Santorum's speech was EXCELLENT!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:34:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum's speech was EXCELLENT!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum's speech was EXCELLENT!!!  (Read 2996 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:10 AM »

Very populist. Good stuff.

Romney's speech was garbage.

It's a shame New Hampshire is up next.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:14 AM »

Populist can sell in NH.  Especially with the voters who like to start trouble up there.  Let's see if he's smart enough to go whole hog.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:09 AM »

Populist is how Clinton won NH. Especially if Huntsman gets a surge of his own and takes some of the Romney vote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:30 AM »

"Populist." You aren't a populist if you praise the working man then pivot into talking about evils of regulations, and making excuses for Walmart jobs, and privatizing Social Security, etc. The poor and working person would be far worse off under all of that BS.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:09 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 01:03:56 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Populist can sell in NH.  Especially with the voters who like to start trouble up there.  Let's see if he's smart enough to go whole hog.

I don't know, Santorum's rhetoric strikes me as too fundamentalist to appeal to an electorate in New Hampshire that is overwhelmingly secular. Didn't Huckabee try to use the populist card in 2008 as well? That didn't work too well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:49 AM »

It really was. A beautiful night indeed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »

NH is a long week and two major debates away.

It wouldn't be unusual if Santorum came from behind.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:04:33 AM »

Populist is how Clinton won NH. Especially if Huntsman gets a surge of his own and takes some of the Romney vote.

Clinton is a Democrat.  And besides, that race was a kind of mixture of all things that move the Democratic party.

I was thinking more of the Buchanan wing.  After all, Santorum's NH coordinator at present was Buchanan's.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:06:35 AM »

If anyone is watching this CNN interview, you can't say that Santorum isn't on his A game tonight. A class act, too.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »

If anyone is watching this CNN interview, you can't say that Santorum isn't on his A game tonight. A class act, too.

He's certainly a good campaigner, and very smart. Knows what he's doing for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the nominee, but there are debates that remain that will be very interesting.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:08:27 AM »

Populist can sell in NH.  Especially with the voters who like to start trouble up there.  Let's see if he's smart enough to go whole hog.

I don't know, Santorum's rhetoric strikes me as too fundamentalist to appeal to an electorate in New Hampshire that is overwhelmingly secular. Didn't Huckabee try to use the populist card in 2008 as well? That didn't work too well.

Huckabee couldn't play the populist card if it was handed to him on a silver platter.  Don't confuse fundamentalist with populist like the 15-year old kids around here do.
Misoir
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:12:58 AM »

I really enjoyed Rick Santorum’s speech. He spoke of the real issue of our day; the collapse of manufacturing, the one thing that has probably hurt more working class Americans than anything else. Add to that he sounded almost Buchanan like tonight, even quoting C.S. Lewis which I thought was fantastic. Pat Buchanan is my favorite Republican, hands down, but Santorum is still not my candidate of choice. His staunch interventionism goes against my non – interventionism, he is also a major Zionist which I am not.
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:08 AM »

Populist?

It was anything but.

Santorum spoke from the pulpit - Romney from the family kitchen.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:19:13 AM »

Huckabee couldn't play the populist card if it was handed to him on a silver platter.  Don't confuse fundamentalist with populist like the 15-year old kids around here do.

I'm not confusing the two, I'm saying that in many ways Santorum is a Huckabee: he built most of his political career off of being a cultural warrior and not in the Buchanan sense but in the Pat Robertson sense. His personal biography is great for playing the role of a populist but what he's built his reputation on was what will come off as loony fundamentalism to most NH voters.

Did you see his favorable numbers there in the last PPP poll? They aren't pretty.

I agree with your analysis on the whole though: Santorum has a shot at doing well in New Hampshire.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:12 AM »

I'm not confusing the two, I'm saying that in many ways Santorum is a Huckabee: he built most of his political career off of being a cultural warrior and not in the Buchanan sense but in the Pat Robertson sense. His personal biography is great for playing the role of a populist but what he's built his reputation on was what will come off as loony fundamentalism to most NH voters.

Did you see his favorable numbers there in the last PPP poll? They aren't pretty.

I agree with your analysis on the whole though: Santorum has a shot at doing well in New Hampshire.

Favorability numbers at this point are very volatile.  Besides, what do you think Santorum's name recognition is in New Hampshire?  I'm just pointing the path to success.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 01:36:02 AM »

It wouldn't be unusual if Santorum came from behind.

You're such a naughty boy King.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »

It's as high as Huntsman's:
Rick Santorum
Favorable 37%
Unfavorable 44%
Not Sure 19%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_NH_12191118.pdf

I think these numbers will improve quite strongly after his Iowa win though. Do any of you guys think that he'll be hit with any attack ads in New Hampshire?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 01:55:19 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2012, 02:07:49 AM by Eraserhead »

Populist?

It was anything but.

Santorum spoke from the pulpit - Romney from the family kitchen.

Umm what?

Anyway, don't get me wrong, guys. I now think there will be a major surge of Santorum all over New Hampshire... but I don't think it will be anywhere near enough to beat Romney there.

But who knows, hopefully I'm wrong. Clearly I was wrong about Santorum's chances in Iowa.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »

Where I can watch this speech?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2012/01/video-rick-santorums-victory-speech.html

I was drunk when I posted this, btw, but I stand by it. I don't like this guy at all but it really was a legitimately good speech.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »

Going into New Hampshire, Paul, Huntsman's and Santorum's main target will be Romney, with Newt likely throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him as well.

This will be the first time Romney has come under huge fire.  Before, everyone ganged up on the flavor of the month.  

It will be interesting to see how well he can endure the onslaught.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2012/01/video-rick-santorums-victory-speech.html

I was drunk when I posted this, btw, but I stand by it. I don't like this guy at all but it really was a legitimately good speech.

a brief yet exhaustive review of your posts last night indicates that you're disappointingly tame when drunk
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 03:04:36 AM »

a brief yet exhaustive review of your posts last night indicates that you're disappointingly tame when drunk

Indeed. This isn't the first time I've posted on here drunk and I doubt anyone has ever noticed any difference when I have. I was only pleasantly drunk/strongly buzzed though, I don't think I've bothered to post on here when completely wasted.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »

Populist can sell in NH.  Especially with the voters who like to start trouble up there.  Let's see if he's smart enough to go whole hog.

Rick Santorum is a crowd-pleaser. He simply needs the 'right' crowd -- the people still convinced that Dubya was a fine President, that America can win any war (against Iran, perhaps?) cheaply, and that homosexuality is more of a threat to their kids' lives than is a great burden of early debt with low-paying jobs. 

Right-wing populism is only selectively attractive. Americans are becoming less amenable to xenophobia, homophobia, and militarism. Santorum may call upon the willingness of his grandfather to take the worst that America could offer (coal mining for scrip usable only at the company store -- the employer cracks the whip but only pretends to pay the worker) just to get freedom for his son Aldo. Is that what Santorum wants for us?

Rick Santorum will need to convince Americans that all that they need to solve their problems is more bureaucratic power of executives, harder work for more hours at lower pay, greater economic inequality, and replacement of the "safety net" with a piked pit will spur prosperity that we have never seen before -- enough to even trickle down. Dubya took baby steps in that direction, and we got the worst economic meltdown in 70 years. Add to that perhaps the privatization of Social Security and Medicare to profiteering hucksters, and Rick Santorum would force upon people the responsibility to take care of themselves with far fewer resources.

The common man is to be responsible to economic elites who have no responsibility toward the common man. That is the economic component of feudalism in old times -- or f-----m in newer times.  Whatever it is it is a raw deal for all but an elite few.
BlondewithaBrain
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »

I feel sorry for repulicans who back mitt romney. a politician that has no personality and a no principles.

then rick santroum you can disagree with him but you cant not respect him as he has maintained his principles.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies