Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 10:53:06 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements  (Read 9408 times)
Mr.Phips
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:45 pm »
Ignore

Just saw it on Politico and the NC 2012 thread but figured I'd post it here, too, for those that don't read the other sources.

Good riddance.

You want to be in permanent minority for next 20-30 years, but preserve your "pure progressive views"? Fine, you will get your wish.

Im wondering if Republicans will beat the Democrats' near 62 year run of the House from 1932 to 1994.  Republicans have controlled the House for 14 of the last 18 years and if they hold the House for the rest of the decade it will be 24 out of 28 years. 
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »
Ignore

Shut up.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
P
View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:11 am »
Ignore

Just saw it on Politico and the NC 2012 thread but figured I'd post it here, too, for those that don't read the other sources.

Good riddance.

You want to be in permanent minority for next 20-30 years, but preserve your "pure progressive views"? Fine, you will get your wish.

Im wondering if Republicans will beat the Democrats' near 62 year run of the House from 1932 to 1994.  Republicans have controlled the House for 14 of the last 18 years and if they hold the House for the rest of the decade it will be 24 out of 28 years. 

Surely - no. With Republican party "going right" with even greater speed then Democrats "go left" - no chance at all.

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »
Ignore

I don't think it's right to say that conservatives outnumber liberals just because of what some polls say.  Democrats are more prone to call themselves moderate for the sake of saying they're moderate, so that takes many points away from the liberals.  The country really doesn't skew one way or another, in fact; it's pretty dead-center, when you look at the history of our elections.  I just feel that ideology has more meaning to it than party labels.  If you don't have a party that can fill out its promises, then you don't actually have real power or influence.  I respect the right of people in Taylor's district to elect who best represents them, but I'd personally view Taylor as more of a centrist/moderate Republican on the major issues.

For the record, I don't object to moderation in politics.  I'm moderate on certain issues, myself.  But you can only distance yourself from your party so much until you identify more with the opposite party, if that makes sense.

1. Conservatives outnumber liberals.  And by much. It's not "some polls", it's consistent polling year after year, so this is a scientific fact..

2. For me ideology isn't important at all. It's because of "ideological demands" that i refuse to be member of any party consistently. The only one thing that matters to me - you either want to win elections, or you don't. If you do - as written by  someone above - i would gladly take House with 230 Democrats  (of which 70 would be DINOs) and 205 Republicans (or vice versa with DINOs substituted on RINOs) over permanent Democratic caucus with 180 out 180 being "pure progressives" (or vice versa for Republicans with "bona-fide conservatives" substituted). Then - what will be will be. If you equate Democratic party with "liberal party" and Republican with "conservative party" - fine, but i am neither liberal, nor conservative. So - then i don't have place in any and must look for 3rd party to reflect my interests...

3. Remind me - which party were Larry McDonald, John Rarick and Bob Stump (initially)? And, on the other side - Jacob Javits, Clifford Case, Ogden Reid (initially) and Charles Whalen. And US was better governed then then now. BTW - the best American President (IMHO) - Franklin Roosevelt - worked very amicably with many conservative Democrats in his own party as well as with many Republicans as well. And got the results that was realistic. And what was unrealistic in his time (can you imagine DADT THEN? or even major Civil Rights laws?) was delayed until it became possible. He didn't conducted a "scorched earth" politics ("i am a boss - you are a fool, you are a boss - i am a fool") politics, which now is a trademark of BOTH political parties - Democrats as well as Republicans. If Obamacare is ahead of time - it must wait, if not - it will be accepted by majority not only of Democratic activists, but - majority of population.

4. I think - vast majority of people in Taylor's district will sharply disagree with you and call him "slightly liberal (for local tastes) Democrat". After all - he was defeated not for being "too conservative", but vice versa. And many who voted for Palazzo were Democrats))))

Uh, no.  It's not as simple as asking a bunch of people which box they can categorically be placed into.  To determine which direction the country leans overall, you'd have to closely look at electoral trends of the country, various polls on specific issues, demographics, statistics, etc.  Pretty much like what we do on this board.  This country has no left or right lean to it and is very much at the center.  And in case you haven't been paying attention, social conservatism is on a steady decline right now.  You definitely can't make that argument with any credibility.

If you don't understand the significance of ideology in politics, then I don't think you understand politics at all.  In order to have a political party with any credibility or influence at all, you need a set of ideology-based demands.  You need something to bring to the table.  If you constantly agree with your opponent on everything, then you don't have any political capital or legitimacy.  So if the Democratic Party focuses all its resources on people like Gene Taylor for "bipartisanship", then our supposed majority would be just as useless for us as a Republican majority and the Democrats wouldn't make the reforms they said they would... just like with health care.

Back in FDR's time, both parties were very moderate and the issues of the day were different than now.  Today's Democrats running the show have compromised over everything.  I fail to see how we're guilty for the brokenness in Washington.

Well, of course many Democrats voted for Palazzo.  This is Mississippi, after all.  Most Democrats in that district are actually very conservative Republicans on both social and economic issues.  Progressives didn't even turn out to vote in 2010.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:53:04 pm by Northeast Speaker Scott »Logged
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
P
View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2012, 02:26:12 am »
Ignore

Well, Mr. Scott, i understand politics. Probably - much better then you are. I study it for 40 years (since i was a high school student in Moscow) I clearly understand importance of ideology in parliamentary democracy of European style, where there are 4-6 parties, and where the government is frequently coalitional. But i don't understand (and don't intend to) usage of similar criteria in a country ,where there are only 2 big political parties. It's too few for them to be strictly ideological(what gradually happens during last quarter century and reached unthincable level recently), and clever political leaders of Roosevelt-Kennedy time understood it quite well. They also understood (contrary to you) that politics is "an art of compromise", and  not (as i mentioned above) misuse of "i am a boss - you are a fool, you are a boss - i am a fool" approach. Contrary to present leaders and many extreme "activists", who became to dominate BOTH political parties approximately since Reagan. It seems that it's you, who doesn't want to understandsuch simple statements, so my offer is to agree to disagree and ignore each other in the future. We will not come to any agreement  on BASIC principles, so - what for? Be in permanent minority with your "pristine party" if you want, you will only help Republicans with that, and they will gladly accept such your help. And leave all, who is not "pure" (it doesn't matter whether they are populist on economy and social conservatives or fiscal conservatives and social liberals) alone. You don't want to adapt to them and accept them? You will pay for that by forfeiting majority and power.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:19:00 am by smoltchanov »Logged

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2012, 04:33:15 pm »
Ignore

My Congresswoman, Sue Myrick, is retiring.

Good riddance!

Myrick was part of the class of 1994; as such, she took one of Gingrich's pledges to only serve 7 terms. Of course, she broke that pledge by running in 2008.

Obviously, no chance of a Democratic pickup.

Numbers:

- Even though this district swung 20 points to Obama in 2008 (he lost here 54-45 compared to Kerry's 64-35), the average for local Republicans is almost 60%.

- Kay Hagan also overperformed here; she got 46% and held Dole to only 50%.

- And of course, the bottom fell out for Perdue, as she only got 32% against McCrory.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:20:02 pm by MilesC56 »Logged

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:01 pm »
Ignore

Some possible replacements for Myrick:

- State Sen. Bob Rucho. My Senator Sad. The mastermind behind the so-called "fair and legal" Republican redistricting maps. He Chaired the Senate redistricting Committee and drew the maps; much like Brad Miller did 10 years ago. He lives in Matthews. From what I've seen, he has a good relationship with Myrick.

- State Rep. Ruth Samuleson. My representative Sad . Her district includes the more affluent parts of south-central Mecklenburg county.

- House Speaker Thom Tillis. Lives in northern Mecklenburg county. Still I'm not sure he'd want to run for Congress; with the Republicans having likely control of the Assembly for the next decade, his position as Speaker should be pretty secure. I've heard rumors that he plans to run against Hagan in 2014.

- John Lassiter. He was on the Charlotte city council and ran against Anthony Foxx for Charlotte mayor in 2009, losing by 3,000 votes. Haven't heard much from him since.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
Ignore

Well, Mr. Scott, i understand politics. Probably - much better then you are. I study it for 40 years (since i was a high school student in Moscow) I clearly understand importance of ideology in parliamentary democracy of European style, where there are 4-6 parties, and where the government is frequently coalitional. But i don't understand (and don't intend to) usage of similar criteria in a country ,where there are only 2 big political parties. It's too few for them to be strictly ideological(what gradually happens during last quarter century and reached unthincable level recently), and clever political leaders of Roosevelt-Kennedy time understood it quite well. They also understood (contrary to you) that politics is "an art of compromise", and  not (as i mentioned above) misuse of "i am a boss - you are a fool, you are a boss - i am a fool" approach. Contrary to present leaders and many extreme "activists", who became to dominate BOTH political parties approximately since Reagan. It seems that it's you, who doesn't want to understandsuch simple statements, so my offer is to agree to disagree and ignore each other in the future. We will not come to any agreement  on BASIC principles, so - what for? Be in permanent minority with your "pristine party" if you want, you will only help Republicans with that, and they will gladly accept such your help. And leave all, who is not "pure" (it doesn't matter whether they are populist on economy and social conservatives or fiscal conservatives and social liberals) alone. You don't want to adapt to them and accept them? You will pay for that by forfeiting majority and power.

For the love of God.  I don't oppose compromise or bipartisanship, I oppose turning back on what you promised to your constituents for the mere gesture of bipartisanship, especially when you're dealing with another party that doesn't want to concede anything themselves.  But if you want to end this discussion and shun each other, then that's fine by me.
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2012, 08:20:58 pm »
Ignore

Scott and smoltchanov...this is turning into a thread hijack. Please take it elsewhere. I think you both have a good understanding of politics.

smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
P
View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2012, 10:41:33 pm »
Ignore

For the love of God.  I don't oppose compromise or bipartisanship, I oppose turning back on what you promised to your constituents for the mere gesture of bipartisanship, especially when you're dealing with another party that doesn't want to concede anything themselves.  But if you want to end this discussion and shun each other, then that's fine by me.

As  correctly stated by Miles - we deviated from original theme. I simply don't see the need to continue - for me the most important thing is to win the election, and, because the elections are conducted by district, you simply MUST run a candidate that suits the district (liberal in SF, conservative in rural Louisiana for example) in order to maximize your chances. All ideological criteria are secondary and much less important to me. That's obviously not so for you. So - there is no purpose to continue. Let's conclude with that and let's not (again using Miles's words) "highjack" the theme)))
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:51:31 am by smoltchanov »Logged

Joe Republic
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2012, 12:21:44 am »

In honor of Sue Myrick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SrAe21fi_4c

Real America demands to know.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:18 am »
Ignore

Some possible replacements for Myrick:

- State Sen. Bob Rucho. My Senator Sad. The mastermind behind the so-called "fair and legal" Republican redistricting maps. He Chaired the Senate redistricting Committee and drew the maps; much like Brad Miller did 10 years ago. He lives in Matthews. From what I've seen, he has a good relationship with Myrick.
That sounds like the fix was in from the start.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2012, 12:53:01 am »
Ignore

Myrick is retiring? Interesting.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:45 am »
Ignore

Dreier is retiring.

Not surprising, considering what happened to his district.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:24:16 am by MilesC56 »Logged

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:47 pm »
Ignore

Dreier is retiring.

Not surprising, considering what happened to his district.
Overdue announcement. No shocker to anybody.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
Ignore

Someone missed a prime opportunity for a little double entendre there. So I'll do it.

David Dreier is out.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:15 am »
Ignore

Normative Penises bow out, according to a mispost in the Snowe thread.

I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2012, 12:01:15 am »
Ignore

My Congresswoman, Sue Myrick, is retiring.

Good riddance!

Myrick was part of the class of 1994; as such, she took one of Gingrich's pledges to only serve 7 terms. Of course, she broke that pledge by running in 2008.

Obviously, no chance of a Democratic pickup.

Numbers:

- Even though this district swung 20 points to Obama in 2008 (he lost here 54-45 compared to Kerry's 64-35), the average for local Republicans is almost 60%.

- Kay Hagan also overperformed here; she got 46% and held Dole to only 50%.

- And of course, the bottom fell out for Perdue, as she only got 32% against McCrory.

How did I miss this, and the Shuler retirement?  Two of my congresspeople won't be in office next year Cry

Landslide Lyndon
px75
YaBB God
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -5.22

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2012, 07:11:33 pm »
Ignore

Gary Ackerman retires.

http://www.cityandstateny.com/ackerman-seek-re-election-either/

Bob Findley: "You're a real dyed-in-the-wool son-of-a-bitch. Anyone ever told you that?"
Steve Everett: "Just close friends and family,"

Clint Eastwood's "True Crime", 1999.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:22 pm »
Ignore

Unexpected.

Expected a long long time ago before the wiener pics, though.

Invisible Obama
DrScholl
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:11 pm »
Ignore

Tim Johnson drops out in IL-13. http://capitolfax.com/2012/04/04/this-just-in-tim-johnson-to-drop-out/
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2012, 06:13:31 pm »
Ignore

Local party committees get to pick a new candidate (though it seems top Republicans are trying to dissuade Johnson). Could it be Bill Brady? I think he lives in this district.

I apologize for being so adamantly right.
I'm JewCon in name only.
Klecly
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 6.52

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »
Ignore

Scandal? or just decided to retire?

JohnnyLongtorso
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08:02 pm »
Ignore

He's a backbencher's backbencher, so boring and nondescript that I can't imagine he would have any kind of scandal going on.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2012, 08:18:56 pm »
Ignore

Remember that the primary has already passed here.  Tim Johnson already won it, which likely means he'll get to essentially appoint his successor.

Furthermore, this district is pretty marginal.  Tim Johnson running scared most of the high-profile Dems away, and the primary was won by perennial candidate and general nut David Gill, which means that the Republican is pretty much assured of winning.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout