 1930, the main right wing party was the DNVP, but they never were in government.  All chancellors were either of the left or the center.  The Nazis were to the right of DNVP, and all other parties.

In 1930-32, both the Nazis and the Communists, extremes of both the right and left respectively, grew.  The Nazis displaced the DNVP as main right wing party in 1930.  Those differences are the key.

1,  In Hungary, the main right wing party, Fidesz, still there, and not in coalition with a righter wing party.

2.  There is no polarization.  The far left is not growing, and neither is the far right, Jobbik.

Had the DNVP gotten a majority (even in coalition) in 1930, you would have a similar analogy.

I might liken it more to Spain under Franco, right wing authoritarian government.
That would seem to be incorrect based on both the last election and the poll that was posted here.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 01:41:33 AM »

That would seem to be incorrect based on both the last election and the poll that was posted here.

What was posted indicated it hadn't.  I do see that Jobbik was a new party.  That said, its growth was substantially less than Fidesz.  There was also a center right party that dissolved prior to 2010; that could account for some of Fidesz's growth. 
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »

Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »

probably the world’s most beautiful parliament building,

Violence against Roma people or Jews isn't new in Eastern or Central Europe.

And we have seen lots of far-right wackos in that part of the world, remember Romania Mare or more Recently Attack! in Bulgaria.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »

Considering that they had no problems with Orban as Council President for the first half of this year, after he started doing a lot of this stuff, I doubt they care very much.

The EU guarantees peace, democracy and economic growth in Europe. Anything else is logically impossible.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »

Dear Lord. Does JJ get paid to be retarded?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »

No, I just look at the numbers before going to Reductio ad Hitlerum.  The left collapsed in Hungary.  It didn't in Weimar.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »

Repeating that over and over doesn't change the authoritarian nature of Hungary's government and the fact that they are actively making the country less democratic.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »

Repeating that over and over doesn't change the authoritarian nature of Hungary's government and the fact that they are actively making the country less democratic.

I agree, which is why I compared this to Franco's Spain, though that was a military victory.

What we are seeing is the left collapsing in Hungary.  Fidesz may be drifting the right or just might have become a "big tent" type party (Wiki suggests the latter might be true).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »

I agree, which is why I compared this to Franco's Spain, though that was a military victory.

Hence why it's a retarded comparison. Anyways, you clearly don't know sh**t about Franco's regime if you compare it to Orban. Orban is a stale authoritarian nationalist. Franco was a clerico-fascist.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »

Of course, JJ, Hungary isn't 1933 Germany and Orban isn't Hitler.[/obviousness]

The Weimar comparison means what it's supposed to mean. If you don't get it, I really don't know how to help you.
Foucaulf
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

Um, going back to the original post:

I think giving a party a constitution-amending majority signifies a bit more than a "turn". But it's all semantic quibbles at this point.

And we have seen lots of far-right wackos in that part of the world, remember Romania Mare or more Recently Attack! in Bulgaria.

To my limited knowledge, the rise of those parties is mostly a protest vote phenomenon. The establishment did not change their ways, and the protest vote dissipated eventually. In light of its incompetence, the Orban government is coercing the far-right. It's disturbing when the establishment is coaxing clueless Islamophobes, but Jobbik is straight out of the Interwar years.

There is also no need for Jobbik to moderate its obvious fascist undertones. Taking advantage of this political upheaval, the party has maintained its identity and is still rising in the polls!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »

Ugh.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Apart from the court-packing, all that sounds like the usual practice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

(inb4 the International Professional Condescension Committee calls me an idiot for this observation)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2011, 03:17:28 PM »

Hungary also has a unicameral Parliament with a supermajority involved and Constitutional Courts in Europe generally tend to have easier access than that, though.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »

I'm thinking that maybe the EU is too busy being bankrupt to deal with this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »

Of course, JJ, Hungary isn't 1933 Germany and Orban isn't Hitler.[/obviousness]

The Weimar comparison means what it's supposed to mean. If you don't get it, I really don't know how to help you.

Well, I think there might be better analogies, possibly even Horthy. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »

Are U.S. Mensa's standards of admission that low, or J.J. is just some extremely bored due on the internet?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2011, 05:51:12 PM »

Are U.S. Mensa's standards of admission that low, or J.J. is just some extremely bored due on the internet?

Don't confuse education with intelligence. They aren't necessarily entirely related.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »

Don't confuse education with intelligence. They aren't necessarily entirely related.

True.

At least, J.J. displays very poor judgement to engage in a discussion while not being properly educated on it's topic.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2011, 06:14:29 PM »

Bored. 

Sorry, but are any of you even vaguely familiar with Hungarian history between World War I and World War II?  You have a fairly good analogy there.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »

Please, enlighten me, at least, with regards to His and Horthy's Circumstances. I know the basics about the man--right-nationalist, Regent of a country lacking a royal family, background in the Austro-Hungarian navy, either betrayed or was betrayed by the Axis depending on who you ask--but not much more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies