The Americans Elect thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:24:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Americans Elect thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Americans Elect thread  (Read 9658 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »

I nominated Bill Gates
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

I always wondered what it would be like if Bill Gates or Steve Jobs pulled a Perot.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »

Looks like the founders have figured out this is going bust and are trying to recoup their losses: http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/americans-elect-is-raising-money-to-repay-its-mill

The biggest issue - and the one I've long suspected would be the downfall here - is that no one actually wants this nomination with the exception of Buddy Roemer. In fact, it looks like he may end up being the only one who qualifies for their online primary (and even he's a maybe at this point - he needs 10,000 online supporters and only has 1,200 so far).
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:07 PM »

I have been wondering, what do they do if no one qualifies, according to their own rules- which appears likely to happen.  I assume they will just change the rules- they need to put someone on the ticket, after all.  Looks like this is going to be Ron Paul, if he'll take it, and failing that, Buddy Roemer.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »

I have been wondering, what do they do if no one qualifies, according to their own rules- which appears likely to happen.  I assume they will just change the rules- they need to put someone on the ticket, after all.  Looks like this is going to be Ron Paul, if he'll take it, and failing that, Buddy Roemer.
If he does not take it, I see his supporters giving the nomination to Johnson. Could help his Libertarian bid out, but he would need a Democratic running mate.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »

This thing is still going? lol.

The organiser must be disappointed they didn't get their Michael Bloomberg/Colin Powell ticket.
skoods
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »

Isn't it time that we put someone who is an expert in economics in the Oval Office?

Laurence Kotlikoff, one of the sharpest economic minds in the world, is currently in third in the race for the Americans Elect nomination. Haven't we had enough of career politicians ruining Washington and putting our economy in the red?

Even if you plan on voting Republican or Democrat in November, it doesn't hurt to sign up for Americans Elect and take a look at the potential candidates. Professor Kotlikoff could use your help. America...could use your help. If you have a chance, see for yourself why Larry Kotlikoff is the right choice for the Americans Elect nomination.

Not just another career politican looking for a job; Professor Kotlikoff is an expert in the most critical issue this nation faces today, the economy.

http://www.kotlikoff2012.org/ - Kotlikoff's campaign website.
http://www.thepurpleplans.org/ - "The Purple Plan" to fix America.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_07/b4166042289206.htm - How Larry Kotlikoff would fix the financial system.
http://www.americanselect.org/profile-candidate/365903/topic-answer - Kotlikoff's Americans Elect profile
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »

lol
skoods
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:32 PM »

I'm sorry. But, I don't see how an economist running for President is any more funny than an etch-a-sketch taking control of the political process.

Sorry if I don't share your laughter at the direction America is moving.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »

"Americans Elect" is a farce which tragically seems to be going a little further than Unity '08 (Bloomberg-Powell for America!!!!1) in that they might have a nominal candidate on the ballot in a couple of states, even though the "centrist" millionaires who founded it are apparently getting cold feet now that Olympia Snowe and Harold Ford Jr. or whoever aren't going to run.

I can only imagine that an "Americans Elect" ticket would run on a platform consisting of so many platitudes it would make Mitt Romney look like a straight-talking ideas man.

Ugh.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »

Isn't it time that we put someone who is an expert in economics in the Oval Office?  

Yes, and that's why Mitt's running.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

He seems like a pretty well-spoken and reasoned progressive candidate to me. Not quite my cup of tea, but better than the vast majority of third party types.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLLO...
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2012, 11:31:13 PM by Cheezy Fritz »

Since other threads are popping up on this subject, I thought I should dig this one back up.  This is *THE* Americans Elect thread.   Smiley

So, here's where we are:  Candidates with a similar level of experience as past Presidents (i.e. Congress, Governor, Mayor of large city) need 1,000 supporters in each of 10 different states. All other candidates need 5,000 supporters in each of 10 different states.  Listed below are the total number of supporters the top candidates have.

Top Draft Candidates
Ron Paul (6514)
John Huntsman (2380)
Bernie Sanders (1692)
Barack Obama (1398)
Mike Bloomberg (926)
Gary Johnson (726)

Top Declared Candidates
Buddy Roemer (2101)
Rocky Anderson (865)
Laurence Kotlikoff (596)
Michaelene Risley (544)
TJ O'Hara (176)
Michael Ballantine (106)

Those are total numbers.  To qualify, you need 1000 or 5000 in each of 10 states.  I cannot understand what Americans Elect is thinking.  The sheer numbers of people needed to satisfy these requirements are not visiting the site and signing up to support candidates.  Ron Paul's best state is California with 631 supporters.  Buddy Roemer has 208 in California.

AE recently amended the calendar to allow candidates more time to qualify.  Under the current rules, I believe candidates have until mid-May too meet the qualification requirements.  I think its safe to say that no one who needs to will meet the 5000-in-10-states requirement (this would apply to the bottom four listed above).  Even 1000 in 10 states seems a stretch; I'm betting that AE will be forced to lower this requirement.
skoods
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 12:16:48 AM »

He seems like a pretty well-spoken and reasoned progressive candidate to me. Not quite my cup of tea, but better than the vast majority of third party types.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLLO...

He's a great guy. I'm currently working on his campaign and doing all I can to get support for him. I just feel like it would be a "farce" (as the gentleman above put it) for an Americans Elect candidate to be a run of the mill politician like Roemer (who has run for office six times and tried for numerous Presidential nominations this time around).

Americans Elect is supposed to be about the people getting a say rather than the media and the establishment. That's why I'm working my ass off, at least.
skoods
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 12:22:33 AM »

Laurence Kotlikoff, professor of Economics at Boston University, is currently third in the running for declared candidates.

"Larry" is a Penn and Harvard grad, a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a Fellow of the Econometric Society, a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, President of Economic Security Planning, Inc., a company specializing in financial planning software, a columnist for Bloomberg.com, a contributor to Forbes.com, and a blogger for The Economist and HuffingtonPost.

Professor Kotlikoff has served as a consultant to the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Harvard Institute for International Development, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the Swedish Ministry of Finance, the Norwegian Ministry of Finance, the Bank of Italy, the Bank of Japan, the Bank of England, Her Majesty's Treasury, the Government of Russia, the Government of Ukraine, the Government of Bolivia, the Government of Bulgaria, the Treasury of New Zealand, the Office of Management and Budget, the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Labor, the Joint Committee on Taxation, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, The American Council of Life Insurance, Merrill Lynch, Fidelity Investments, AT&T, AON Corp., Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA, and other major U.S. corporations.

He has provided expert testimony on numerous occasions to committees of Congress including the Senate Finance Committee, the House Ways and Means Committee, and the Joint Economic Committee.

Isn't it time that we let an expert in economics take the White House? Isn't it time that we stopped allowing the media to push candidates onto us?

http://www.kotlikoff2012.org/
http://www.thepurpleplans.org/
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_07/b4166042289206.htm
http://www.americanselect.org/profile-candidate/365903/topic-answer
skoods
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »

Mitt Romney ran a company. Whether you think what that company did was just or not, I challenge you to put those economic credentials up against these...

Kotlikoff is a Penn and Harvard grad, a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, a Fellow of the Econometric Society, a Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research, President of Economic Security Planning, Inc., a company specializing in financial planning software, a columnist for Bloomberg.com, a contributor to Forbes.com, and a blogger for The Economist and HuffingtonPost.

Professor Kotlikoff has served as a consultant to the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Harvard Institute for International Development, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the Swedish Ministry of Finance, the Norwegian Ministry of Finance, the Bank of Italy, the Bank of Japan, the Bank of England, Her Majesty's Treasury, the Government of Russia, the Government of Ukraine, the Government of Bolivia, the Government of Bulgaria, the Treasury of New Zealand, the Office of Management and Budget, the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Labor, the Joint Committee on Taxation, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, The American Council of Life Insurance, Merrill Lynch, Fidelity Investments, AT&T, AON Corp., Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA, and other major U.S. corporations.

He has provided expert testimony on numerous occasions to committees of Congress including the Senate Finance Committee, the House Ways and Means Committee, and the Joint Economic Committee.

Seriously, I'm not telling you that you can't support Mitt Romney or whomever you like...but shunning other candidates is against the democratic process and just makes those who do so look foolish.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »

You really think your guy can get 5000 supports in 10 different states?  Hate to rain on your parade, but you have less than 2 months, and you are not even at 1% of what you need.

If you're really serious, you guys should pick the 10 states to focus on.  Massachussetts looks good, you're up to 75 there.....
skoods
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »

You really think your guy can get 5000 supports in 10 different states?  Hate to rain on your parade, but you have less than 2 months, and you are not even at 1% of what you need.

If you're really serious, you guys should pick the 10 states to focus on.  Massachussetts looks good, you're up to 75 there.....

Not even Roemer is going to get the requirements that AE set out to reach. As you said in the other thread, they will have to adjust that or something is up that no one is aware of.

I'm standing up for what I believe in...someone I believe in. Whether or not we will reach the goals that AE wants us to remains to be seen. But, I'll keep standing up for what I believe in regardless of vote totals.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »

haha, the perfect candidate if they're wanting to stay under 0.10%.
skoods
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2012, 02:29:09 AM »

You're probably right. In today's America, it's all about winning. Not about putting the best person in office. That's why George Bush was nominated and won...that's why Barack Obama was nominated and won...and that's why the GOP is nominating Mitt Romney.

It's all about electability...but no one cares about the four years afterwards. Which is why constantly have a President that 50% of the nation despises.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »

Are you copy-pasting press releases?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »

You're probably right. In today's America, it's all about winning. Not about putting the best person in office. That's why George Bush was nominated and won...that's why Barack Obama was nominated and won...and that's why the GOP is nominating Mitt Romney.

It's all about electability...but no one cares about the four years afterwards. Which is why constantly have a President that 50% of the nation despises.
You have "GObama" in your signature...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »

I dont agree much with Kotlikoff, but I suppose he is a decent running mate for Roemer.  If AE wants to make a mark, then they should nominate Gary Johnson for President and Kucinich for VP. Otherwise, they are not going anywhere.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Roemer/Anderson would be kind of sweet. Still wouldn't break 1% though.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »

Breaking News- Caucus Schedule Updated

http://www.americanselect.org/news/5-2012/caucus-schedule-updated

"According to our rules, since fewer than seven candidates have received enough support to qualify for the AE nomination, the first caucus scheduled for May 8th will now take place on May 15th."

Fewer than 7, they say?  Not a single candidate is even close to the bare minimum requirement of 1000 support clicks in 10 different states.  Ron Paul is up to 8647 (best state: California, 897), while Buddy Roemer leads the declared candidates with 4304 (best state: California, 435).

I'll keep updating this thread as news develops.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies