do parents have responsibility to provide for the children's higher education?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:37:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  do parents have responsibility to provide for the children's higher education?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: do parents have responsibility to provide for the children's higher education?  (Read 1132 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »

if they within reason can afford it.  define 'within reason' for yourself and share with us what you determine that to mean.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »

Higher education would preferably be available at minimal cost with state subsidies to very poor people.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:31:28 AM »

No, the state should/does.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:17:59 PM »

No. Not to say they should boot their children out by 18 but this whole mentality that everyone can and should go to college is stupid.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »

Of course not.  They are adults, I'll help if I can, but it's on them.  All my kids know this and will prepare accordingly...or work at Taco Bell their whole life, it's their call.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:16:17 AM »

Personally I like the half, half option (parents and kids each pick up 50%). That's roughly what my parents and I did.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:21:55 AM »

The parents should pay a good amount of taxes, especially a strongly progressive income tax, the government should take that money and provide free education from the nursery to the first university degree for every child, no matter if that child is dirt-poor or born with a silver spoon in it's mouth.

Same system works for health care too, by the way.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »

According to the federal government, they do.  Your financial aid award is based on your parents' income until you are 25 years of age or you are under 25 but have children of your own (and you live on your own).

I also take severe exception to this idea that 'you should get the education that you can afford.'  Why should a stupid rich kid get an ivy league education while a brilliant poor kid gets to work at McDonalds?

If we're going to have a system where "not everybody needs to go to college"... I'd like to invest tax dollars educating those that will benefit the most from it... the smart poor kids.  The rich kids will likely be rich and get a good job regardless of mental aptitude.  Let them rely on daddy and connections.. let the poor kid rely on financial aid and his own mental aptitude.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »

Of course not.  They are adults, I'll help if I can, but it's on them.  All my kids know this and will prepare accordingly...or work at Taco Bell their whole life, it's their call.
Well, I think that's how it works with most families.  You do what you can.  I think it's most important to provide the right environment so your kids can do well in school now and earn scholarships.  Then you strike a balance between academic prestige and affordability as far as schools go.  It's not rocket science... though it is increasingly becoming such.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:53:55 AM »

The parents should pay a good amount of taxes, especially a strongly progressive income tax, the government should take that money and provide free education from the nursery to the first university degree for every child, no matter if that child is dirt-poor or born with a silver spoon in it's mouth.

What about kids going to private schools?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »

Now that pensions have gone the way of the dinosaurs, it's not practical for all but the richest parents. Parents have to go the extra mile to fund their retirements instead.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »

children can be seen as a form of investment.  as tuition rises, perhaps not a very good one.  but the more earning power I have the more likely I'll be to coup my mother up in a room downstairs, when I have a family.  she probably has enough money now but the point holds.  a lifelong laborer at Taco Bell wouldn't even be able to provide our dead zero man with free tacos: I doubt those poor souls even get an employee discount on the meals.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 05:26:32 PM »

children can be seen as a form of investment.  as tuition rises, perhaps not a very good one.  but the more earning power I have the more likely I'll be to coup my mother up in a room downstairs, when I have a family.  she probably has enough money now but the point holds.  a lifelong laborer at Taco Bell wouldn't even be able to provide our dead zero man with free tacos: I doubt those poor souls even get an employee discount on the meals.
People don't want to br dependent on their kids. And there's no guarantee the kids will be willing. Retirement needs to come first. There are loans for school. There are no loans for retirement.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »

People don't want to br dependent on their kids. And there's no guarantee the kids will be willing. Retirement needs to come first. There are loans for school. There are no loans for retirement.

Do retirement needs come first? It might just be because of the neighborhood I live in, but that attitude seems very odd to me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

Do retirement needs come first? It might just be because of the neighborhood I live in, but that attitude seems very odd to me.

there are no real answers to these most unnatural questions.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »

No, that's the responsibility of the state.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:35:25 PM »

sh**t man, I get free tacos at my local Taco Bell all the time and I'm just a loyal and polite customer.  I'd rather the kids work at Subway though and bring that home instead.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »

Not in general, but if they are particularly wealthy, starting a college fund would be a more responsible endeavor than buying a BMW or a yacht.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 02:08:32 AM »

In life you can only depend on yourself. There's no guarantee that your kid isn't going to be a total douche who refuses to do jack for you. Or he may be one of the people who can never get his act together enough to be helpful. Or worse. Awful things happen, unfortunately. You have to take care of yourself first. Only after you feel 100% confident in your retirement (which is nearly impossible given that nobody knows how long they will live or how much care they will need) should college even be a concern. It's the kid's problem. There is plenty of financial aid available.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 03:14:33 AM »

Not everyone has Indian parents with postgraduate degrees who bring in six figures...
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »

What about kids going to private schools?

I don't see the problem?

If parents think that free, state provided public education is not good enough for their offspring, they are free to pay for private schools. As long as they pay their taxes to keep the public education system going, they have done their duty.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »

In life you can only depend on yourself. There's no guarantee that your kid isn't going to be a total douche who refuses to do jack for you. Or he may be one of the people who can never get his act together enough to be helpful. Or worse. Awful things happen, unfortunately. You have to take care of yourself first. Only after you feel 100% confident in your retirement (which is nearly impossible given that nobody knows how long they will live or how much care they will need) should college even be a concern. It's the kid's problem. There is plenty of financial aid available.

and to you, this is the only correct answer?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »

and to you, this is the only correct answer?
It's the most sound method for the parent to manage risk, hands down. How people choose to run their life is their own business, though. I'm not some control freak social conservative, who insists that everybody live their life the way I think they should.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies