Tender Branson's Iowa Prediction Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Tender Branson's Iowa Prediction Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tender Branson's Iowa Prediction Thread  (Read 11815 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »

Romney will likely win, in the sense that either 1st or 2nd place will exceed expectations and position him well going into his New Hampshire victory.

I ~~suspect~~ the Ron Paul is under polling, given that he has the most intense supporters.

Santorum might surprise - I don't think he will beat Romney, but I would not be shocked if he did....
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »

I ~~suspect~~ the Ron Paul is under polling, given that he has the most intense supporters.

Care to elaborate? It seems to me that Paul should be overpolling, since so much of his support comes from non-Republicans.

Firstly, let me say that anybody trying to poll a caucus state is very brave indeed.  These things are really hard to poll.

But just as a rough guide, in 2008 about 1.6 million Iowans voted in the presidential election, and GOP turnout in the IOWA caucuses was about 120,000.

So as a very approximate baseline, turnout in the GOP caucus was abut 7.5% of the total presidential voting population., and if we assume the GOP and Dems are fairly evenly divided in Iowa (they are) GOP turnout for the caucus would be +/- 15% or so. (this is a very crude estimate)

The closely watched Register poll was based upon a 25% turnout (about 602 out of a bit over 2500 in the sample) - and I think 25% is a bit high as a turnout projection.

Romney's support is a bit squishy, Paul's people are fanatical.

I think Paul does a bit better than the polls suggest, Romney a bit worse..

But hey, it's a caucus, there is lots of egg on people's faces the day after....

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies