The Delegate Fight: 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:03:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Delegate Fight: 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: The Delegate Fight: 2012  (Read 77895 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »

Are the Iowa delegates at risk as well?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »

Washington, Iowa, Colorado, and Maine are the main states where Romney is likely to do worse than media estimates, and he could lose 50+ delegates between all of those.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2012, 08:01:02 PM »

Plus it's very likely that Florida will be made proportional, which means Romney loses another 25 delegates from the current estimates. (Possibly Arizona as well)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »

Plus it's very likely that Florida will be made proportional, which means Romney loses another 25 delegates from the current estimates. (Possibly Arizona as well)

No, that will never happen, unless the non-Mittens get a majority without having done that, in which event it will be moot.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »

No, that will never happen, unless the non-Mittens get a majority without having done that, in which event it will be moot.
Are you sure?  What would it take for the Santorum people to mount a credentials challenge of Florida at the convention?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »

Are you sure?  What would it take for the Santorum people to mount a credentials challenge of Florida at the convention?

A majority, including one of the contested delegations.  If Santorum challenges FL, AZ gets to vote on it.  If Santorum challenges AZ, FL gets to vote on it. 
BigSkyBob

« Reply #281 on: March 20, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »

A majority, including one of the contested delegations.  If Santorum challenges FL, AZ gets to vote on it.  If Santorum challenges AZ, FL gets to vote on it. 

If Romney is short of 1144, it won't matter. After both challenges, he will be well short of 1144.

What you are describing is an act of a banana republic.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #282 on: March 20, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »

I'm sure Romney really wants to build his delegate majority on illegal delegations. That'll go over real well with Santorum/Gingrich/Paul supporters.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #283 on: March 20, 2012, 11:55:07 AM »

I thought this would be of interest:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2017792794_paul_supporters_sweep_two_seat.html

Paul's supporters may manage to take a huge bite out of Romney's projected delegate totals in Washington. The fact that they took all the delegates from two legislative district in King county is especially telling: he lost the county by over 20%.

Any ideas on how this will shake out at the state convention? (besides likely chaos as party operatives seek to avoid a Paul victory)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #284 on: March 20, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2017792794_paul_supporters_sweep_two_seat.html

Paul's supporters may manage to take a huge bite out of Romney's projected delegate totals in Washington. The fact that they took all the delegates from two legislative district in King county is especially telling: he lost the county by over 20%.

Any ideas on how this will shake out at the state convention? (besides likely chaos as party operatives seek to avoid a Paul victory)

Paul may end up dominating a Seattle-area CD and pick up some delegates as a result.

Statewide---it makes the scenario I originally outlined (Romney camp dominating the State Convention and taking 34 out of 40 delegates) less likely, so the Santorum camp should be pleased at the news. 

It doesn't sound that Paul had the same sort of success everywhere, so I assume that the anti-Paul forces will still have a majority in most places at the State Convention.  I expect that resisting the Paulistas will prove more important that the Romney-Santorum fight, so an appropriately-divided Romney-Santorum slate is rather likely.  The 122 'superdelegates' at the State Convention would presumably also help out the anti-Paul forces as well.

If I can accumulate more solid data as to the results of the LD/County caucuses, I'll update my projection.  They run through to April 21, though, so don't hold your breath.

The State Convention ends June 2.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »

If Romney is short of 1144, it won't matter. After both challenges, he will be well short of 1144.

What I am describing is found p. 616, ll. 20-30 of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (2011).  That is the rule.  He will need only to have a majority, minus the largest delegation.

For example, if there is a challenge to the FL delegation, Romney will only needs 1119 votes to have them seated.

BTW:  This is how Eisenhower got the nomination on the first ballot in 1952, IIRC.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »

Paul may end up dominating a Seattle-area CD and pick up some delegates as a result.

Statewide---it makes the scenario I originally outlined (Romney camp dominating the State Convention and taking 34 out of 40 delegates) less likely, so the Santorum camp should be pleased at the news. 

It doesn't sound that Paul had the same sort of success everywhere, so I assume that the anti-Paul forces will still have a majority in most places at the State Convention.  I expect that resisting the Paulistas will prove more important that the Romney-Santorum fight, so an appropriately-divided Romney-Santorum slate is rather likely.  The 122 'superdelegates' at the State Convention would presumably also help out the anti-Paul forces as well.

If I can accumulate more solid data as to the results of the LD/County caucuses, I'll update my projection.  They run through to April 21, though, so don't hold your breath.

I believe they are both part of the 7th CD which basically contains Seattle proper. Personally I see Paul racking up delegates in Eastern Washington plus the urban cores (Seattle, Bellingham, Vancouver). At the very least it should provide some fun entertainment.
Matthew
Rookie

« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »

Santorum Loses Wyoming Delegate to Romney  by: Oreo
Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 15:37:06 PM EDT

Mitt Romney's supporters in Wyoming have successfully challenged a delegate to the party's national convention that had been awarded to rival Rick Santorum — showing the lengths the campaigns are willing to go to fight over a single delegate.
State GOP Chairwoman Tammy Hooper said Tuesday the delegate is now awarded to Romney. - US News

http://www.democraticconventionwatch.com/diary/5239/santorum-loses-wyoming-delegate-to-romney
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »

Santorum Loses Wyoming Delegate to Romney  by: Oreo
Tue Mar 20, 2012 at 15:37:06 PM EDT

Mitt Romney's supporters in Wyoming have successfully challenged a delegate to the party's national convention that had been awarded to rival Rick Santorum — showing the lengths the campaigns are willing to go to fight over a single delegate.
State GOP Chairwoman Tammy Hooper said Tuesday the delegate is now awarded to Romney. - US News

http://www.democraticconventionwatch.com/diary/5239/santorum-loses-wyoming-delegate-to-romney

Thanks for the heads up!  I'd had the delegate in the "Uncommitted" column pending resolution of the dispute.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »

What I am describing is found p. 616, ll. 20-30 of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (2011).  That is the rule.  He will need only to have a majority, minus the largest delegation.

For example, if there is a challenge to the FL delegation, Romney will only needs 1119 votes to have them seated.

BTW:  This is how Eisenhower got the nomination on the first ballot in 1952, IIRC.

Um, he will need 1169 since that counts the 50 delegates from Florida who won't be able to vote to seat themselves.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »

I think a lot of Torie's numbers are premature until we get more concrete information from the caucus state conventions. Romney is likely to lose a fair number of delegates from the current estimates.

Santorum is just as open to Ron Paul stealing his soft delegates. Missouri, Minnesota are two states that Santorum could lose as many if not more then Romney.

Does help Romney to 1144.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »

Since the number 1 priority of the candidates other than Romney is to assure Romney does reach 1144 [1169 before the challenges to Florida and Arizona] the rational act for all Santorum, Gingrich and Paul supporters is to apportion all caucus states delegates amongst themselves. If would suicidal for Santorum to throw in with Romney in Washington.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »

firennice
United States

« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »

Interesting chart.
There are four winner take all states  left(counting DC), that are truly winner take all.  and Romney is expected to win them all.  DC, Deleware, New Jersey, Utah. 123 delegates (according to the greenpapers) that receive the most votes. 

That would mean he would need 40% of the remaining delegates (461).  Is that doable with what is left?  I guess it depends a lot on how Texas, and California Split up when they get there. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »

Um, he will need 1169 since that counts the 50 delegates from Florida who won't be able to vote to seat themselves.

No, those fifty won't be counted in the majority. 

2286 total, with 50 from FL (according to RCP).  Subtract FL, 2236 total.  One half of that, 1118.  Majority in whole numbers 1119.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: March 21, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »

Yes, that's right JJ, but BSB's point, is that if the 50 Florida Mittens delegates cannot vote, Mittens will need 1169 delegates in his corner, to get to 1119 without his 50 Florida delegates voting. Are you sure the Robert's Rules or Order apply here?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #296 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »

Yes, that's right JJ, but BSB's point, is that if the 50 Florida Mittens delegates cannot vote, Mittens will need 1169 delegates in his corner, to get to 1119 without his 50 Florida delegates voting. Are you sure the Robert's Rules or Order apply here?

It lowers the majority needed to adopt.  As long as Romney gets to 1119, without FL. he has it.  The majority, according to RCP, is 1,144, with FL.  If FL is challenged, the majority drops to 1,119, without FL.  He'd need 1,169 only if you do count FL.  Or, Romney needs 1,119 without FL.

I know that Robert's Rules Newly Revised, current edition is their parliamentary authority, but the convention is covered by US House Rules, .  I checked and it is in their own rules, (Rule 23).  Only one delegation may be challenged at one time.

Further, if FL would be challenged, it would be up to the state chair to appoint the delegates.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: March 21, 2012, 02:36:11 PM »

It lowers the majority needed to adopt.  As long as Romney gets to 1119, without FL. he has it.  The majority, according to RCP, is 1,144, with FL.  If FL is challenged, the majority drops to 1,119, without FL.  He'd need 1,169 only if you do count FL.  Or, Romney needs 1,119 without FL.

I know that Robert's Rules Newly Revised, current edition is their parliamentary authority, but the convention is covered by US House Rules, .  I checked and it is in their own rules, (Rule 23).  Only one delegation may be challenged at one time.

Further, if FL would be challenged, it would be up to the state chair to appoint the delegates.

JJ, if Mittens does not have 1169 delegates with the Florida delegation, and it can't vote on its own challenge, then Mittens does not have 1119 votes to defeat the challenge on his own. The issue is if the Florida delegation can vote on its own challenge. When you say that if Florida were challenged, it is up to the state chair to appoint the delegates, do you mean that if the challenge is successful, the chairman can appoint anyone he wants? Or does he need to appoint delegates proportionally?

It might be helpful to put up the actual text. What language are you relying upon for your opinion?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
firennice
United States

« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »

Another thought.  If the greenpapers are right all states are to complete their delegate selection by June 23, however in Utah are primary is June 26th.  Another challenge? Penalty?
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2012, 02:58:16 PM by Erc »

EDIT: Torie beat me to the punch with a huge post, but maybe this will be of help as well.

The following appears to be the full contest procedure.  Throughout, RNC = Republican National Committee, and "state" includes the territories.

July 23:  All delegates and alternates must be selected by this date.

July 28:  The RNC secretary must receive the credentials of every delegate and alternates by this date, and their names are placed on the Temporary Roll.

If a state selects more delegates than it is entitled to (I'm looking at you, New Hampshire), they are automatically deemed under contest.

Any other contests must be filed with the RNC secretary by this date.  Only contests regarding delegates selected at-Large may be presented, unless the contest is due to the irregular or unlawful action of the State Committee or State Convention.

Any contested delegate does not have voting rights at the convention (or any of its committees) until the contest is permanently resolved by the vote of the convention of a whole, with one exception (see August 13, below).

The RNC secretary also receives the names of delegates elected to the Convention Committee on Credentials by this date.  The Committee on Credentials (which does not convene until the Convention itself) consists of one man and one woman from each state.

August 5:  Parties involved in contests must submit statements to the Committee on Contests by this date.  The Committee on Contests "promptly" hears the matter and prepares a statement stating the points of issue in the contest and their recommendation for its resolution, which is delivered to the RNC and the involved parties.  The involved parties have eight days to file written objections to this statement.

August 13 (or later):  The RNC votes on the resolution of contests.  The RNC may choose to restore convention voting rights to a contested delegate on the Temporary Roll at this time, except no delegate may vote on matters involving his own credentials.

August 27:  Appeals of RNC rulings on contests must be filed with the RNC secretary by this date. The Committee on Credentials hears these appeals, and submits its report to the Convention as a whole.  The Committee on Credentials may choose to restore convention voting rights to a contested delegate on the Temporary Roll at this time, except no delegate may vote on matters involving his own credentials.

The report of the Committee on Credentials is the first matter voted on by the convention as a whole.  Amendments to this report may be proposed, but no amendment may concern the credentials of delegates from more than one state.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies