Saudis buy 84 new F15s, upgrade 70 they already have, other stuff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:19:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Saudis buy 84 new F15s, upgrade 70 they already have, other stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Saudis buy 84 new F15s, upgrade 70 they already have, other stuff  (Read 1702 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That's a lot of air superiority fighters.  A lot more than they'd need with any fight with Iran, even if they get no help from anybody outside the Arabian peninsula and nowhere near enough to defeat Israel (though it would be a lot tougher now).  What other enemies do they have or could potentially have?

Other than their own people subjects of course, but F15s aren't super useful fighting your own people.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »

The sense that some huge war is brewing is giving the spectator half of my brain is getting ready to start munching down the popcorn. My more rational side is thinkin' "uh oh".
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »

They're flush with money and they probably figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »

Alexander Siddig and Matt Damon explain all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQKhvweL2A&feature=related
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 06:16:49 AM »

The sense that some huge war is brewing is giving the spectator half of my brain is getting ready to start munching down the popcorn. My more rational side is thinkin' "uh oh".

Particularly the latter in my case, as I'm a lot closer to Iran than you are.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »

They're probably paranoid about Iran. I doubt they want to mix it up with Israel, and probably view it as a partner against Iran, albeit one they want no direct involvement with. Still, it's pretty clear that the Saudis hate the Iranians a lot more than they hate the Israelis.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »

They're probably paranoid about Iran. I doubt they want to mix it up with Israel, and probably view it as a partner against Iran, albeit one they want no direct involvement with. Still, it's pretty clear that the Saudis hate the Iranians a lot more than they hate the Israelis.
Agreed, but it seems like an awful lot of planes to have to go up against Iran's band aid and duct taped fleet of 30 year old air frames.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »

Agreed, but it seems like an awful lot of planes to have to go up against Iran's band aid and duct taped fleet of 30 year old air frames.

Are the Iranian F-14As even usable? 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »

Possibly, but probably not very many, and they will be piloted by second class pilots with little training.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »

I guess they're worried about Russia directly/indirectly helping Iran.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 12:10:50 AM »

Oh yeah, definitely no reason for Iran to want to defend itself with a nuclear deterrent. Look at its peaceful, friendly neighbors!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:07 AM »

and now the boomers to go with the birds
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »

and now 15,000 anti-tank missiles
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 04:00:29 AM »

War is coming.  The people up top have already decided as much.  This time they'll do it with or without public support.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »

If the Saudi's and Irani's fought a war I would still put my money on those duct taped 30 year old planes.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »

If the Saudi's and Irani's fought a war I would still put my money on those duct taped 30 year old planes.

Explain why you would say that.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »

Better hardware are very good, but it demand a degree of competence to also use it well, the Saudi Army have at no point shown itself competent, while the Iranis have shown that they can deliver quite good results even with inferior hardware.

Just to look at the Saudi's competance, they have tried to build a rebel force up in Syria, but rather than training them in SA, they send them to Pakistan, where they hire Pakistani instructors.

In the 1st Gulf War, when SA had to mobilise their (untrained) soldiers both infantry and pilots arrived with servants.

So while I think Saudi Army can deal with unarmed and lightly armed civilians, I think they will collapse when they meet anything stronger than that. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »

Like Europe 400 years ago, to be an officer you have to be from money and tribal affiliation, not skills, smarts or Allah forbid, leadership abilities.  They treat the enlisted men like garbage and they don't do NCOs (the backbone of any military).  They don't train properly.  They are horrible at maintenance.  Nobody wants to be blamed for why they lost the war, the bird, the ship, the platoon, so mid level officers in the field won't EVER make a decision on their own and sometimes won't even do what the higher ups tell them.  Just Google "why arabs lose wars".  A lot of this comes from the culture and some of it is from the soviet era which had a lot of the same problems.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »

Better hardware are very good, but it demand a degree of competence to also use it well, the Saudi Army have at no point shown itself competent, while the Iranis have shown that they can deliver quite good results even with inferior hardware.

The Iran-Iraq war was a status quo ante draw... and the Iranians had superior weaponry.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

The Iran-Iraq war was a status quo ante draw... and the Iranians had superior weaponry.

At the start of that war Iraq made some significant gains against Iran and its disrupted military.  Yet as time went on, Iran recaptured the area that had been lost and took territory from Iraq and generally continued to hold it despite what by that time was an Iraqi superiority in materiel.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »

Oh yeah, definitely no reason for Iran to want to defend itself with a nuclear deterrent. Look at its peaceful, friendly neighbors!

I can see it now. The neocons will say the Iranians are just being paranoid, yet be completely comfortable with Saudi Arabia getting their hands on whatever armaments they can.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »

I can see it now. The neocons will say the Iranians are just being paranoid, yet be completely comfortable with Saudi Arabia getting their hands on whatever armaments they can.

Who would want to a) invade and b) have the capability to do so? And before you say the US, Iran is not Iraq.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies