Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:52:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Omnibus 'congresscritters retiring next year' announcements  (Read 23407 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »

Good. The DSCC can spend that money in more winnable contests.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »

He voted with the GOP leadership 89% of the time; not really 'moderate', but thats pretty low relative to the rest of the caucus.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2012, 12:09:41 PM by MilesC56 »

The story.

He said Thursday that he did not want to run against fellow Rep. David Price (D-N.C.).

"I told David within a week of the election last year that with the Republicans in control of redistricting, we would almost certainly be drawn into the same district. And to be honest, since David has broadly hinted to me and others that he would only serve one more term, I believed that he would retire a term earlier than he intended in the circumstances. That obviously has not happened. David has made it very clear that he intends to run again," he said in a statement released to supporters. "I had two choices: run in a primary with David, or not seek another term."

"I do not have an agreement with David to step aside now and run in two years when he retires, as has been widely rumored, nor have I tried to strike any deal," he said. "The reality is that if I sat out a term and returned to Congress, I would be starting over for most purposes. I would have no assurance of my committee assignments and even if I won assignment to the same committees, I would lose all seniority. Just as important, the debate on the issues that I care about, and on which I am now a leader, would move on. No, I could not simply pick up where I left off."
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »

Wow. Am I the only one who cares about Brad Miller!?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

Despite a ton of chatter to the contrary, Howard Coble is running again.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

Just saw it on Politico and the NC 2012 thread but figured I'd post it here, too, for those that don't read the other sources.

Good riddance.

Our House majority was built on the Heath Shulers and Gene Taylors. Our party would do well to remember that.

Love him or hate him, the fact is that we're one more seat short of re-taking the House.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »

Just saw it on Politico and the NC 2012 thread but figured I'd post it here, too, for those that don't read the other sources.

Good riddance.

Our House majority was built on the Heath Shulers and Gene Taylors. Our party would do well to remember that.

Love him or hate him, the fact is that we're one more seat short of re-taking the House.

Shuler's one thing, but Gene Taylor voted for John McCain.  I know we need moderates, but really, what is a congressional majority if we have more Gene Taylors?

Taylor voted with the House Republican leadership 31% of the time....Palazzo votes with them 95% of the time.

That should say it all.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »

Looks like another potential gain for the Republcans in NC
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:17:30 AM »

I am fairly certain that the redistricting plan was mostly on partisan lines with a few ayes from people got favorable districts.

Yep. No Democrats in either chamber voted for the Congressional, Senate or House maps.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:40:39 AM »

I'm sure some of these extremist liberals supported North Carolina's egregious map, seeing as it got rid of some people they didn't like.

Really, I think Democrats need to start doing to the extremist liberals what Republicans are doing to moderates, booting them out. It's not as if the extreme ones are all that helpful to the party.

Right now different thing happens: extremists in both parties boot all other people (who dare to disagree with them on some issues) out . With very loud shouting cry after first "apostasy" -  "primary them!!!". And in place of "big tent" you have 2 big extremists groups "on the edges of political spectrum".. and glaring empty space between them....
Exactly. I went on the DailyKos today defending Shuler and I seemed like a conservative Republican compared to the liberals attacking me Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2012, 05:20:02 PM by MilesC56 »

My Congresswoman, Sue Myrick, is retiring.

Good riddance!

Myrick was part of the class of 1994; as such, she took one of Gingrich's pledges to only serve 7 terms. Of course, she broke that pledge by running in 2008.

Obviously, no chance of a Democratic pickup.

Numbers:

- Even though this district swung 20 points to Obama in 2008 (he lost here 54-45 compared to Kerry's 64-35), the average for local Republicans is almost 60%.

- Kay Hagan also overperformed here; she got 46% and held Dole to only 50%.

- And of course, the bottom fell out for Perdue, as she only got 32% against McCrory.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Some possible replacements for Myrick:

- State Sen. Bob Rucho. My Senator Sad. The mastermind behind the so-called "fair and legal" Republican redistricting maps. He Chaired the Senate redistricting Committee and drew the maps; much like Brad Miller did 10 years ago. He lives in Matthews. From what I've seen, he has a good relationship with Myrick.

- State Rep. Ruth Samuleson. My representative Sad . Her district includes the more affluent parts of south-central Mecklenburg county.

- House Speaker Thom Tillis. Lives in northern Mecklenburg county. Still I'm not sure he'd want to run for Congress; with the Republicans having likely control of the Assembly for the next decade, his position as Speaker should be pretty secure. I've heard rumors that he plans to run against Hagan in 2014.

- John Lassiter. He was on the Charlotte city council and ran against Anthony Foxx for Charlotte mayor in 2009, losing by 3,000 votes. Haven't heard much from him since.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »

Scott and smoltchanov...this is turning into a thread hijack. Please take it elsewhere. I think you both have a good understanding of politics.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 11:24:16 AM by MilesC56 »

Dreier is retiring.

Not surprising, considering what happened to his district.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies