Should donations to churches be tax deductible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:41:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should donations to churches be tax deductible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should donations to churches be tax deductible?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Should donations to churches be tax deductible?  (Read 3220 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:10 AM »

Asking because I realize now that I will be filing with these as I made a bunch this year that I have receipts for. I never put much thought to this policy until now.

I vote yes of course.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »

Absolutely not. Unless the church forms a seperate non-profit charity whose activities are not religious in nature.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »

Insofar as churches are tax-exempt, yes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:08:58 AM »

If taxing them at the normal rate is too much, how about a lower rate?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:30:41 AM »

Churches are 501(c)3 organizations and it doesn't make much sense to classify them as anything else, so yes. If we have tax deductions at all, churches should be included.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:39:03 AM »

Of course, provided they're a real, recognized church.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »

No. Religious organizations should be ineligible for IRS tax deduction status as they are cults and cults should not be eligible for IRS tax deduction status.

If they want to do charity and have IRS tax deduction status then they should form a 100% secular charity.

There are a whole bunch of other special religious tax privileges that should be abolished as well: http://www.alternet.org/belief/153448/how_we_all_pay_for_the_huge_tax_privileges_granted_to_religion_--_it%27s_time_to_tax_the_church/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »

Churches are 501(c)3 organizations and it doesn't make much sense to classify them as anything else, so yes. If we have tax deductions at all, churches should be included.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:52:09 PM »

Absolutely not. Unless the church forms a seperate non-profit charity whose activities are not religious in nature.

So you favor taxing religious charities even if they're otherwise no different from non-religious charities that (in your opinion) merit tax-exempt status?

It seems that you favor taxing churches just because they're religious--that is, you want to put atheism at a state advantage.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »

So you favor taxing religious charities even if they're otherwise no different from non-religious charities that (in your opinion) merit tax-exempt status?

It seems that you favor taxing churches just because they're religious--that is, you want to put atheism at a state advantage.

Would you have any issue with taxing organizations that deal with the belief or non-belief in God?  That is to say, we'd tax churches (at whatever rate was decided, as Jfern got at)...and say some anaologus atheist or agnostic organization (if said organization exists)?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »

Evangelizing is not charity. It is advertising and should be treated as such. I think all ad agencies should be taxed as well. I certainly do not want to give the irreligious world a "state advantage." I just want to remove the one churches currently (and unconstitutionally, IMO) enjoy. There is no special burden on churches. If a Church truly wants to help the needy and do so tax-free, they can simply set up a seperate charity whose work does not include government sponsered self-promotion.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »

There are certainly some tax loopholes that benefit religious organizations that should be closed (the mortgage interest thing described above is a great example), but churches aren't being treated any differently than other than non-profit 501c3s in having contributions be tax deductible.

I have a feeling people arguing "no" would be pretty unhappy with the consequences if this was changed and churches were no longer tax-exempt, meaning there was nothing preventing them from endorsing candidates and blatant politicking which is now prohibited with the penalty of losing tax exempt status.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:39 PM »

There are certainly some tax loopholes that benefit religious organizations that should be closed (the mortgage interest thing described above is a great example), but churches aren't being treated any differently than other than non-profit 501c3s in having contributions be tax deductible.

I have a feeling people arguing "no" would be pretty unhappy with the consequences if this was changed and churches were no longer tax-exempt, meaning there was nothing preventing them from endorsing candidates and blatant politicking which is now prohibited with the penalty of losing tax exempt status.
The thing is, many already endorse candidates. Not officially, but it's not all that hard to figure out the Southern Baptists want you to vote GOP and the AME wants you to vote for the Dems. They tailor their message around election season. There is already plenty of blantent politicking afoot. Maybe it's just more evident in my part of the country. The more moderate mainline Prots and the Catholics wouldn't endorse even if they had the option because they wouldn't like the impression it would leave. I don't think they want their churches to become arms of political organizations.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »

There's a pretty big difference between giving to religious charities (Salvation Army etc.) and flat out giving to a church.  Just IMO.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »

There's a pretty big difference between giving to religious charities (Salvation Army etc.) and flat out giving to a church.  Just IMO.

The Sally Army, is a Church, dear.

(yes, yes, yes. I know, I know).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »

No, but the cost of the lions should be a legitimate expense.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »

No!
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »

Personally I think if any organization wishes to be tax-exempt, it should accept reasonable caps on salaries/"allowances" and expenses imposed by the government. It really doesn't make sense for a start-up firm to be forced to pay taxes while a glitzy McChurch preacher gets $100K tax free.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »

The Sally Army, is a Church, dear.

Yeah I was going to say that. Terrible example.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »

...Do we have a blush emoticon here?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »

I actually know a guy raised in the Salvation Army, his parents are both officers (what they call ministers), he'll be the drummer of the worship band in the church that I donated to (which is basically going to be the extreme of what Al called "bandshirted happy clappyism" and also about 40% gay if the launch group is any indication.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »

Embarrassed
CaDan
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 12:59:52 AM »

The power to tax the exercise of a privilege is the power to control or suppress its enjoyment. Those who can tax the exercise of a religious practice can make its exercise so costly as to deprive it of the resources necessary for its maintenance.

For those who worship at the altar of "separation of church and state," taxing churches would involve FAR MORE government entanglement than would a tax exemption.

See Walz v. Tax Commission, 397 U.S. 664 (1970).

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »

Churches themselves should be tax exempt, but I'm not sure contributions to them should also be tax deductible.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »

Wrong question. The real question is, "Should the state have the power to tax religion?"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies