Poll:Payroll tax end game outcome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:35:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll:Payroll tax end game outcome
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What's going to happen?
Both sides hold and tax expires

Dems give GOP minor face saving tweak(s) and pass the two month ex

Obama uses Omnibus shutdown threat and then GOP house folds

GOP house folds (without Obama Shutdown threat)

Dems fold, year extension

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Poll:Payroll tax end game outcome  (Read 1753 times)
qochimodo
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »
« edited: December 20, 2011, 11:55:44 AM by qochimodo »

I think those five scenarios cover it all pretty well.

On option three.... There are rumors on the internets Obama may threaten not to sign the Omnibus bill until he gets the payroll extended essentially telling the house GOP if they don't pass the senate compromise the government gets shut down.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »

Senate comes back and there's a compromise in conference committee.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »

I don't think the GOP will ever agree to a short term extension. They don't want a redux of this before the election, just as much as Harry Reid did not want a redux of raising the debt ceiling thing. So any compromise will have to appease the GOP on that one. And of course this won't really be paid for. It is just more smoke and mirrors. Real cuts are obviously far easier to talk about, than actually do. Who knew?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »

I agree there will be no two month extension, but I don't see how they can get a year long one before the end of the year, so the tax break will end.
qochimodo
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 05:49:04 AM »

I'm surprised so many people picked the expire option, I'm not saying I can't see it happening, but I mean how many times have we seen this brinkmanship since the GOP took over only for them to solve it at the last minute!?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 05:57:32 AM »

What sum are we talking about that would be saved annually if the tax reduction expires ?

Wouldn't that be good for the budget ?
qochimodo
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:02:50 AM »

What sum are we talking about that would be saved annually if the tax reduction expires ?

Wouldn't that be good for the budget ?

If the reductions expire it's going to economically kill millions of poor and middle class Americans. 2% is huge when you're living paycheck to paycheck.

But if the GOP won't fold the Dems need to let it, if the GOP wants to commit suicide let em.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »

Dems fold. Come on people, you know the drill by now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:40:34 AM »

Dems fold. Come on people, you know the drill by now.

I typically agree with this, but I think in this case I'll just agree with True Federalist.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »

I don't think the GOP will ever agree to a short term extension. They don't want a redux of this before the election, just as much as Harry Reid did not want a redux of raising the debt ceiling thing. So any compromise will have to appease the GOP on that one. And of course this won't really be paid for. It is just more smoke and mirrors. Real cuts are obviously far easier to talk about, than actually do. Who knew?

Just because the GOP was stupid enough not to have a debt ceiling "redux" this year doesn't mean the Democrats will reciprocate the favor.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »

In the charitable spirit of Christmas, I will say something nice about the Republicans.  There is no way they are stupid enough to not fold.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »

They'll expire. The GOP wants them to expire, so that's how it will go down. Elections have consequences.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »

I am not sure, but the optics of this look really terrible for the GOP.  The Senate hashes out a bipartisan compromise which passes by a 89-10 majority.  They leave town since there is no sign of trouble from the lower chamber.  Then, the House turns around and does some chickensh**t parliamentary maneuver where they refuse to vote on the measure.  Then they propose some sham committee (yeah, like that worked well the last time) to deal with the issue.  It looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing and the Tea Party has control.  Unemployment benefits and the payroll tax are very tangible issues for millions of Americans and they will vote accordingly.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:54 PM »

The Republicans get what they want.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »

Although at least this time it'll probably bite them in the ass. I don't really see what the GOP is trying to accomplish here besides simple knee-jerk opposition to everything Obama supports. But you'd think even they would put political expediency over that...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »

Although at least this time it'll probably bite them in the ass. I don't really see what the GOP is trying to accomplish here besides simple knee-jerk opposition to everything Obama supports. But you'd think even they would put political expediency over that...
The GOP doesn't care about political expediency. Their days are numbered anyway as the population browns. They're going for the full Ken Lay and taking all the money on the way out. They're the party of Enron.
Jackson
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »

Hopefully, reason prevails and both parties stop this irresponsible nonsense.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 02:20:53 AM »

I'm leaning towards option one happening
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »

Even Mitch McConnell is now begging the Tea Party House to please fold.  It'll happen in the next 24 hours.  An embarrassing botch for the GOP but caving is far better for them than driving into a brick wall.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »

Even Mitch McConnell is now begging the Tea Party House to please fold.  It'll happen in the next 24 hours.  An embarrassing botch for the GOP but caving is far better for them than driving into a brick wall.

Mitch McConnell folded long ago. He is among the last person a Teaparty supporter would turn to for leadership. When the Republicans win, when the Democrats fold and agree to a one-year extention, McConnell will have egg on his face.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:15 PM »

Mitch McConnell folded long ago. He is among the last person a Teaparty supporter would turn to for leadership. When the Republicans win, when the Democrats fold and agree to a one-year extention, McConnell will have egg on his face.
We'll see about that.  Mostly I just quoted your post so you can't go back and delete it if you turn out to be wrong (which in this case, is likely)
BigSkyBob

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »

Well, you might, also, want to save this one: if they do fold Obama probably will be reelected, the Democrats probably will retain the Senate and probably retake the House. Given the stakes, their only viable option is to hold out. Since they know that fact, I am projecting that they will.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »

I don't have an opinion as to what will happen, but as far as my congressman's concerned, he better hope things come out ok...as the video of him being stuck holding the gavel in a bad situation is certainly going to be shown on my tv this fall.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2011, 04:43:40 PM by Grumps »

From Yahoo news headline:

Breaking News:Aides: House GOP to accept short-term payroll tax cut measure

The whole article if you need it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:51 PM »

From Yahoo news headline:

Breaking News:Aides: House GOP to accept short-term payroll tax cut measure

The whole article if you need it.

The GOP had already "won" this stupid fight (no tax increase on "the rich," and forcing Obama to "choose" between unions and greens on that pipeline), but the thought of having to do this again before the election was just too much for them in the House, but in the end, that is a hard position to really sell - something entirely political.

The Dems kind of did the same on the debt ceiling increase thing, but there, one could at least argue, that if was not increased, the world would end as we know it. One can't make that argument very effectively over the half life of an irresponsible payroll tax cut, that the Pubs out of the other side of their mouth admit and sometimes claim, is very small beer indeed vis a vis the health of the economy - which is the premise of extending this cut. It wasn't, and isn't, being sold as some sort of welfare program for everyone earning $110,000 or less.

Torie in Congress would have voted "no" throughout on this issue -  and taken the heat! 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies