Canada General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:12:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 98
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion  (Read 255573 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

$82 for a 12 pack of Ginger Ale (355mL cans)!

It may sound heartless, but no one is forcing them to live there.

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

That doesn't sound like "traditional hunting" to me.

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.

"Afford?" I don't know if that's an appropriate word, considering their society wasn't exactly capitalist. I would hope that you can see why going back to a pre-colonization traditional way of life isn't exactly an option.

They can't have their cake and eat it too and expect other people to pay for the cake as well.  That's beyond unreasonable.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »

I knew everything cost more in Nunavut, but some of these prices are really shocking: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/08/nunavut-food-hunger-protest_n_1581485.html#s=more231471

$82 for a 12 pack of Ginger Ale (355mL cans)!

It may sound heartless, but no one is forcing them to live there.

If that's your response to income inequality, hunger and high food prices in the northern territories, then you wouldn't make a good social democrat. But I'm sure you already knew that. Smiley

How does providing subsidies to those living in certain areas but not in others make one a good social democrat?  I'd oppose such subsidies for the same reason I am opposed to the US flood insurance program that subsidizes people who choose to live along the coast in hurricane zones.

Under the circumstances tho, I could see offering the people who live north of 55N assistance in relocating to a less remote location.

I see you have no concept of emotional attachment to where one lives, and how much more important it is for aboriginals such as the Inuit. Not to mention the complete culture shock of having to move from their traditional territory down south. That leads to huge social problems for them, worse than the problems of living up north.

If they want to purchase a 12-pack of ginger ale, then odds are they aren't really living authentically one with the nature using every part of the animal etc.

If you read the article, you would see that traditional hunting costs just as much as actual groceries, so that's a moot point.

"Nunavut's larder of "country food" — caribou, seals, fish and other animals — is there for the taking, but only if people can afford the snowmobiles, gas, rifles, ammunition and gear needed to travel safely. Elliott estimates hunting costs about $150 a day."

That doesn't sound like "traditional hunting" to me.

OK, do you suggest that feeding and using a dog team would be any cheaper/less time consuming?

That's why they have their "emotional attachment to the land," is it not?  Also, they were able to afford it for a few thousand years.

"Afford?" I don't know if that's an appropriate word, considering their society wasn't exactly capitalist. I would hope that you can see why going back to a pre-colonization traditional way of life isn't exactly an option.

They can't have their cake and eat it too and expect other people to pay for the cake as well.  That's beyond unreasonable.

"expecting other people to pay" may not even have to be an option. But even if it is an option, there is definitely a strategic value for the country to have people living in northern communities, especially as the north opens up due to climate change. Many Inuit are being employed as Arctic rangers, in defence of Arctic sovereignty. "Arctic sovereignty" is actually a huge part of Stephen Harper's agenda.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »

Earl, stop.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #553 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:25 PM »

All omnibus these next 10 days as the session wraps up, since Scheer ruled against May this morning.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #554 on: June 11, 2012, 09:57:05 PM »

Ivison says the opposition is in part to blame for the Omnibust.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/06/11/john-ivison-the-opposition-shares-the-blame-for-creating-omnibus-bill-mess/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #555 on: June 11, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »

So, he is blaming the Opposition for opposing?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #556 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »

He's blaming them for bad strategy- saying they could have forced rule changes during the Harper minorities. As if Dion or Iggy were capable of outfoxing Harper in that sort of situation.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #557 on: June 12, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »

If he keeps himself out of trouble for a little longer, I certainly wouldn't mind Bernier swapping places with Paradis.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/06/12/john-ivison-berniers-maverick-call-for-bilingualism-reignites-conservative-push-in-quebec/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #558 on: June 13, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »

lol budget vote: http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=2177072181
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #559 on: June 13, 2012, 09:05:42 PM »

Considering everything goin' on in that budget, just calling it a "budget" is almost completely disingenuous.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #560 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »

There will be 800+ amendments; the MPs will be pulling an all nighter.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »

And they're still going...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #562 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #563 on: June 15, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »

Someone will blink.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mcguinty-wont-rule-anything-out-in-ontario-budget-standoff/article4266004/
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #564 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »

God. If I had a choice between listening to Dad's self-righteous scolding or putting a bullet in my mouth...

A snap election would be horrible.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #565 on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »

Yes... because with Dad's political luck and his opponents' penchant for self-destruction he could well get a real majority. *Puke*
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »

Well, no. I don't think that would happen. I'm thinking more along the lines of the type of candidates a snap election would produce. Recruitment would be rushed, which could be a bad thing if another party won gouvernment.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2012, 01:10:51 PM »

Only been 8 months since the last election, so presumably most people would just renominate. At any rate Horwath went all soft at a presser this morning, so she'll cut a deal with Dad.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #568 on: June 15, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »

All 3 parties should look at this, particularly our Grit friends.

http://www.punditsguide.ca/2012/06/explaining-the-2011-federal-election-i-who-switched-to-whom-and-when/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #569 on: June 15, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »

How long before the Supremes look at this?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-supreme-court-strikes-down-ban-on-physician-assisted-suicide/article4267631/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »

While I wouldn't rule out entirely the idea of Charest pulling yet another rabbit out of his hat, largely agreed with Hebert.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1212097--hebert-jean-charest-s-hand-has-once-again-been-weakened
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #571 on: June 16, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »

We know that the BC Grits are ficked with a rusty knife, new polling just confirms it.

http://threehundredeight.blogspot.ca/2012/06/bc-new-democrats-hover-near-50.html#comment-form
Foucaulf
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

Only the Ipsos poll is publicly available, and that's even more terrifying for the Liberals. the NDP leads in every single demographic - the closest the Liberals get is being eight points behind in the "75k+" group.

The only question now is if the Liberals survive the election. They should, since the Conservatives are now stagnating. Cummins has no charisma and not even a riding on which he can ride into the legislature. Kevin Falcon will probably win the leadership election after the Liberals lose in 2013, after which he'll target Conservative voters by offering to scrap the carbon tax and the like.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

Hopefully Falcon does win that race. While I'm sympathetic to the BCCP, Dix is way too left-wing (IMO) for the luxury of an extended '90s-style duel for centre-right supremacy.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »

Does this link to the BC poll work for you guys?

Here's another national Forum poll with 37 NDP/30 CPC/22 LPC. With Trudeau, it's 32 NDP/28 CPC/28 LPC.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 98  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies