If Thomas Jefferson ran today, would Democrats vote for him?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:42:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  If Thomas Jefferson ran today, would Democrats vote for him?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Jefferson ran today, would the Dems support him?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: If Thomas Jefferson ran today, would Democrats vote for him?  (Read 2409 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2004, 09:17:22 PM »

Since some people objected to my other topic about it being stupid for Democrats to claim they're the party of Thomas Jefferson, how many Democrats do you know that would vote for Thomas Jefferson if he ran for president today?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 09:20:34 PM »

The "Party of Thomas Jefferson" was founded by conservatives that wanted more states rights. He would be a registered Republican today...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 09:22:05 PM »

I think that pretty well every American would vote for Thomas Jefferson purely because he's Thomas Jefferson.

If they were voting on policy, however, I neither know nor really care.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 10:54:12 PM »

I agree with Gabu.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 01:43:46 PM »

Philisophically, no. If he ran under a different alias, he would not receive many Dem votes. However, as Gabu points out he'd get a lot purely on historical name recognition.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 02:01:43 PM »

Jefferson was a man of contradictions.  He was said to be shy around women but carried on several infamous affairs.  He believed firmly in the equality of all men but owned slaves and wrote some very terrible things about Native Americans.  He was, when convenient, a religious man but he wrote "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" which removed any and all divinity from Christ.

The truth is that almost no one who was President prior to the 1950s could get elected to the office today.  Heck, George Washington yearly spent the equivalent of $70,000 on booze.  Now THAT is a serious drinking habit.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »

Philisophically, no. If he ran under a different alias, he would not receive many Dem votes. However, as Gabu points out he'd get a lot purely on historical name recognition.

What if there is someone called Thomas Jefferson out there? What if he ran? Kinda like in that movie with Eddie Murphy where he has the same name of a congressman that dies and runs for office and everyone votes for him?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 04:37:03 PM »

Jefferson was a man of contradictions.  He was said to be shy around women but carried on several infamous affairs.  He believed firmly in the equality of all men but owned slaves and wrote some very terrible things about Native Americans.  He was, when convenient, a religious man but he wrote "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" which removed any and all divinity from Christ.

The truth is that almost no one who was President prior to the 1950s could get elected to the office today.  Heck, George Washington yearly spent the equivalent of $70,000 on booze.  Now THAT is a serious drinking habit.

Not really. Coolidge was a very popular man you know?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 07:13:43 PM »

Thomas Jefferson announcing his candidacy:

My fellow Americans.  I am announcing that I, Thomas Jefferson, am running to be the next President of these United States.  My candidacy is based on the fact that I am Thomas ing Jefferson.  Who are you going to vote for against me?  John Kerry?  John ing Kerry?  Let's compare what the two of us have written.

John Kerry wrote a book about that silly foreign entanglement of yours in Vietnam.   Made a bunch of people lie abut what they had done and some other silly sh**t. 

I wrote the Declaration of Independence.  You hear that?  The ing Declaration of ing Independence.  Inalienable rights?  Me.  Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?  Me.

Who else you got?  George Bush?  That "W" ain't for Washington.  I wrote some of the most important documents of all time.  He reads "My Pet Goat" to kids.  Probably has trouble with the long words too.

Ralph Nader?  Let's get real people.  If I want my seatbelt improved I'll give Ralphie a call.

Cobb?  Next.

Badnarik?  He probably questions the constitutionality  of the Lousiana Purchase.

Peroutka?  All of this guys friends died in the las ttwo months or some sh**t.  You want to vote for him?  We'll probably all be struck down with the plague.

So, inconclusion, I call on all of you to vote for me, Thomas ing Jefferson.

And I want the "ing" put on the ballot.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 07:48:59 PM »

Jefferson was a man of contradictions.  He was said to be shy around women but carried on several infamous affairs.

What "affairs" do you speak of? If you are talking about sally hemmings their is no evidence of that.

And Jefferson loved freedom, so obviously Democrats would not vote for him.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 02:39:34 PM »

Jefferson was a man of contradictions.  He was said to be shy around women but carried on several infamous affairs.

What "affairs" do you speak of? If you are talking about sally hemmings their is no evidence of that.

And Jefferson loved freedom, so obviously Democrats would not vote for him.

Ummm ... DNA evidence recently proved that the Hemmings children ARE in fact also related to Jefferson.  So it was either Thomas or his son.  Also there were Jefferson's affairs with Maria Cosway and Betsey Walker.  I don't hold any of this against him.  I'm just saying that times were very different back then and that what was acceptable then may not be acceptable today.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 06:12:02 PM »

Actually, they only tied one of Hemings' children to a member of the Jefferson family, and it seems most likely it was the President's brother Randolph (or Randall? Can't remember.) who was very socialble with Jefferson's slaves.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 08:05:40 PM »

Actually, they only tied one of Hemings' children to a member of the Jefferson family, and it seems most likely it was the President's brother Randolph (or Randall? Can't remember.) who was very socialble with Jefferson's slaves.

Wakie. Mr Hobbes is correct on this. As a matter of fact Thomas' brothers diary makes mention of Sally Hemmings on several occassions.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2005, 08:07:25 PM »

My fellow Americans.  I am announcing that I, Thomas Jefferson, am running to be the next President of these United States.  My candidacy is based on the fact that I am Thomas g Jefferson.  Who are you going to vote for against me?  John Kerry?  John g Kerry?  Let's compare what the two of us have written.

John Kerry wrote a book about that silly foreign entanglement of yours in Vietnam.   Made a bunch of people lie abut what they had done and some other silly sh**t. 

I wrote the Declaration of Independence.  You hear that?  The g Declaration of g Independence.  Inalienable rights?  Me.  Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?  Me.

Who else you got?  George Bush?  That "W" ain't for Washington.  I wrote some of the most important documents of all time.  He reads "My Pet Goat" to kids.  Probably has trouble with the long words too.

Ralph Nader?  Let's get real people.  If I want my seatbelt improved I'll give Ralphie a call.

Cobb?  Next.

Badnarik?  He probably questions the constitutionality  of the Lousiana Purchase.

Peroutka?  All of this guys friends died in the las ttwo months or some sh**t.  You want to vote for him?  We'll probably all be struck down with the plague.

So, inconclusion, I call on all of you to vote for me, Thomas g Jefferson.

And I want the "g" put on the ballot.

LOL

Very good, very good.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2005, 08:17:40 PM »

My fellow Americans.  I am announcing that I, Thomas Jefferson, am running to be the next President of these United States.  My candidacy is based on the fact that I am Thomas g Jefferson.  Who are you going to vote for against me?  John Kerry?  John g Kerry?  Let's compare what the two of us have written.

I wrote the Declaration of Independence.  You hear that?  The g Declaration of g Independence.  Inalienable rights?  Me.  Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?  Me.

Cobb?  Next.

So, inconclusion, I call on all of you to vote for me, Thomas g Jefferson.

And I want the "g" put on the ballot.

Hah, I would pay to see that. Wink
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2005, 02:21:20 AM »

Honestly, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me if there was an affair between Jefferson and Hemmings.  But the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation (which owns Monticello and are the official caretakers of the guy's name) acknowledged that Jefferson was the likely father.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1069625
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2005, 03:14:58 PM »

Honestly, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me if there was an affair between Jefferson and Hemmings.  But the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation (which owns Monticello and are the official caretakers of the guy's name) acknowledged that Jefferson was the likely father.

Only because they were forced to "acknowledge" that by the NAACP and other such hate groups. I know people who know that family and they still vehemently disagree with the DNA "facts".
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2005, 03:33:35 PM »

No, Democrats don't vote for libertarians.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

Only because they were forced to "acknowledge" that by the NAACP and other such hate groups. I know people who know that family and they still vehemently disagree with the DNA "facts".

I don't think any living members of the Jefferson family were alive when Tommy J or his children were alive so it really doesn't mean crap what they want to say.  The evidence is strong enough for an official acknowledgement.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »

I don't think any living members of the Jefferson family were alive when Tommy J or his children were alive so it really doesn't mean crap what they want to say.  The evidence is strong enough for an official acknowledgement.

As I said earlier Jeffersons brothers diary acknowledged Sally Hemmings. I think the diary is more reliable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 10:25:23 PM »

Would the Republicans vote for an opium smoker?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2005, 01:14:18 AM »

Well, jFRAUD what are you referring to?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 01:29:06 AM »

Well, jFRAUD what are you referring to?

His estate only got rid of his opium poppies a few years ago. Search for it yourself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies