Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:50:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements  (Read 23238 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
« edited: January 26, 2012, 12:09:41 PM by MilesC56 »

The story.

He said Thursday that he did not want to run against fellow Rep. David Price (D-N.C.).

"I told David within a week of the election last year that with the Republicans in control of redistricting, we would almost certainly be drawn into the same district. And to be honest, since David has broadly hinted to me and others that he would only serve one more term, I believed that he would retire a term earlier than he intended in the circumstances. That obviously has not happened. David has made it very clear that he intends to run again," he said in a statement released to supporters. "I had two choices: run in a primary with David, or not seek another term."

"I do not have an agreement with David to step aside now and run in two years when he retires, as has been widely rumored, nor have I tried to strike any deal," he said. "The reality is that if I sat out a term and returned to Congress, I would be starting over for most purposes. I would have no assurance of my committee assignments and even if I won assignment to the same committees, I would lose all seniority. Just as important, the debate on the issues that I care about, and on which I am now a leader, would move on. No, I could not simply pick up where I left off."
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »

Wow. Am I the only one who cares about Brad Miller!?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2012, 11:20:15 PM »

Wow. Am I the only one who cares about Brad Miller!?

No, we just all knew he was done.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »

And he was a nondescript hack anyway, so it's not as though you'd notice his electoral passing.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Despite a ton of chatter to the contrary, Howard Coble is running again.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:22 AM »

IN-5: Dan Burton bows out.

http://nationaljournal.com/congress/facing-tough-primary-veteran-rep-burton-bows-out-20120131
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

R+1!!!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »

R+15. This is one of the most conservative districts in the midwest.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »

One of the most unintentionally hilarious posts in awhile.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »

It's not ment to be funny.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »

You see, R+1, in this context, is referring to a Republican pickup. px75 is suggesting that the retirement of librul, RINO, might as well be a Democrat Dan Burton provides the perfect opportunity for a real Republican to take the seat. While 10 years ago, I would think that such a comment could only be considered sarcastic, today I'm not so sure.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »

He didn't even get the PVI right, IN-05 is only about 53-47 McCain now.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »

You see, R+1, in this context, is referring to a Republican pickup. px75 is suggesting that the retirement of librul, RINO, might as well be a Democrat Dan Burton provides the perfect opportunity for a real Republican to take the seat. While 10 years ago, I would think that such a comment could only be considered sarcastic, today I'm not so sure.
It was sarcastic.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2012, 11:25:01 AM »

Are you aware what "unintentionally" means?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

Just saw it on Politico and the NC 2012 thread but figured I'd post it here, too, for those that don't read the other sources.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »

Just saw it on Politico and the NC 2012 thread but figured I'd post it here, too, for those that don't read the other sources.

Good riddance.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

Good riddance.

Our House majority was built on the Heath Shulers and Gene Taylors. Our party would do well to remember that.

Love him or hate him, the fact is that we're one more seat short of re-taking the House.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »

Good riddance.

Our House majority was built on the Heath Shulers and Gene Taylors. Our party would do well to remember that.

Love him or hate him, the fact is that we're one more seat short of re-taking the House.

I agree. Blue Dogs may not be the best, but they are still better than any generic Southern Republican.

Ideological purity will lead the party to one thing only: a permanent minority.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »

Let's just hope that his predecessor doesn't try to take the seat back.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »

It wasn't his conservative voting record that made Shuler so unlikable among liberals. As Ed Kilgore puts it:

Personally, I’ve never been a big fan of intra-party litmus tests or the various “framing” theories that suggest Democrats would win a decisive majority if we spoke without a single discordant voice. The only unimpeachable authorities on who is a “true Democrat” in the 11th congressional district of North Carolina—or anywhere else—are the Democratic voters of that area. And no, I don’t think it can be confidently assumed, these days at least, that a Republican replacement could not do worse.

But Shuler, like Joe Lieberman in the Senate (though for somewhat different reasons) is probably the exception who proves the rule. With the sole exception of his vote for Obama’s climate change legislation, Shuler broke with his party and its president on just about everything that mattered since 2008. He even voted for the abominable “Cut, Cap and Balance” resolution that if implemented would inevitably lead to the destruction of every progressive accomplishment since the 1930s. While that’s still not grounds for being expelled from the Caucus, it sure would justify, if I were in charge, denying him any perks and privileges associated with Caucus membership, up to and including men’s room keys in the Cannon Building. If that sounds petty, too bad; after all, a guy like Shuler would probably use these insults to burnish his reputation as someone who’ll stand up to the godless liberals.

greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »

It wasn't his conservative voting record that made Shuler so unlikable among liberals. As Ed Kilgore puts it:

Personally, I’ve never been a big fan of intra-party litmus tests or the various “framing” theories that suggest Democrats would win a decisive majority if we spoke without a single discordant voice. The only unimpeachable authorities on who is a “true Democrat” in the 11th congressional district of North Carolina—or anywhere else—are the Democratic voters of that area. And no, I don’t think it can be confidently assumed, these days at least, that a Republican replacement could not do worse.

But Shuler, like Joe Lieberman in the Senate (though for somewhat different reasons) is probably the exception who proves the rule. With the sole exception of his vote for Obama’s climate change legislation, Shuler broke with his party and its president on just about everything that mattered since 2008. He even voted for the abominable “Cut, Cap and Balance” resolution that if implemented would inevitably lead to the destruction of every progressive accomplishment since the 1930s. While that’s still not grounds for being expelled from the Caucus, it sure would justify, if I were in charge, denying him any perks and privileges associated with Caucus membership, up to and including men’s room keys in the Cannon Building. If that sounds petty, too bad; after all, a guy like Shuler would probably use these insults to burnish his reputation as someone who’ll stand up to the godless liberals.

He wasn't the only one voting for that: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll606.xml

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/172441-five-blue-dogs-join-gop-in-vote-for-cut-cap-and-balance-bill

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2012, 09:15:07 PM »

Good riddance.

Shuler's one thing, but Gene Taylor voted for John McCain.  I know we need moderates, but really, what is a congressional majority if we have more Gene Taylors?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »

Good riddance.

Shuler's one thing, but Gene Taylor voted for John McCain.  I know we need moderates, but really, what is a congressional majority if we have more Gene Taylors?

Taylor voted with the House Republican leadership 31% of the time....Palazzo votes with them 95% of the time.

That should say it all.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »

Gene Taylor was an anachronism of the type we are very unlikely to see in more than a few districts in a few unusual circumstances.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »

Good riddance.

You want to be in permanent minority for next 20-30 years, but preserve your "pure progressive views"? Fine, you will get your wish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies