Holden vs. Santorum (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:48:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Holden vs. Santorum (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for Holden (D) vs. Santorum (R)?
D-Holden

D-Santorum

R-Holden

R-Santorum

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Holden vs. Santorum  (Read 23102 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 31, 2004, 08:49:04 PM »

I'd vote Holden.

I think he'd have a chance but would do less well in the Philly 'burbs than a liberal pro-choice Democrat.

Klink failed in 2000, so the PA Dems might be wise to nominate a more socially liberal candidate.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 01:03:47 AM »

I'd vote Holden.

I think he'd have a chance but would do less well in the Philly 'burbs than a liberal pro-choice Democrat.

Klink failed in 2000, so the PA Dems might be wise to nominate a more socially liberal candidate.

Exactly, follow this advice PA Dems. NClib knows all

Klink lost because he didn't win socially liberal, economically conservative voters in the Philly suburbs. If nominating a socially conservative candidate didn't work in 2000, why would it work in 2006?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 04:05:29 PM »

Klink lost because he didn't win socially liberal, economically conservative voters in the Philly suburbs. If nominating a socially conservative candidate didn't work in 2000, why would it work in 2006?

And Hoeffel lost because he was nuked in Western and North East PA.

Do you have a map of that race?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 08:14:15 PM »

CNN has a map:  http://us.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/PA/S/01/index.html
My remark was mostly hyperbole: Hoeffel did pretty badly everywhere. He won a grand total of four counties... although he did win 71% in Philly.

CNN's maps are hard to tell the slightly Democratic counties from the slightly Republican ones. Hoeffel won Philly, Allegheny, and where else?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »

You also have to remember that Santorum defeated an exceptionally liberal candidate, Harris Wofford, in 1994.

1994 is not a good year to use as an example since it was so strongly GOP.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 10:12:32 PM »

You also have to remember that Santorum defeated an exceptionally liberal candidate, Harris Wofford, in 1994.

1994 is not a good year to use as an example since it was so strongly GOP.

Well, we don't have too many to go by.  Wofford, in terms of geography and ideology is the closest to Hoffel.  And Wofford was an incumbent, associated with national issues that were big in 1992 (Health Care).  Santorum was not a major figgure at the time.  

Santorum has a lot of appeal to the median PA voter.

Where was Wofford from?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies