A miracle in Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  A miracle in Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Should this go on?
Yes

No

Hell no!

It's awesome!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: A miracle in Iowa  (Read 22639 times)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
« edited: January 19, 2012, 10:29:32 PM by Jerseyrules »

12-03-2010:
Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) announces his candidacy for president in front of the Statue of Liberty, met with cheers from libertarians and Democrats angry with the conduct of the Edwards administration.  He is promptly endorsed by Senators Ventura (I-MN) and his son Rand (R-KY), who begin campaigning for him immediately.

12-17-2010:
President Edwards approves extensions of key elements in the PATRIOT ACT, including the ability to detain American citizens indefinitely, met with anger from the liberal community.  Ron Paul blasts the president's "inability to see that America is a free nation, and one which abides by its constitution."

01-09-2011:
Sen. Mitt Romney (R-MA) announces his candidacy for president in front of the Golden Gate Bridge, telling his supporters "This president believes that America is in decline.  It is while he's president.  It isn't when I'm president."

01-21-2011:
Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty announces his candidacy for president, saying "we cannot go on with a president ignorant of the people's needs, and with unemployment at 9.7%."  It is clear that his bid is a long shot, and he polls third behind Gov. Romney and Rep. Paul.

02-30-2011:
Gov. Robert Jindal (R-LA) announces his candidacy for president.  His bid is considered unlikely to succeed, but many pundits believe he is "really just running for Vice President."

03-13-2011:
Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee announces on his Fox News program that he will not be a candidate for president.  It is widely believed his choice was based on his poor performance in opinion polls, as well as his well-performing TV show.

03-23-2011:
Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI) announces he will challenge President Edwards in the primaries this year, citing the President's 30% approval ratings, and sub-60% ratings within his own party, as well as his reauthorization of the PATRIOT ACT.

04-08-2011:
President Edwards announces he will be a candidate for re-election.  He will face a touch battle for his own nomination, however, by Fmr. Senator Feingold, who he agrees to debate once in the primaries.

04-11-2011:
Senator Mark Warner announces his insurgent candidacy for president, challenging President Edwards from the left, saying "The era of fiscal responsibility will be over the day I am elected president."

04-20-2011:
Asked among Democrats only:
"Whom do you think won tonight's Democratic debate?"

Russ Feingold: 37%
Sen. Warner: 35%
Pres. Edwards: 23%
Draw: 5%

Before debate: "Who will you support in the primaries this year?"

Pres. Edwards: 71%
Sen. Feingold: 12%
Sen. Warner: 7%
Undecided: 10%

After Debate:

Pres. Edwards: 47%
Sen. Feingold: 31%
Sen. Warner: 17%
Undecided: 5%

Feingold: "I believe I stand with not only our party but the American people when I say that your decision to detain American citizens, you effectively sh**tcanned our constitutional freedoms and this nation's personal liberties, and your extension of the Bush tax cuts didn't help either."

Warner: "Now let me get a word in there, Russ.  I have a lot of respect for you, and I agree with you completely on the PATRIOT ACT, but you're all wrong about the Bush tax cuts.  I helped to craft that bill, and it was a bipartisan effort, and I really think that you need to consider the loopholes we closed.  We lowered the rates even more on hard-working Americans, and we did what we needed to do with a Republican Congress.  We kept the payroll tax cut to help spur this economy-"

Feingold: "Well great job there, senator." [roaring laughter and applause]

Warner: "Well that's just not fair, senator-"

POTUS: "Are you two going to let me talk?" [cheers from audience].  "I think I'm the only one here who realizes that there's three candidates in this stage, not two."

05-12-2011:
Many analysts believe that the GOP debate today resulted in a strong victory for Ron Paul, with Romney also doing well.  Analysts agree that Paul's moment of triumph was when he slammed Romney for "his part in the Wall Street Bailout and the Billion-Dollar Stimulus."  Romney stumbled in his attempt to respond, and Paul hit him hard saying "It's hard to remember a lie, isn't it governor?" with a coy smile.  Paul emerges from the debate with a tight lead over Romney, with Jindal and Pawlenty trailing in third and fourth respectively.

07-11-2011:
Gov. Chris Christie endorses Sen. Romney for President, which is a significant boost to the Romney campaign, although it is not enough to help him to overcome Ron Paul's lead in the polls.

10-24-2011:
After several debates and a great deal of campaigning by surrogates, Ron Paul maintains a great lead in Iowa, while New Hampshire is much closer as Mitt Romney scrambles to make up for lost votes.  Meanwhile on the Democratic side, Feingold leads in Iowa, Warner leads in NH by the skin of his teeth, and the president maintains a narrow lead in South Carolina.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 01:01:44 AM by Jerseyrules »

01-03-2012:
President Edwards suffers a major blow in the Iowa caucus, coming in third place, trailing far behind Mark Warner and Russ Feingold, the latter of whom won the caucus with 42% of the vote.  Meanwhile, on the Republican side, Ron Paul wins Iowa with Jindal and Pawlenty in second and third place respectively, while Romney is nowhere to be found.  Although Romney spent all his time in NH, Pawlenty spent all his time and money to pull an upset in Iowa, and he drops out of the race, endorsing Mitt Romney.

01-10-2012:
Sen. Warner eeks out a narrow victory over Feingold in New Hampshire, leaving the president in the dust.  The president claims, "This battle is still not over!  We will fight them all the way to the convention!"  However his daughter, Cate, convinces him that he is "in the same place as LBJ was 44 years ago," and that night he makes a speech from the White House, saying "I, your president, shall not seek, and will not accept, your party's nomination for a second term."  President Edwards attempts to convince Vice President Dean to run, but when he declines, the president decides he will make a draft movement at the convention, though says nothing publicly about his plans...  Meanwhile, Ron Paul narrowly defeats Mitt Romney in New Hampshire, and Romney appears ready to drop out of the race, though he pledges to "stay in at least until Florida."

01-17-2012:
Senator Herman Cain (R-GA) endorses Rep. Ron Paul for the presidency, stating that his victories in Iowa and New Hampshire show his strength, and that Gov. Romney is in his way of the GOP nomination.

Sen. Cain on the stump for Ron Paul

01-20-2012:
Ron Paul becomes the first non-incumbent of either party to sweep the first three primaries, after he sends surrogates Sarah Palin, Herman Cain and Jim DeMint to campaign for him.  He just barely defeats Mitt Romney, who kept his own surrogate, Nikki Haley, very busy on the campaign trail.  Gov. Jindal drops out and endorses Ron Paul after a lackluster third place performance, slimming the nomination down to a two-man race.  For the Democrats, Mark Warner gives Feingold a black eye in South Carolina, beating him out two-to-one.

Jim DeMint campaigning for Ron Paul in Florida

Nikki Haley barnstorming for Mitt Romney in South Carolina
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 02:16:15 AM by Jerseyrules »

"...and that's why I'm calling on Senator Romney to end his campaign for the presidency, because he's only making the Republicans weaker in November."

"I formally endorse Ron Paul for the Presidency of the United States!"

"The founders would be ashamed of us for what we've put up with, and I'm going to make sure that we go on to change that with a mandate in November!  We're going all the way!"

"I'm announcing my candidacy for the senate seat up this year, and I'm going to endorse Ron Paul for president!"

Florida Primary, Republican:

Paul: 52%
Romney: 47%
Others: 1%

"...which is why I regret to inform you that I am formally ending my campaign for the White House tonight, and thank you to all my supporters; I hope you vote for Congressman Paul in November!"

Florida Primary, Democratic:

Warner: 47%
Feingold: 42%
Bernie Sanders (write-in): 11%

"Thank you, Florida, for your support, and we will go on to victory in November!  We can save the Democratic Party from the brink!"

"We are going onto win Michigan, Nevada, and we will show them what's what come Super Tuesday!"

"Due to the fantastic outpouring of support I have seen in Florida, I am hereby announcing my campaign for president as a write-in candidate."

Nevada Caucus, Democratic:

Sanders: 37%
Warner: 31%
Feingold: 31%
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »

I love this
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 07:50:24 AM »

This is awesome. Smiley I have a question regarding the 2009 elections. Did the NY special congressional election occur? And if so, did Cinservative candidate Doug Hoffman win? Keep going, I love the first lines of the Edwards Presidency.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 01:30:56 PM »

Thanks Wink  Next update this afternoon.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »

This is awesome. Smiley I have a question regarding the 2009 elections. Did the NY special congressional election occur? And if so, did Cinservative candidate Doug Hoffman win? Keep going, I love the first lines of the Edwards Presidency.

Yes, the 2009 special election occured, with Doug Hoffman eeking out a narrow victorty; thanks!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 02:01:00 PM by Jerseyrules »

"And I'm going to tell you right now, Ron Paul is definitely the man we need elected, although as you all know, I've been giving Ron a lot of crap about not running as an independent.  But regardless, if he can transform the Republican Party into a team of intellectuals, committed to principal, not party, I'm okay with his voting registration." [cheers]

"We need a government that can sustain itself, and provide for the common man.  We need a government that doesn't spend its extra money wiretapping and detaining its own citizens.  And thank you to all of you who made it possible yesterday, and trust me, we'll go all the way.'

"We need to make sure that we elect Ron Paul in November, and we need to get the government out of your wallets and off of your phone lines!  I'll do anything and everything I can to ensure victory for the Campaign for Liberty!"

"IT'S JINDAL!"
The 2012 Republican Ticket:

The Democratic Candidates:

Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 02:08:42 PM »

PAUL/JINDAL '12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2012, 08:30:09 PM by Jerseyrules »

Maine:

Feingold: 34%
Sanders: 32%

Colorado:

Warner: 37%
Sanders: 34%
Feingold: 29%

Minnesota:

Sanders: 41%
Feingold: 32%
Warner: 26%

Missouri:

Warner: 47%
Sanders: 21%

"I proudly endorse Russ Feingold for the presidency!"

- Fmr. Rep. Gabby Giffords

Arizona:

Feingold: 34%
Sanders: 33%

"Clearly Russ Feingold is the only candidate who can beat Ron Paul in November, and he has my endorsement."

- Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer

Paul v. Feingold:

Paul: 54% - Feingold: 45%

Paul v. Warner:

Paul: 57% - Warner: 39%

Paul v. Sanders:

Paul: 57% - Sanders: 36%

Michigan:

Feingold: 37%
Warner: 34%
Sanders: 27%

Washington:

Sanders: 39%
Warner: 37%
Feingold: 23%

Alaska:

Sanders: 43%
Warner: 32%
Feingold: 25%

Georgia:

Warner: 53%
Feingold: 31%
Sanders: 14%

Idaho:

Warner: 54%
Sanders: 23%
Feingold: 21%

Massachusetts:

Sanders: 36%
Warner: 35%

"Today I announce that I am ending my candidacy for president, and I will endorse Mark Warner for the presidency..."

North Dakota:

Warner: 57%
Sanders: 39%

Ohio:

Warner: 59%
Sanders: 37%

Oklahoma:

Warner: 79%
Sanders: 19%

Tennessee:

Warner: 72%
Sanders: 27%

Vermont:

Sanders: 57%
Warner: 42%

Virginia:

Warner: 76%
Sanders: 23%

"I am calling on Senator Bernie Sanders, who has spent several million dollars in Ohio alone, to end his campaign for the White House, as he is only weakening our party's eventual nominee."

The primary map as of now:

"With Senator Warner becoming the presumptive nominee, I have no choice but to continue our crusade for the White House as an independent.  We're ready for one hell of a ride, America, and we don't need your corrupt two-idiot system either!  So how do you like that Vermont ice cream!" [roaring laughter and applause]

Where red = Warner, blue = Feingold, and green = Sanders

[takes off glasses, hurls scotch glass at nearby wall]
"God f****king dammit, Howard!  Unf****king believable.  I knew things would get tougher around here, but they won't even listen to me on the budget, and that schmuck Lieberman gives them a goddamn supermajority!  Goddammit!"

"Well, you've gotta whoop their asses a little.  Get in there and make your case to the American people.  Otherwise, they're the do-nothing Congress.  Either way, you win, and maybe you can get that draft you're looking for."

"Dammit!  You obviously don't understand; my own party is against me on this!  I've gotta be the action man, not the 'please pass my bill' president!"

"Your impeachment...."

"We have an idiot president who doesn't even know if his kid is really his kid!  Not only that, but we have two numbskulls running against us who claim to be 'for the working class.'  But what they don't realize is that Ron Paul is the only candidate who is for the working class.  Do you know what sets them apart?  Ron Paul will actually give people jobs, which is the most pro-work thing I can think of, especially in comparison to more government bureaucracy!"

Fmr. Senator (and candidate for senate) Al D'Amato (R/C-NY)

Paul v. Warner v. Sanders:

Paul: 52% - Warner: 27% - Sanders: 16%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2012, 11:05:13 AM by Jerseyrules »

2012 GOP National Convention:

"It's not his fault; he's just ignorant, that's all!  He just is too out of touch with the American people to understand that he's tearing this country apart with class warfare and constant spying on the American people.  Now let's get out there and make Ron Paul the 45th President of these United States!"

- Senator Sarah Palin (R-AK)

"We have an idiot president who doesn't even know if his kid is really his kid!  I don't think he knows his ass from his elbow, come to think of it!  Not only that, but we have two numbskulls running against us who claim to be 'for the working class.'  But what they don't realize is that Ron Paul is the only candidate who is for the working class.  Do you know what sets them apart?  Ron Paul will actually give people jobs, which is the most pro-work thing I can think of, especially in comparison to more government bureaucracy!"

Fmr. Senator (and candidate for senate) Al D'Amato (R/C-NY)

"I want to make sure that both candidates are included in the debates, and that we get equal time, equal attention, and that there are 7 of them, Lincoln-Douglas Style!"

Meanwhile....

"America, we need a change.  A change in leadership, a change in our taxation, but we also need to stop the gridlock in Washington.  So vote for change we can believe in!"

- Fmr. Vice President Obama.  His speech is reminiscent of his speech in 2008 supporting John Edwards; both were much less gray and tired-looking back then, though.

Many believe the kiss of death is President Edwards' speech:

"We need to remember who revived the economy, who brought our troops home, and that we need four more years of decent leadership!"

"We need to restore America to fiscal responsibility, and a government which safeguards our freedoms again, but we also need to stop the bickering in Washington"

- Sen. Mark Warner

"We must look to eliminate politics as usual in Washington, and help reach across the aisle to work on real solutions."

- VP candidate Brian Schweitzer

Progressive Convention:

"And so I ask you, America, do you really support this giant Christmas party for the rich that the Republicans and Democrats support?  Can we really afford four years of President Paul or President Warner?"

- Vice President Howard Dean

"Stop the wars, stop the bigotry, and stop the corporate welfare!  We're going all the way to the White House!  We're going to take our country back!  And also, will you please get your grimy dick skinners off of our social security for Christ's sake?!"

"What the hell is this country coming to?!  We haven't had Don't Ask Don't Tell repealed, we haven't accomplished anything in the way of alternative energy, and we're still stuck in a hole of debt and intrusive government.  Well, Mr. President, there are three Americans; the two idiots who vote blue or red no matter what, and the third that truly considers their choices, and it's time the latter had a lever to pull on election day for once!"

- Fmr. Rep. Barney Frank (P-MA)

The major party tickets for 2012:

Ron Paul / Bobby Jindal (Republican)

Mark Warner / Brian Schweitzer (Democratic)

Bernie Sanders / Diane DeGette (Progressive)

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »

Let Sanders beat Warner, pleasee
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2012, 01:18:55 AM by Jerseyrules »

I will not comment yet Wink.  Wait, the primaries are over and Sanders is running as an independent, so technically he could still win Wink.  Btw how would you feel about a VP Barney Frank?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 02:41:15 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2012, 11:08:48 AM by Jerseyrules »

"We need to pass a responsible budget, and we can't do that with a stubborn ass like President Edwards in charge!  We can't keep doing this every year; were in too deep!"

- Sen. John Engler (R-MI) on the senate floor.

"Amato, Sandy: ...."

- Sen. Pataki (R-NY) filibustering the president's appointment of Sonia Sotomayor to replace John Paul Stevens on the Senate Floor by reading the New York City phonebook; the filibuster is considered successful and the president fails to make a single appointment to the Supreme Court, joining Jimmy Carer as the only one-term president never to make an appointment to the Court.

"Amato, Sandy: ...."

- Sen. Pataki (R-NY) filibustering the president's appointment of Sonia Sotomayor to replace John Paul Stevens on the Senate Floor by reading the New York City phonebook; the filibuster is considered successful and the president fails to make a single appointment to the Supreme Court, joining Jimmy Carer as the only one-term president never to make an appointment to the Court.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

I know the primary's over. I'm saying I want him to beat Warner for the second place in the GE. Because we know Paul is going to win this thing Wink

Barney Frank would be an OK VP candidate... but if Sanders wants to finish 2nd, he'd better chose someone like Michael Bennet or Sherrod Brown (liberal senators), Dianne DeGette (I love her) or a liberal governor like O'Malley or even Jerry Brown
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2012, 11:17:37 AM by Jerseyrules »

I know the primary's over. I'm saying I want him to beat Warner for the second place in the GE. Because we know Paul is going to win this thing Wink

Barney Frank would be an OK VP candidate... but if Sanders wants to finish 2nd, he'd better chose someone like Michael Bennet or Sherrod Brown (liberal senators), Dianne DeGette (I love her) or a liberal governor like O'Malley or even Jerry Brown

What, no love for Kucinich? Wink. Because I really didn't have a VP candidate for Sanders, I researched Diana DeGette and I picked her.  This election isn't over yet, and the media hasn't released the newsletter stuff yet, so it's still undecided Wink.  Btw, Jerry brown is not a liberal governor (this decade Wink).  Also, Sanders significantly cuts into Ron Paul's support with young people, and takes away some of his crossover appeal, though both men greatly respect each other ITTL and OTL
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

What, no love for Kucinich? Wink. Because I really didn't have a VP candidate for Sanders, I researched Diana DeGette and I picked her.  This election isn't over yet, and the media hasn't released the newsletter stuff yet, so it's still undecided Wink.  Btw, Jerry brown is not a liberal governor (this decade Wink).  Also, Sanders significantly cuts into Ron Paul's support with young people, and takes away some of his crossover appeal, though both men greatly respect each other ITTL and OTL

Nice pick Wink and thanks for reading my suggestions!!

Yes, Paul and Sanders respect each others because both of them fight for what they think is the best for their country. That's difficult to see in today's congress.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »

What, no love for Kucinich? Wink. Because I really didn't have a VP candidate for Sanders, I researched Diana DeGette and I picked her.  This election isn't over yet, and the media hasn't released the newsletter stuff yet, so it's still undecided Wink.  Btw, Jerry brown is not a liberal governor (this decade Wink).  Also, Sanders significantly cuts into Ron Paul's support with young people, and takes away some of his crossover appeal, though both men greatly respect each other ITTL and OTL

Nice pick Wink and thanks for reading my suggestions!!

Yes, Paul and Sanders respect each others because both of them fight for what they think is the best for their country. That's difficult to see in today's congress.

Also, they're splitting the liberal/socialist/hipster/never-voted-before vote a great deal Wink
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 12:39:02 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2012, 03:58:07 AM by Jerseyrules »

Ron Paul Newsletter Scandal!

Polling:

Paul: 34%; Sanders: 34%; Warner: 27%

The first presidential debate:

"Welcome to the first predidential debate, and I'm Shepherd Smith for CNN.  Now, Congressman Paul, you there's some controversy over some newsletters written in your name a while back, and I was wondering if you'd like to take some time to respond to that-"

"No, but I will."  [roaring laughter and cheers from audience.].  Quite frankly, I'm disgusted that CNN would start a presidential debate with garbage like that-"

"But, Congressman, we didn't break the story-"

"Don't give me that!  It was your network who repeated it, and it was you and your staff who chose to start the debate with that, and quite frankly, I'm shocked that you would choose to break this just weeks before the election.  Now I will tell you this, though.  A long time ago, and this is going back at least twenty years, a young, white-supremacist wrote some despicable things in my name, which may have cost me the nomination last time.  Now, whether or not you believe me, that's your decision.  But in the meantime, let's get back to the real issues, like the federal reserve printing all this money!" [loud cheers]

"And neoliberalism vs. true liberalism and libertarianism"

"That too!"

Post-debate polling:

Paul: 41% - Sanders: 32% - Warner: 22%

Majority Leader Kyl makes the case against the President's budget; calls it "dangerous to toy with public approval at a time when Americans need reassurance" and calls for end to "partisan bickering"

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »

Update soon!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »

This is outrageous! Smiley What do polling maps look like? (and I'll be damned if we let a socialist have first place)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2012, 10:44:28 PM by Jerseyrules »

This is outrageous! Smiley What do polling maps look like? (and I'll be damned if we let a socialist have first place)

Haha, here's a projection, post-debate:

Paul: 264 EV
Sanders: 66 EV
Warner: 16 EV

Tossup: 192 EV
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2012, 10:21:10 PM by Jerseyrules »

Alright Wink

"Welcome to the third debate.  I'm Bret Bair of Fox News.  Now, Senator Warner, you have said that you are the only candidate on this stage who will keep social security intact.  Why is that?"

"Well, Bret, I think it's safe to say that I have the most realistic goal on social security.  While Congressman Paul wants to do away with it, and Senator Sanders has been vocal on a total overhaul, I have the most realistic approach: we slightly raise the payroll tax on the wealthiest Americans while lowering it for those suffering.  We need to stop raiding the social security fund, and there's really nothing wrong with it; why saw off the pipe when you just need to put a little duck tape on the leak?"

"Congressman Paul, you were mentioned first-"

"Well because the American people are tired of duck tape!  Do-it-yourself laziness is what's wrong with this country, and it's time to bring in the plumbers, Senator.  Senator Sanders and I have drastically different plans, considered radical just months ago, but it's clear that the American people trust us more than you with their retirement money.  It is simply a lie to tell the American people that there is nothing wrong with social security.  Raising the cap gains tax is just a short-term solution for a long-term problem.  Once you have some people paying more than they get back, social security changes from a promise to an entitlement program.  And by the way, your statement of my plans with social security is simply a fallacy.  I propose phasing out all entitlement programs in twenty years' time and allowing people to invest their money privately or opt out starting today.  That's always been my plan, and the less government, the more room there is for freedom!"

"Thank you Congressman Paul.  Senator Sanders?"

"Well, you're entirely right Congressman Paul, up until you started talking about your plans.  Now my plan has always been a dramatic hike in the payroll tax on the upper 1% while decreasing, and in the case of those making under 50,000 dollars a year, eliminating, the payroll tax.  This will put more money into the hands of poorer, working-class Americans, while making sure everyone pays their fair share."

"Since you were mentioned, Congressman Paul..."

"Well, I like Bernie and Mark, and you can tell by that we respect each other.  Now it's my opinion that we should not divide America into classes; everyone is an American.  Now - [cheers] now - [applause continues] - alright, now it is my opinion that we should stop dividing this country, and make sure we are soon the United States of America once again!" [roaring cheers]

Polling:

Paul: 46% - Warner: 29% - Sanders: 24%

Who do you think won tonight's debate?

Paul: 57% - Warner: 34% - Sanders: 13%

"Now, tonight's debate will be like the last one and the next two.  There will be no moderators, as agreed by all three campaigns, and candidates will be allowed to pose questions to one another, and there will be no time limit in these last four debates.  Because we couldn't find a three-sided coin, we rolled the dice, and Congressman Paul won, who will speak first, followed by Senator Sanders, and then Senator Warner, in the beginning, though they may choose to allow another candidate to respond if mentioned directly.  There are no time limits, no untouched questions, no boundaries.  So, Congressman Paul, you may begin."

"Well, I'd like to start by thanking the candidates for agreeing to this style of debate.  Now, there is a great deal of controversy swirling around about the newsletters.  I'd like to thank the candidates for not participating in this garbage, and I'd like to pose this to the media: I've already responded to this trash, and I would like to get back to the real issues.  I'd also like to say this: what they've been doing to me just shows how far the media has fallen, and it's only been a matter of time before they find something to say about Senator Sanders and Senator Warner."

"Well, Congressman Paul is entirely right.  We can talk about this day and night, but I want to get back to reality and the real issues, such as his plan to let business be allowed to roam free like its 1929!"  [all candidates laugh].  But in all seriousness, leave Dr. Paul alone, or when I'm president I'll tax you like it's 1939!" [all candidates laugh again.]

"And also, the issue of his not getting anything passed by the Congress save one bill in over twenty years of service."

"Hey, wait a minute, if anything it's his experience.  The last Representative who became president was James Garfield, and look how that turned out-"

"Hey, he's been in Congress longer than us and you're saying that he has no experience-?"

"Uh, can you guys stop defending me long enough for me to get a word in?  [laughter and applause].  Now, the lack of passage of many of my bills just shows how out-of-touch Congress has been with the American people!"

Polling, post-debate:

Paul: 49% - Warner: 29% - Sanders: 21%

Who do you think won last night's debate?

Paul: 53% - Warner: 29% - Sanders: 18%

Palin stumps for Paul in MI!

"Well, gosh darn it it's time for us to take our country back!  They've underestimated us in the Tea Party and our 'grandfather' Ron Paul!  We're sick and tired of all these shenanigans we've had to put up with, from healthcare to irresponsible budgets!  Let's go back to the Ronald Reagan-style system, with low taxes, low regulations, low spending, and balanced budgets, and say goodbye to President Edwards too, America!"

Palin campaigns for Paul in CA!

"We've seen a lot, the president's extension of the PATRIOT ACT, his support for sexual assault in the airport, the Department of Homeland Security expanded, and continuation of foreign wars.  Would you give us back our constitution, Mr. President?"

"What I hadn't counted on was the fervor and enthusiasm [Sarah Palin] could generate.  She could make a hell of a speech, and could really make the money fly in, though she was not a candidate for anything but majority whip.  Not only that, but she tailors her message to her audience, so she doesn't come off too strong.  But she was making herself the face of the next generation.  I'm frankly appalled that I've been able to tow the GOP my way, and I'll be damned if I let them go back to business as usual after this whole things over."

- Diaries of Ron Paul

"Hello and welcome to the final presidential debate, I'm Barbara Walters.  Mr. Warner won the dice roll, so he can go first.  Senator Warner?"

"Thank you, Barbara.  Now, I think I've made it clear that if you want someone on the far left, you can pick Bernie Sanders.  If you want someone on the far right, you can pick Ron Paul.  But if you want someone who will fight for you in Washington and stop the partisan bickering, then I can suggest a third choice.  Me."

"The American people believed Lyndon Johnson 48 years ago against Barry Goldwater, and when Democrats and Republicans wrote off LaFollette as a crazy radical.  The American people don't make the same mistake twice." [cheers and applause]

"...and not only that, but he's the right man at the right time!  He's going to be the next president of the United States, and he's got more than experience!  He is not only a military veteran and a brilliant idea man, but he will win!  After the four years we just had, then we may need to give him a third term just to clean up the mess President Edwards will leave behind!  Ladies and gentlemen, Ron Paul!"

- Senator Herman Cain

Pre-election Night Polling:

Paul: 51% - Warner: 32% - Sanders: 17%

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2012, 11:29:15 PM by Jerseyrules »

Election night 2012:

"....and we can now project Ron Paul has won the election handily with 461 electoral votes..."

Ron Paul / Bobby Jindal: 51% PV; 461 EV
Bernie Sanders / Diane DeGette: 27% PV; 74 EV
Mark Warner / Brian Schweitzer: 22%; 3 EV

Senate races, 2012:

Republicans: 70 (+3)
Democrats: 26 (-9)
Progressives: 7 (+6)

House elections, 2012:

Republicans: 309 (+32)
Democrats: 125 (-46)
Progressives: 83 (+14)

The greatest upset of the night was the defeat of Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who, running for re-election as a Democrat, was defeated by San Francisco Mayor Mike Gonzales; the GOP did not field a candidate.

The Time Person of the Year is Bobby Jindal; Time explains that they broke tradition because Jindal proved that skin color was no longer an issue in American politics, because two color vice presidents in a row, a notable occasion worldwide.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »

The 45th President of the United States:

Ron Paul (R-TX)

The 46th Vice President of the United States:

Robert "Piyush" Jindal (R-LA)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »