The Union Vanishes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:46:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Union Vanishes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Union Vanishes  (Read 4038 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
« edited: December 30, 2011, 07:41:13 PM by Cmd. Rabb »

Even after over 150 years, we still don't know for sure what were the circumstances under which James Madison departed from the world of mortals. The last thing we know for certain is that the 4th President of the United States was taken prisoner by the British forces while attempting to fly besieged Washington. Historians still can't agree on whether he died in transport due to poor health or sanitary, was shot during ill-fated escape attempt or deliberately killed by his guardians. We don't even know what happened to his body and the most plausible hypothesis is that British buried him at sea shortly thereafter. What's really important was that the United States lost their capital and President, leaving their government decapitated in face of full-scale British invasion...

Professor George S. McGovern, The United States, 1776-1815, first published 1967

The President Vanishes
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:23:42 PM »

This had better continue.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »

As nobody had a clue about the President's whereabouts, other than he's been taken prisoner,  the United States were brutally confronted, in addition to military disaster, with a constitutional crisis of unbearable proportions.

While Madison was certainly unable to execute the duties of the office, the office itself was not vacant, at least not to anyone's on the American side knowledge. The Constitution, as well as subsequently passed succession act, remained silent about presidential incapacity.

For worse, Vice President Elbridge Gerry was not in position to take a lead, even if legally allowed to, because of his own poor health (as he died later this year, in November).

And for even worse, with the British being in control of capital and major communication routes, the Congress and cabinet couldn't meet (also due to a poor state of communication itself in early 19th Century) to pass any kind of emergency resolution.

The Nation not only lost a political leader, but also a commander-in-chief, leaving various generals without clear authority.

Because of the British commanders did not announce (for a clear purpouse) Madison's fate, the United States were literally decapitated. And, with peace in Europe emerging after Napoleon's defeat, reinforcements were coming to America, to finish "the colonists" once and for all.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »

Noooooo!.....
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:38:34 PM »

What's your problem? Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »

America will crumble. Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »

But you'll get an interesting story full of new nations to follow Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

This looks really good - a scenario of America falling to the British here is something I've never considered.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »

Son of a bitch...

The General was looking, with a mix of disbelief and growing fury, at the messanger, who just delivered shocking news to him.

Son of a bitch, the General repeated and then hit the table with his fist.

That "son of a bitch" was no one else than Hon. Langdon Cheves of South Carolina, who succeeded an "unconditional" Henry Clay as the Speaker of the House, after what remained of Congress was finally able to meet. With Madison's whereabouts still unknown and Gerry's death, the "Rump Congress" finally amended 1792 Presidential Succession Act in order to make the Speaker an Acting President. So he just...

General, his adjutant said with hesitation. The Acting President is ordering all our generals to withdraw from fight immediately...

My ass!, the General hissed. I will not surrender to the redcoats. Over my dead body! Over my bloody dead body... Captain, summon the commanders, we'll march soon...

But, sir...

Shut up and carry on, captain!

Yes, sir!

And don't worry, I'm not going on Washington

Then where will he go?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »

Gentlemen, your so-called "union" is dissolved.

On the day of September 14, 1815, General George Prévost, commander of the victorious British army, has been accepting a formal surrender of already overrun, broke and powerless U.S. government at the steps of former Capitol. A sweet, sweet revenge for the 1776 indeed.

With country being effectively occupied by the enemy, Americans were waiting for their conditions with fear. As it turned out, fully justified one.

While the darkest dream of becoming George III subjects again did not come, there wasn't much consolation. After just 39 years of existence once hopeful country ceased to exist. Although only New England was to return under direct Crown's rule, seceding as early as 1813 (as war was extremely unpopular there, resulting in many citizens taking oaths of loyalty to the King and paying British before formal breakup, discussed long before, happened) and the rest of an original states was to remain sovereign, the Union has been dissolved and British forces will continue to maintain it's presence for an unspecified time.

Another painful blow was London's decision to annex Louisiana and part of Western territory that was still unorganized. The Americans were looking at gloomy future of living in small and weak separate countries.

But there was one man that, even while realizing that his homeland is no more, did not want to live under the new order...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »

I'm wondering how the Adamses will figure in this. As well, I'm hoping for Andrew Jackson as some super badass rebel.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 09:23:08 PM by Bacon King, VP »

MY HEAD ASPLODE
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
« Edited: January 01, 2012, 11:19:02 PM by Cmd. Rabb »

I'm the Gov'nor now

The Spanish Governor of Florida did not protest. What was the point of protesting when dozen of muskets were aimed at you anyway?

Now, a fancy gubernatorial palace in Pensacola, as well as the rest of territory, were at General Andrew Jackson's mercy.

Although his blood was literally boilling, when he learned about surrender and, then, disestablishing of a country he fought for since very beginning and he'd love to hang all those bloody redcoats on the trees, he chose not to.

Yet, Andy Jackson might have been struggling with grammar like Kalwejt, but wasn't an idiot. As hard as it was, he realized he stands absolutely zero chance in taking on British occupational forces. Yet, of course, he didn't think even for a second to surrender himself and his men to the restored ancien regime.

On the other hand, he felt surprisingly pleased with a situation or having his own, loyal army and no authority over him. So, with no other prospects, he decided to go South.

After retaining it's authority over Florida in 1783, Spain maintained pretty weak military presence there. During Napoleonic Wars, they could always count on their British allies help, but after Napoleon was finally defeated, Spanish-British relations quickly turned cold at best, due to colonial disputes. Taking over Florida was actually welcomed positively with London, since it was both a huge blow for Madrid, as well as elimination of a potential "Jackson problem" (yes, British know he's a stubborn bastard who'll never bow up).

Initially, Jackson hoped that Florida, under his warlord rule, could become a point to revive the United States, but a smooth British occupation quickly put these plans to rest. Also recently, Jackson developed a strong fascination with another gifted soldier that with his skills and impudence reached for power: Napoleon Bonaparte. This, combined with his biter resentment toward a "weak" American system, that just collapsed, led Old Hickory to make a fateful decision.

On October 4, 1816, Andrew Jackson, a general without a country and nasty warlord who conquered an entire colony on his own, was proclaimed Emperor in Pensacola, world's newest capital.

His Imperial Highness, Andrew the Badass, Emperor of All Florida
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:29:43 PM »

Bueno...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 10:55:26 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 09:22:48 PM by Bacon King, VP »

MY HEAD ASPLODE
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 11:06:18 AM »

Mr. Jackson's little "empire" is certainly the best thing that could happen to us in postwar America, your Lordship, British Foreign Secretary, Viscount Castlereagh, was writing to his boss Earl of Liverpool, the Prime Minister. Naturally, we cannot formally recognize this entity, but I'd strongly recommend to adopt a policy of friendly neutrality. Not only Mr. Jackson is not causing us troubles in the former "United States" himself, but he's also bringing those hostile to the new order under his banner. Furthermore, the blow he delivered to the Madrid is good for our interests.

The Viscount was absolutely correct. Thousands of Americans, who did not want to accept the new order, were going to Florida, where "Mr. Jackson" (or Emperor Andrew, if you wish) was ruling with an iron fist, consolidating his rule by restlessly pursing Seminoles, who, for rather obvious reasons, were not pleased with his presence. As usual, the Emperor commanded his troops directly in the field, leaving administrative duties to his staff in Pensacola.

Florida Empire in red
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 04:57:27 PM »

One might have thought he would have settled for "King", but let him continue!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2011, 05:23:52 PM by Cmd. Rabb »

Note: Jackson's "Empire" also includes significant part of Western Florida, that was separated from the current state. Thus, Mobile is a part of new country.

One might have thought he would have settled for "King", but let him continue!

King doesn't sound good for many (remember King George). Also in France Napoleon was considering crowning himself as a King, but settled down with an "Emperor" to not piss the Republicans too much.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »

Yes, bet emperor seems a bit... grandiose. Perhaps Consul-for-life or Dux? Had Dictator assumed negative connotations by then?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »

Dear Kal,
I think that slavery will be an important issue in this thread. Although British Industrial Revolution needs Southern cotton, British Empire abolished slave trading in 1807. Then how can Southern farmers get slaves. Administration of occupied South would be another hard work. I think that British would need to create a colony with mix of non-seashore Alabama and Mississippi in order to keep control of territory and preventing expansionism of Empire of Florida. They can settle new territory with people from Europe that could provide a great opportunity to put people that suffered with enclosures in Britain (this can generate problems in "Industrial Army of Reserve", with some interesting consequences for British). I'd like to see also an Russian expansionism towards America, that means a clash between British Empire and Russian Empire (a world scale Crimean War in mid-19th). We can have a global thread there...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 08:28:07 PM »

Dear Kal,
I think that slavery will be an important issue in this thread. Although British Industrial Revolution needs Southern cotton, British Empire abolished slave trading in 1807. Then how can Southern farmers get slaves. Administration of occupied South would be another hard work. I think that British would need to create a colony with mix of non-seashore Alabama and Mississippi in order to keep control of territory and preventing expansionism of Empire of Florida. They can settle new territory with people from Europe that could provide a great opportunity to put people that suffered with enclosures in Britain (this can generate problems in "Industrial Army of Reserve", with some interesting consequences for British). I'd like to see also an Russian expansionism towards America, that means a clash between British Empire and Russian Empire (a world scale Crimean War in mid-19th). We can have a global thread there...

I'm glad you noticed an important issue, Rod.

Regarding slavery, despite British's far less enthusiastic approachment to the issue, an immediate action is not warranted, yet. From formal point of view there was no annexation, save of already abolitionist New England, but a military occupation of various, technically sovereign states. Of course, the problem will surface.

Don't worry, there will be a big play for what remained from the U.S.

As of Florida, you're right. Andy won't be satisfied with what he got already. The question is, where will he turn his eyes.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »

Dear Kal,

Forgive me if this slows anyone's computer, but it has to be stated that this comment exceeds the top level of

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies