Will Obamacare cause 19-25 year old voters to skew even more Democratic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:39:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Obamacare cause 19-25 year old voters to skew even more Democratic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Obamacare cause 19-25 year old voters to skew even more Democratic?  (Read 1227 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:36:36 AM »

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/12/14/389000/new-data-obamacare-extends-health-coverage-to-25-million-young-adults/

Using unpublished quarterly statistics from the government’s ongoing National Health Interview Survey, analysts in Sebelius’ policy office determined that nearly 36 percent of those age 19-25 were uninsured in the third calendar quarter of 2010, before the law’s provision took effect. That translates to more than 10.5 million people.

By the second calendar quarter of 2011, the proportion of uninsured young adults had dropped to a little over 27 percent, or about 8 million people. The difference — nearly 2.5 million getting coverage — can only be the result of the health care law, administration officials said, because the number covered by public programs like Medicaid went down slightly. Overall, nearly 30 million Americans are between the ages of 19 to 25. For those who are little older, ages 26-35, the uninsured rate went up during the same period. “From September 2010 to June 2011, coverage rose only among those adults affect by the policy,” said the HHS report.

Last year my health care coverage was going to end on my 25th birthday, in November 2010. But because of Obamacare, I had health care for another year. Many friends around my age noticed around the same time that they were now covered by their parent's health insurance.

If myself, many of my friends, and 2.5 million other Americans ages 19-25 have been given health care coverage solely as a result of the Obamacare law, why on Earth would we vote for a candidate or political party that would advocate its repeal?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

More likely to help Obama with parents of 19-25 year olds. And well before Obama, I had my dad's insurance until age 22 because I was in school. Youngs don't vote much and when they do, healthcare isn't a high priority. Still at that age when they feel invulnerable.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »

This implies 19-25 year olds, much less any American, is good at making the connection between a government provision and it being provided by the government.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 03:09:26 AM »

I doubt they could possibly get much more Democratic than they were in 2008. They'll probably return to the norm we saw in 2004 or so.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »

I doubt they could possibly get much more Democratic than they were in 2008. They'll probably return to the norm we saw in 2004 or so.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=143189.0
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:55:47 AM »

You think youngs are getting whiter? Good luck with that.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 04:41:27 PM »

It will be somewhere in between 2008 and 2004 thanks to the demographic explosion of Latinos in the 19-25 age group.
RBH

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

Wouldn't the end of the Iraq War cause some movement amongst voters as well?

Then again, it should be noted a drop in turnout will cause some skewing as well
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/12/14/389000/new-data-obamacare-extends-health-coverage-to-25-million-young-adults/

Using unpublished quarterly statistics from the government’s ongoing National Health Interview Survey, analysts in Sebelius’ policy office determined that nearly 36 percent of those age 19-25 were uninsured in the third calendar quarter of 2010, before the law’s provision took effect. That translates to more than 10.5 million people.

By the second calendar quarter of 2011, the proportion of uninsured young adults had dropped to a little over 27 percent, or about 8 million people. The difference — nearly 2.5 million getting coverage — can only be the result of the health care law, administration officials said, because the number covered by public programs like Medicaid went down slightly. Overall, nearly 30 million Americans are between the ages of 19 to 25. For those who are little older, ages 26-35, the uninsured rate went up during the same period. “From September 2010 to June 2011, coverage rose only among those adults affect by the policy,” said the HHS report.

Last year my health care coverage was going to end on my 25th birthday, in November 2010. But because of Obamacare, I had health care for another year. Many friends around my age noticed around the same time that they were now covered by their parent's health insurance.

If myself, many of my friends, and 2.5 million other Americans ages 19-25 have been given health care coverage solely as a result of the Obamacare law, why on Earth would we vote for a candidate or political party that would advocate its repeal?

Presumably those 2.5 million Americans, or at least some of them, would like to become productive and successful members of society by gaining well compensated employment which provides health care coverage.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »

I think they're about as maxed out as you'll see for the demographic as a whole, but for newer voters, it may push them toward the Democratic side.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies