Another Proposal to the Northeaster Legislature--Constitutional Ammendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:52:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Another Proposal to the Northeaster Legislature--Constitutional Ammendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Proposal to the Northeaster Legislature--Constitutional Ammendment  (Read 789 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2004, 01:51:06 PM »

HOME RULE FOR STATES

Section 1. Intent of article. -- It is the intention of this article to grant and confirm to the people of every state in this region the right of self government in all local matters.

Section 2. Local legislative powers. -- Every state shall have the power at any time to adopt a charter, amend its charter, enact and amend local laws relating to its property, affairs and government not inconsistent with this constitution and laws enacted by the general assembly in conformity with the powers reserved to the general assembly.

Section 3. Local legislative bodies. -- Notwithstanding anything contained in this article, every state may have a legislative body composed of one or two branches elected by vote of its qualified electors.

Section 4. Powers of legislature over states. -- The legislature shall have the power to act in relation to the property, affairs and government of any state by general laws which shall apply alike to all states, but which shall not affect the form of government of any state. The legislature shall also have the power to act in relation to the property, affairs and government of a particular state provided that such legislative action shall become effective only upon approval by a majority of the qualified electors of the said state voting at a general or special election, except that in the case of acts involving the imposition of a tax or the expenditure of money by a state the same shall provide for the submission thereof to those electors in said state qualified to vote upon a proposition to impose a tax or for the expenditure of money.

Section 5. Local taxing and borrowing powers. -- Nothing contained in this article shall be deemed to grant to any state the power to levy, assess and collect taxes or to borrow money, except as authorized by the general assembly.

Section 6. Adoption of charters. -- Within one year from the date of the election of the charter commission the charter framed by the commission shall be submitted to the legislative body of the state which body shall provide for publication of said charter and shall provide for the submission of said charter to the electors of a state qualified to vote for general state officers at the general election next succeeding one week from the date of the submission of the charter by the charter commission. If said charter is approved by a majority of said electors voting thereon, it shall become effective upon the date fixed therein.

Section 7. Amendments to charters. -- The legislative body of any state may propose amendments to a charter which amendments shall be submitted for approval in the same manner as provided in this article for the adoption of a charter except that the same may be submitted at a special election, and provided further that in the case of a state with less than 5 voters, amendments concerning a proposition to impose a tax or for the expenditure of money, shall be submitted at a special or regular financial state meeting.

Section 8. Judicial powers unaffected by article. -- The judicial powers of the region shall not be diminished by the provisions of this article.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 04:00:39 PM »

Okay so you want every state in the Northeast to create a charter and a state legislature. That would be hard in a state where their is only one person. If this isn't what you mean then explain it to me.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 04:21:05 PM »

Okay so you want every state in the Northeast to create a charter and a state legislature. That would be hard in a state where their is only one person. If this isn't what you mean then explain it to me.

If they wanted. Besides, if the state would have only one person, it'd be the easiest thing to do, not hardest.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 05:18:13 PM »

Umm, I dont think so. I am 110% AGAINST this. What a terrible idea. No offense Bono.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 07:34:18 PM »

Umm, I dont think so. I am 110% AGAINST this. What a terrible idea. No offense Bono.
I have to agree with the Governor. I DO NOT want to increase the size of the Northeastern Government any large than its present size. This would just make it crazy. Could you see a PA or NY governors race? It would be crazy and add more useless positions to the forum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies