Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:27:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements  (Read 23233 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »

I think Scott Kleeb could make this interesting... in 2006, he lost by 10 points in the most conservative district in Nebraska (which I think is R+24 or something like that)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Kleeb

Kleeb is a handsome nobody who has a lot of political experience when it comes to losing elections.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »

Same way Republicans won't be winning Hawaii next year, this really is not a seat for Democrats to win next year. Situations like this happen on both sides, it's just how it goes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2011, 11:46:03 AM by brittain33 »

I don't think people have a problem with Nelson's conservatism per se (you don't see them grumbling about Pryor or Landrieu) but rather his eagerness to screw his party at every chance he got. And his retirement is another one of them.
If he really cared about the Democrats retaining the Senate then the least he could do would be to dissuade them from spending 1 million dollars in ads propping him up while he was considering retirement.

I didn't particularly dislike Nelson and he would be preferable to any successor. Of course a Dem senator from Nebraska has a different role to play and he gets a lot of leeway. What was galling was his many unforced errors. He seemed to pick the wrong battles with the national Dems when the right strategy would have been just to keep his mouth shut on them or to pick other battles where he could prove his independence in line with what his conservative voters wanted and not be so blatant about supporting a few donors.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »

I don't think people have a problem with Nelson's conservatism per se (you don't see them grumbling about Pryor or Landrieu) but rather his eagerness to screw his party at every chance he got. And his retirement is another one of them.

Nonsense. Nelson can run again and lose, but DSCC would have to waste money on this race that can be used by other Democrats that actually need it. Whatever his motives are, Nelson did actually a good thing for the party by retiring.

Evan Bayh was the one fitting this description.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

Nonsense. Nelson can run again and lose, but DSCC would have to waste money on this race that can be used by other Democrats that actually need it. Whatever his motives are, Nelson did actually a good thing for the party by retiring.

The DSCC didn't spend a million dollars on Bayh.
But I won't disagree with you that Bayh was a bigger jerk than Nelson.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »

The DSCC didn't spend a million dollars on Bayh.

Bayh didn't need millions to keep his seat. Nelson would need a lot of money to even try and, still, that would be a longshot.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »

I think Scott Kleeb could make this interesting... in 2006, he lost by 10 points in the most conservative district in Nebraska (which I think is R+24 or something like that)...

Oh right isn't that the same guy who did worse than Obama did statewide in 2008??

Yeah, he would be extremely competitive in 2012!
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »

Oh right isn't that the same guy who did worse than Obama did statewide in 2008??

Yeah, he would be extremely competitive in 2012!

Against a popular governor, yes.

I'm not saying Kleeb will win, only that he could make the race somewhat interesting, not that he'll win. But Bruning is facing some ethical investigations and Stenberg has lost many elections, too, so I don't think dems should give up in Nebraska. Hey, republicans can still nominate someone like Santorum or Paul, which would help democrats everywhere.

RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »

My candidate would be Ernie Chambers...He'd bring at least national media to Nebraska...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »

My candidate would be Ernie Chambers...He'd bring at least national media to Nebraska...

Ernie's not a Democrat. He's independent.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »

Good -he won't be missed.  I am done with DINOs like him. 

A "DINO" that votes with the party 50% of the time is better than the Republican replacement that votes with us 10% of the time. We need Blue Dogs. They moderate Congress and enable us to pass legislation. The reason the current Republican House is so far-right is because we bled moderates and replaced them with far-right conservatives.

Damn party purity. I want effective government.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »

This seat is now a Republican pickup, but it probably was anyway.  If we are concerned with saving centrist Democrats, Tester and McCaskill are more important in my view.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »

This seat is now a Republican pickup, but it probably was anyway.  If we are concerned with saving centrist Democrats, Tester and McCaskill are more important in my view.

Um... since when Nelson was a "centrist" in first place.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »

What about Wareen Buffett?? ahahaha

Oh, and if democrats don't want to try to make this close... I think the best candidate is Ernie Chambers, too. He's funny Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »

What about Wareen Buffett?? ahahaha

Oh, and if democrats don't want to try to make this close... I think the best candidate is Ernie Chambers, too. He's funny Smiley

Ernie is an extremely rare example of someone who never goes higher than state legislator, yet maintained nationwide presence.

Oh, Ernie ran for Senator in 1988... on the Natural Law ballot.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »

This seat was inevitably going to switch hands.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

Ernie ran on New Alliance ticket, but this doesn't matters. Ernie can run as Independent and he can get a 2nd place, if Democrats place a nobody guy.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »

Um... since when Nelson was a "centrist" in first place.

http://nationaljournal.com/magazine/house-and-senate-centrists-20110224?page=1
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »

Wikipedia says he ran for governor once and got 0.44% of the vote. Does anyone know WHEN that happened??
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »

Against Nelson in 1994. In that Republican year, he won amazing 73.03%. Now, one of most unbelievable results in history was Nelson's defeat against Hagel, in 1996, even in a Republican state. It's very sad that a state who gave us the liberal icon (even if a Republican) George Norris is now a safe hard-right land.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »

Dammit Ben Nelson. So the stupid Nebraska earmarks to Obamacare and all the shallow Moderate Heroism over the past several years was entirely meaningless?

Kleeb is probably the best Democratic candidate now, although that's not really saying much at all.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »

Not suprising, but still very much disappointing
Nichlemn

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »

Ugh, freeing up money is not a good argument since it applies to both sides. That is, unless you think Democrats would be prone to stupidly overspend on Nelson, in which case why do you assume they wouldn't stupidly spend the money that was freed up?

It's one of those nonsensical "silver lining" arguments people come up with to comfort themselves. Hey, why don't the Democrats just try to lose every seat, since then they won't have any incumbents to waste resources on!11!1
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 11:53:48 PM »

I think that Democrats should hold Kleeb's bullet for 2014's gubernatorial election. He can get senatorial spot later. If Johanns be a 3-term, he'll be only 51 at 2026, that's a good age.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2012, 01:01:40 AM »

I don't know if he is interested, but I think the strongest Democratic candidate would be State Senator Steve Lathrop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lathrop).  He has been elected twice in a strongly Republican west Omaha district.  I have not heard his name mentioned as a possible contender.  He is term limited and cannot seek reelection to the Unicameral in 2014.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies