Billions Needed to Upgrade Nation's Water & Sewage Systems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:43:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Billions Needed to Upgrade Nation's Water & Sewage Systems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Billions Needed to Upgrade Nation's Water & Sewage Systems  (Read 2166 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »

There were also different things being taught to a different population with different technology and pedagogical assumptions when Barack Obama was a child.

Typically, technology reduces the cost of labor. It must be nice to be in one of the few industries where, allegedly, the opposite is true and one can artificially increase labor demand with, uh, assumptions.

The children also have to be taught more things. It must be nice to have one of the few outlooks on the world where, allegedly, technology simplifies the job of rearing or educating the young.

You must be a comedian, because your jokes are very funny. There is no documented evidence that anyone is being taught more things even under the funny assumption that the have to be taught more things .

It's very cute how you and the unions daisy chain assumptions like this to boost their payroll.

Here in (some) Republican areas of New Jersey, numerous districts were able to replace several Spanish teachers with cheaper, better, faster, more available Rosetta Stone software that doesn't go on strike, doesn't collect a pension, and doesn't retire at the age of 50. The documented evidence of successes in technology is there.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »

I can see no one here regards this as a serious problem...     

Of course we do.  The fact that this isn't a major focus is amazing.  Of course, we tend not to focus on problems before they become expensive, and hard to fix.  Much like healthcare, we're more likely to ignore preventive care, and instead pray we don't get sh**t on.  Plus, it doesn't help when the initial construction was done poorly anyway.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 10:00:47 PM by Nathan »

There were also different things being taught to a different population with different technology and pedagogical assumptions when Barack Obama was a child.

Typically, technology reduces the cost of labor. It must be nice to be in one of the few industries where, allegedly, the opposite is true and one can artificially increase labor demand with, uh, assumptions.

The children also have to be taught more things. It must be nice to have one of the few outlooks on the world where, allegedly, technology simplifies the job of rearing or educating the young.

You must be a comedian, because your jokes are very funny. There is no documented evidence that anyone is being taught more things even under the funny assumption that the have to be taught more things .

The doesn't have to be, but they do, by simple dint that the world is in fact more complicated than it was in the 1960s. Sorry for that. If they aren't in fact being taught what they need to know it's because of the right's bizarre obsession with breathing down teachers' necks and hamstringing them with ridiculous demonization.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Or to boost how effectively they can do their jobs and help children learn.

And how much increased interest in and capacity for Spanish did replacing the teachers with robots result in? For that matter, how many jobs did it create? Can the software attend personally to the children's needs, inspire the children, or pay into Social Security?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »

The doesn't have to be, but they do, by simple dint that the world is in fact more complicated than it was in the 1960s. Sorry for that. If they aren't in fact being taught what they need to know it's because of the right's bizarre obsession with breathing down teachers' necks and hamstringing them with ridiculous demonization.

And how much increased interest in and capacity for Spanish did replacing the teachers with robots result in? For that matter, how many jobs did it create? Can the software attend personally to the children's needs, inspire the children, or pay into Social Security?

Confirmed comedian. Indeed, all of the first paragraph is simply made up and devoid of facts.

As far as the second, local superintendents and parents are happy with the program. The software acts as a private tutor and can even be accessed from home.

Naturally with the savings the local districts can take less money from the taxpayer.

Or to boost how effectively they can do their jobs and help children learn.

Data from the obama administration confirms that they have failed for about 40 years.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 11:08:19 PM by Nathan »

Confirmed comedian. Indeed, all of the first paragraph is simply made up and devoid of facts.

This is especially hilarious coming from you. I see what you're doing with these two sentences and it's brilliantly post-structuralist. Well done. Maybe if you could carry more of that attitude through your life you would stop demonizing a profession whose sole charge is helping children grow.

A two-part question: First, what's their level of expertise in Spanish instruction, and to what extent and for what purposes do they want the children to learn Spanish? Second, you are aware that teachers know more about teaching than bureaucrats or parents do, correct? Because it's kind of implied by the word. Then again, if a robot taught you morphology, it might not have been able to make sure that you know how to work things like that out.

That's nice. More importantly, can the robot come to an understanding of who the student actually is as a person rather than, well, a software end-user? Can it develop any sort of relationship or rapport with the student? Tell me, do you have any personal experience learning foreign languages? I do and I've got to tell you, if somebody replaced Koyama-sensei with a robot I would be pissed.

Right, which is why such things are important teaching tools. You know. For teachers.

That's about how long the ongoing commodification and privatization of everything in the United States that isn't nailed down has been going on in a particularly half-assed manner, yes.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 02:33:24 AM »

I'm fairly certain at this point that Krazen loved a teacher once and she didn't love him back.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »

I'm fairly certain at this point that Krazen loved a teacher once and she didn't love him back.

No, I'm just a guy who shelled out massive amounts of money in property tax due to the NJEA.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2012, 01:26:14 PM by Nathan »

No, I'm just a guy who shelled out massive amounts of money in property tax due to the NJEA.

And of course it all comes back to quantifiables. Stay classy, Monmouth [?] County.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2012, 02:20:38 PM by Nathan »

You are aware that Democratic states, urban areas, and urban areas in Democratic states tend to have net negative BOPs within the federal budget, right? So it's not a question of Massachusetts taking money from Montana. If anything, being net losers in the federal budget while bitching about it less than a lot of the mostly Southern and Western states that are net gainers I would think demonstrates magnanimity.

Can  Massachusetts have some of that money back from Montana, maybe?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 Timothy 6:9–10
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »

I can see no one here regards this as a serious problem...     

(cue our libertarian friends to note that we could always privatize our water and sewage systems)

Oh god no no no no no no no dont privatize your water. Trust me, you'll regret it Tongue We all do.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies