Possible new timelines
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Possible new timelines
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one?

JFK death in 1954

Romney in 1968

Nixon chooses Hatfield in '68

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Possible new timelines  (Read 1180 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
« edited: December 28, 2011, 07:24:02 PM by Cathcon »

Yes, yes, I'm currently mired in a couple of timelines, two here and one on alternatehistory.com. However, my mind is always coming up with new ideas and a couple of these I've had in my backpocket for a while. Whatever you choose, I have no intention of starting it in the near future (next few weeks/months). However, they are gnawing on my mind as I suffer writer's block on one project and don't feel like immediately updating the others. The options are:

As of yet, untitled, basically, General George Washington announces a few weeks before the balloting that he has no intention of becoming a politician and states he wishes to retire to Virginia. The electors instead elect Ambassador John Adams to the Presidency and some southern guy whose name I can't remember to the Vice-Presidency. Thus, all of American electoral history is forthwith changed. Quite an ambitious project that would take quite a while to complete, I nonetheless relish the idea of re-writing over two centuries of history.

JFK Death in '54
While undergoing a risky back surgery that "either kills you or cures" on October 21st, 1954, young Senator John F. Kennedy sadly passes away. Would be more focused on the events immediately following the death and on the Kennedy family specifically, though like PBrunsel's Nixon timeline, would still cover American elections.

Romney in '68
The title. Governor George Romney of Michigan manages to run a good campaign, avoids Rockefeller's entrance into the race, and wins the nomination and the Presidency.

Nixon chooses Hatfield
A number of aspiring young politicians were on Nixon's short list in 1968 including one-term Congressman George Bush of Texas and the recently elected Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon. Not sure if I'll have Hatfield stay on for a second term or not, but he'll probably win the Presidency at some point.

Any other suggestions are welcome and for some of you who've read a number of my timelines might see some of these as stale (I've already had Hatfield become President, and Romney's been the 1968 nominee at least twice). JFK's death could lead to yet another Nixon 1960 timeline and I don't want that.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »

Hatfield would likely be a repeat of Ford's presidency, the JFK death would probably be a Nixon timeline, and Romney in '68 has been done. The first seems the most unique.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »

The first option is the most interesting and ambitious. I'm partial to it namely because you are a good writer and a thorough researcher (two traits lacking from far too many).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »

The first option is the most interesting and ambitious. I'm partial to it namely because you are a good writer and a thorough researcher (two traits lacking from far too many).

Thanks.

On my computer I've been drawing up drafts of the JFK one and the 1789 one which is currently titled "Where've You Gone, General Washington?" I'm just worried I won't be able to handle the foreign events and won't be able to properly lay out the butterflies of an Adams Presidency versus a Washington Presidency. In fact, some of the greatest differences may come in 1797 when Adams is out of office and Thomas Jefferson is in. For the JFK one I'm up to 1960, but I just started the 1789 one yesterday after the first one disappeared about a week ago. Suggestions would be great and please say if you'd like to see them posted either in here or in a separate thread.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

I've chosen 'Other' because I want YOU to choose the one you'd prefer to write. I'm sure there's one you have more [creative] ideas about.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:24:23 PM »

All of them are great, perhaps a hybrid of all of them? But, butterflies may be an issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies