Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:54:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98]
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255577 times)
Foucaulf
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: December 30, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

Refresh my memory, Roguebeaver; did any opposition party talk about corruption during the last election? I seem to remember a wave of pundits saying how the Liberals needed to stick to more bread-and-butter issues. The extent to which the Senate Scandal has hurt Harper is a good signal against this: it's not that Canadians don't care about the state of democracy, but that it should be framed in terms of trust.

Kind of surprised at the 45/55 numbers on Mulcair's handling of the economy. Of course, now that U.S. growth figures are surpassing Canada's, we're going to see some convergence.

I'll offer up two pieces of news: The gay pressure group in the Conservative Party and George Smitherman's husband found dead. The second is lurid and hopefully bring up talk about mental health again. The first is typical, but I'll have to point out how they're all gay white males.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2426 on: December 30, 2013, 03:02:14 PM »

Corruption per se: don't think so. One thing that mystifies me is why the media hasn't really touched on Grit support for a carbon tax. Alas, they'll be reminded when the time comes.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2427 on: December 30, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »

Which province is more likely to vote next year: Ontario or Quebec? I'm rather skeptical that either third party will pull the trigger.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2428 on: December 30, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »

Speaking of which, more NDP minority talk at the Star. Wonder which side of Rorange they'll endorse when the time comes.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2429 on: December 30, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »

Which province is more likely to vote next year: Ontario or Quebec? I'm rather skeptical that either third party will pull the trigger.

Ontario. Legault would have to be suicidal to pull the trigger.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2430 on: December 31, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »

Ontario will definitely go. With all the talk about Quebec going in the Fall, isn't it likely they will go too?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2431 on: December 31, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »

Depends whether Legault sticks to his high-stakes demands or chickens out. Marois said the budget won't come down till late March. Between that and other things like the charter public hearings, a vote probably wouldn't happen till June. I'll predict that the PQ is reelected with either a strong minority or small majority, Ontario is a minority regardless of who wins. As usual, I'm pessimistic about Ontario after the past 2 campaigns.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2432 on: December 31, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

I think the Liberals will win a majority in Quebec.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2433 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »

Premier Horwath would be too good to be true, so of course it'll never happen.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2434 on: December 31, 2013, 06:03:17 PM »

Philippe-flop's awfully catchy, don't you think? Tongue

Year-end interviews with Trudeau and May. Worth noting the Grit open nominations system though I doubt anyone gets a high-profile challenge, as fun as that'd be to watch. Just as meaningless as replacing de jure with de facto appointments.
njwes
United States

« Reply #2435 on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »

I have a question about the Bloc Qébécois. Wherever I've seen them referred to in any depth, they're always referred to as a left or center-left party. Is that true though? Or in reality do they act more as a big-tent party with the general idea of "Quebecness" (sure there's a better word) overriding left-right political differences?

It just always struck me that they must be the latter, or else they wouldn't have been able (in the past at least) to win such impressive victories in the province as a whole. Would those who would vote for Coalition Avenir Québec at the provincial level still vote for the BQ in the federal elections? (ignoring the 2011 federal, lolz)

Also--just a random thought--what party would a conservative nationalist in Quebec vote for? As in a conservative with a more traditionalist streak--not a free market conservative but let's say a traditional Catholic who wants more autonomy for Quebec? Would they feel comfortable voting for BQ? Of course, there may not be enough traditionalist Catholic sovereigntists in Quebec to justify the existence of this question Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2436 on: January 06, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »

Hi.

First off, we've started a new thread, but I'll address your questions anyways.

The BQ is generally left of centre, because most sovereigntists are left of centre. There are some right wing sovereigntists, but not many. They are theoretically a big tent party.

I'm sure many BQ voters voted CAQ on the provincial level, although the strongest CAQ areas were also the strongest Conservative areas, so the Tories are obviously their main federal counterpart.

To answer your last question, why wouldn't a Quebec social conservative vote Conservative like anywhere else in the country? Or are you confusing the PQ (provincial) with the BQ (federal)? Provincially, a social conservative sovereigntist is a rare breed.  Not sure who they would vote for. I know RB abstains from voting, but he might be a federalist. He's been mum as to why he doesn't vote for CAQ, PLQ or the provincial conservatives (which are federalist, but a fringe party)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2437 on: January 06, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »

Well, the Bloc was more economically right-wing in the 90's and the outgoing leader was trying to return in the center, but now than he resigned, who knows what happens? But they are (or rather were) a big tent party, like PQ, for all Quebec nationalists, even right-wing ones. For them, independance is more important than other questions.

There is 2 types of CAQ voters. The suburban "soccer mom" families of Montreal suburbs, which clearly voted NDP federally the last time. Those aren't very ideological and they are soft nationalists. Current polling is suggesting than those voters will come back at PQ. The other type is in Quebec City area, which is voting NDP or Conservative.

For your third question, PQ, Liberals and CAQ are pretty at the same place on social issues, they are socially liberal (the Liberals are a little bit more conservative, but only a very little bit, so it doesn't matter). They are used to it and, as all parties think the same, this is never the subject of an election.

And the traditionnal Catholic is Francophone and sees Canadian multiculturalism as a threat to them and wants independance from the English and Protestant Canada. Traditionnal Catholics are very nationalist (but a minority in the independance movement).
njwes
United States

« Reply #2438 on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »

Hatman and MaxQue thank you, very helpful!
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #2439 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »

Will Calgary finally be free of the embarrassment known as Rob Anders come 2015?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2440 on: January 07, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »

a) Doubtful, the dude is good at winning nomination races, plus he's something of a safety valve for the base.

b) There's a new Canada GD thread here
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies